Unable to get EPG123 to work with WMC7

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
spqr1

HTPC Specs: Show details

Unable to get EPG123 to work with WMC7

Post by spqr1 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:49 pm

EPG123 can NOT be made to work with WMC. Worked on it for several days. No matter what I do, the WMC program guide remains without data when using EPG123 (Yes, I followed the "how-to" PDF to the letter). Incredibly frustrating.
So I gave up, let's hope Rovi remains active with WMC for a bit longer .
It is a good thing "Schedules Direct" membership offered a free 7 day trial, otherwise I would have been in the hole for 25 dollars. That was the only good thing that came out of this horrible EPG123 experience.
EPG123? Junk. Don't waste your time.

dkrom

Post by dkrom » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:21 pm

I'm glad I made the switch to epg123 and I'm running Windows 7 WMC. I realize you haven't had a good experience, but please don't give a program that is running great for many users a bad name because it might just be something conflicting in your system is that causing the problem. I appreciate garyan for all of his support (he's not a large company trying to make $$). Did you try asking him or this board for help?

RyC

Post by RyC » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:55 pm

If EPG123 has made you this frustrated trying to get it to work, maybe WMC isn't for you and you'll be much happier with a Tivo ;)

jkr4m3r

Post by jkr4m3r » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:02 am

Works great here, although I did have issues until the recent update. BTW, I bought 2 months of SD for $6 to give me time to sort out the issues I was having.

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:19 am

This is a patently false statement since many, many of us are using it just fine with WMC7.
It's obvious you are frustrated but your statement should be "I can't get EPG123 to work on WMC7".
If you want to keep trying, you should post in the EPG123 subforum and Gary and/or others here will try to help.

captain_video

Post by captain_video » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:10 pm

The OP reminds me of a guy over at the Tivo Community Forum. He bashed WMC left and right because he could never get it to work right. Of course, because he couldn't get it to work it must be a piece of crap because he's technically competent and knows everything about computers. That and he didn't like the UI in WMC so it must be a horrible app.

I've been using EPG123 since shortly after it was introduced. I've got it up and running on three HTPCs and it works great, and I didn't have the benefit of the detailed tutorial that's available now. I know just enough about PCs to get myself into trouble so I figure if I could get it up and running with no problems then it can't be that hard. It's relatively easy to configure and use, at least for most of us. Clearly there are those that fall into the category of being unable to follow simple instructions. My Schedules Direct subscription just came up for renewal and it's the best $25 per year I've spent in a long time. You can keep the POS Rovi guide. EPG123 is the best thing that ever happened to WMC.

The question remains as to whether or not the OP sought any help in getting EPG123 configured on his HTPC before declaring it a total failure. If that's the case then he is making an unfair assessment of a great utility that has helped us break the ties with both Microsoft and Rovi and allow us to keep using WMC for as long as possible. Communities like this are here to offer assistance and not just a public soapbox for you to express your displeasure because you can't get the utility to work. You are clearly missing something that's not allowing EPG123 to function as it should. Perhaps you are still agreeing to the guide data terms of service at the beginning of WMC setup. Either that or I suspect you are doing something that is preventing the complete deletion of the eHome directory prior to setting up EPG123. Have you checked to make sure the directory has been deleted before proceeding with the setup? This is critical to the successful installation and setup of EPG123. Looking at the latest set of instructions, setup and configuration looks ridiculously simple compared to what it used to be, and it was never all that hard to begin with.
Last edited by captain_video on Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:24 pm

spqr1 wrote:EPG123 can NOT be made to work with WMC. Worked on it for several days. No matter what I do, the WMC program guide remains without data when using EPG123 (Yes, I followed the "how-to" PDF to the letter). Incredibly frustrating.
So I gave up, let's hope Rovi remains active with WMC for a bit longer .
It is a good thing "Schedules Direct" membership offered a free 7 day trial, otherwise I would have been in the hole for 25 dollars. That was the only good thing that came out of this horrible EPG123 experience.
EPG123? Junk. Don't waste your time.
spqr1: There are around 900 users (that I'm aware of) successfully using epg123 right now. That being said, there have been some reports like yours with the new version v1.1.0. I recommend trying with version 1.0.2 to see if that works for your particular setup. If you are willing, you can help us all figure out what is going wrong ... right now, I'm kinda in the dark with such non-detailed reports of problems. Otherwise, if v1.0.2 works for you, go with it and monitor these forums, and my website, to see when a fix is found.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

AJNegron

Post by AJNegron » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:46 pm

I'll agree with the many satisfied users, which includes me, that are glad with EPG123 and will never go back.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:58 pm

OP: Instead of posting a diatribe and then disappearing, perhaps a better approach would be to describe in detail the exact steps taken so we can do our best to provide assistance.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:56 pm

OP registered just to post that? :crazy:
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1