Guide Data Outage - Fall 2016 Edition

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
Space

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Space » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:20 am

This is usually an overlapping program. If you move all the way to the right so that the empty slot is off screen, then left arrow back, you will see the overlapping program show up in that empty space.

mafaldatv

Post by mafaldatv » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:55 pm

mafaldatv wrote:Got through time change without problems, but now have not gotten updates for 2 days (though usually it doesn't update till the a.m. for me). Normally have 13 days but now down to 11. Anybody else? Charter S.Calif.
:clap: Well panicked one cycle too soon. Around here it seems updates don't hit until after when my PC downloads in the evening. The AM download hit at 5am and I'm back to 13 days. I didn't do any manual updates.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:19 pm

Funny.... I dual boot on my HTPC with 7 and 8.1....I backed up 8.1 and installed 7 to upgrade to 10 (before the cut over, so I can have a license for it on this machine). SO, at this point I was running WINdows 7 and 10....testing the WMC on 10.

For the record, I don't do a standard dual boot, there is no option on startup to Pick the OS, to change OS to OS, I need to go to , Control Panel>System>Advanced System settings> Select "Start up and Recovery" and change the Default Operation system, with both check boxes disabled. Then reboot. same the other way around.

SO, I backed up 10 and restored my 8.1 install from about 3 months ago. Now guide data on 8.1 is a mess, some channels have guide data, others do not. I have tried to update, do the HOST file, changes. with keep getting a failure on updating the guide. I really want to avoid re-running TV setup if possible.

Any idea ?
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

Bee_Dee_3_Dee

Post by Bee_Dee_3_Dee » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:24 pm

DavidinCT wrote:Funny.... I dual boot on my HTPC with 7 and 8.1....I backed up 8.1 and installed 7 to upgrade to 10 (before the cut over, so I can have a license for it on this machine). SO, at this point I was running WINdows 7 and 10....testing the WMC on 10.

For the record, I don't do a standard dual boot, there is no option on startup to Pick the OS, to change OS to OS, I need to go to , Control Panel>System>Advanced System settings> Select "Start up and Recovery" and change the Default Operation system, with both check boxes disabled. Then reboot. same the other way around.

SO, I backed up 10 and restored my 8.1 install from about 3 months ago. Now guide data on 8.1 is a mess, some channels have guide data, others do not. I have tried to update, do the HOST file, changes. with keep getting a failure on updating the guide. I really want to avoid re-running TV setup if possible.

Any idea ?
my guide ran out 2day at 6 pm. (Indiana Bright House)

dbbowser

Post by dbbowser » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:00 am

All HD channel guide data gone at 7PM for me. Comcast in NJ.

I did the same trick as last time: switched zipcode and provider, waited 10-15 min for HD channel data to populate and then switched back. :crazy:

Solo

Post by Solo » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:02 am

Update: It worked.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Brighthouse Winter Park (Orlando, FL). Out of data tonight starting at 7pm. Most all premium content (not local OTA) "No data Available".

Guess I'll try change to different cable provider in setup and back again to see if it works this time.

Ridiculous.

JonDeutsch

Post by JonDeutsch » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:55 am

I tried the same trick, but it did not work -- at least not fully. Most of my network HD channels are "NO DATA AVAILABLE" yet some stations that were previously empty are now filled with guide data. I don't understand how I could have 2/3rd guide data but not 100% guide data.

What's the remedy?

EPG123 seems compelling...but it's a complete wipe to get it working. I'd want to at least be able to export my series record list and plug-ins before I blew it all away!

Jon
Solo wrote:Update: It worked.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Brighthouse Winter Park (Orlando, FL). Out of data tonight starting at 7pm. Most all premium content (not local OTA) "No data Available".

Guess I'll try change to different cable provider in setup and back again to see if it works this time.

Ridiculous.

Solo

Post by Solo » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:44 am

I wait about 15 -20 minutes for guide data to download while on alt. cable provider for mcupdate.exe to run, then switch back to Brighthouse. I did not change zipcode, just to AT&T and back.
JonDeutsch wrote:I tried the same trick, but it did not work -- at least not fully. Most of my network HD channels are "NO DATA AVAILABLE" yet some stations that were previously empty are now filled with guide data. I don't understand how I could have 2/3rd guide data but not 100% guide data.

What's the remedy?

EPG123 seems compelling...but it's a complete wipe to get it working. I'd want to at least be able to export my series record list and plug-ins before I blew it all away!

Jon

Ridiculous.

Bee_Dee_3_Dee

Post by Bee_Dee_3_Dee » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:59 pm

Solo wrote:I wait about 15 -20 minutes for guide data to download while on alt. cable provider for mcupdate.exe to run, then switch back to Brighthouse. I did not change zipcode, just to AT&T and back.
k
i'm Brighthouse Indiana.
i just made a full backup. and i am trying ATT too right now, for 15 minuets.

(But just running signal setup and selecting Brighthouse didn't work, Solo?)

nm ^^ i just got the guide error 5 minuets after switching to ATT.
So i'm switching back now to Brighthouse signal...
...wait... before switching back to Brighthouse signal, i decided to check my guide status, and i now have:
  • ---i have most all HD channels but they are mislabeled, but they tune-in np. (example Disney is CNN, etc.)
    ---a full 12 days of channels!
    ---a few (that prob require my Cable card to correctly sync them- or else they won't show) are missing. But cool np.
    ---but hey, before, ALL my guide was blank. and i was like blank-blank blank-blanking it! lol :)
I 'bet the farm'; that when i switch back to a Brighthouse signal; that all will be AOK again! :) (TY Solo!)

Here goes nut'.... ;)
(wow! that spinning wheel on a Core-2 Duo PC is torture! lol)
Signal done.
and the verdict is...

The Farm is safe! :D (TY again Solo!)

Note:
  • ---All my series are fine. And automatically running and setup correctly and recording my shows!

---But, (and it is cool) my Favorite channel lineup is gone. That is perfectly logical. (Because the Signal was ran for ATT and then back to Brighthouse.)

---So, anyone be warned that favorites will disapear. np for me, because i can easily recreate my favorites line-up.
    (Is there a way, to know if needed in the future, to back-up Favorite Channels? ty)
i luv a good problem. especially solved! ;)

Solo

Post by Solo » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:08 pm

Congrats!

I got a dload error during AT&T switch, clicked ok. Watched mcupdate.exe in taskmgr.exe error and it was still active (actually a second one started as well) so just let it run for 20 mins. I then closed and reopened Media Center and data was there. Then switched back to Brighthouse and all was good. Happy chore for two systems. ha.
Bee_Dee_3_Dee wrote:
Solo wrote:I wait about 15 -20 minutes for guide data to download while on alt. cable provider for mcupdate.exe to run, then switch back to Brighthouse. I did not change zipcode, just to AT&T and back.
k
i'm Brighthouse Indiana.
i just made a full backup. and i am trying ATT too right now, for 15 minuets.

(But just running signal setup and selecting Brighthouse didn't work, Solo?)

nm ^^ i just got the guide error 5 minuets after switching to ATT.
So i'm switching back now to Brighthouse signal...
...wait... before switching back to Brighthouse signal, i decided to check my guide status, and i now have:
  • ---i have most all HD channels but they are mislabeled, but they tune-in np. (example Disney is CNN, etc.)
    ---a full 12 days of channels!
    ---a few (that prob require my Cable card to correctly sync them- or else they won't show) are missing. But cool np.
    ---but hey, before, ALL my guide was blank. and i was like blank-blank blank-blanking it! lol :)
I 'bet the farm'; that when i switch back to a Brighthouse signal; that all will be AOK again! :) (TY Solo!)

Here goes nut'.... ;)
(wow! that spinning wheel on a Core-2 Duo PC is torture! lol)
Signal done.
and the verdict is...

The Farm is safe! :D (TY again Solo!)

Note:
  • ---All my series are fine. And automatically running and setup correctly and recording my shows!

---But, (and it is cool) my Favorite channel lineup is gone. That is perfectly logical. (Because the Signal was ran for ATT and then back to Brighthouse.)

---So, anyone be warned that favorites will disapear. np for me, because i can easily recreate my favorites line-up.
    (Is there a way, to know if needed in the future, to back-up Favorite Channels? ty)
i luv a good problem. especially solved! ;)

Bee_Dee_3_Dee

Post by Bee_Dee_3_Dee » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:54 pm

Solo wrote:Congrats!

I got a dload error during AT&T switch, clicked ok. Watched mcupdate.exe in taskmgr.exe error and it was still active (actually a second one started as well) so just let it run for 20 mins. I then closed and reopened Media Center and data was there. Then switched back to Brighthouse and all was good. Happy chore for two systems. ha.
funny story: i called my cable provider a week ago, for an unrelated prob. (NBA-channel-missing-Cavs-playing-fan-nite.) And they (the tech) suggested i bring in my Cable card and trade it in for another one. wtwtff lol sry for the language but it was like telling someone with a flat tire to get a new car. lol :D hek it was more like a tire-valve-cover missing.lol (i deduced it could be fixed by Power cycling my Tuning adapter for a full 60 seconds, versus a mere 15 seconds, and it fixed it. But nooooo. Wat u need is a new car. LOL)

i sure am glad i didn't call my cable provider 2day and used The Green Button site, again. TY TheGreenButton Dot TV and Solo too. :)

But it reminds me, i do need a backup plan for my Ceton 4-tuner USB; in case it ever fails. (i should have had the contingency ages ago.)

is the SiliconDust HDHomeRun PRIME Cable HDTV (3-Tuner) my only option?
(i'll need two of them and an extra Cable card, but i think Brighthouse will hand deliver the cable card.) ty

Solo

Post by Solo » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:03 pm

I love my SD Homerun Prime (network, 3 tuner) on second system (for wife's recordings, backup and as option to viewing other system via Linksys Extender on porch). A lot of different programing and 4 Samsungs to feed. lol

Amazing how little cable companies know about cable cards. I'm always telling them what to do.
Bee_Dee_3_Dee wrote:
Solo wrote:Congrats!

funny story: i called my cable provider a week ago, for an unrelated prob. (NBA-channel-missing-Cavs-playing-fan-nite.) And they (the tech) suggested i bring in my Cable card and trade it in for another one. wtwtff lol sry for the language but it was like telling someone with a flat tire to get a new car. lol :D hek it was more like a tire-valve-cover missing.lol (i deduced it could be fixed by Power cycling my Tuning adapter for a full 60 seconds, versus a mere 15 seconds, and it fixed it. But nooooo. Wat u need is a new car. LOL)

i sure am glad i didn't call my cable provider 2day and used The Green Button site, again. TY TheGreenButton Dot TV and Solo too. :)

But it reminds me, i do need a backup plan for my Ceton 4-tuner USB; in case it ever fails. (i should have had the contingency ages ago.)

is the SiliconDust HDHomeRun PRIME Cable HDTV (3-Tuner) my only option?
(i'll need two of them and an extra Cable card, but i think Brighthouse will hand deliver the cable card.) ty

Bee_Dee_3_Dee

Post by Bee_Dee_3_Dee » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:54 pm

Solo wrote:I love my SD Homerun Prime (network, 3 tuner) on second system (for wife's recordings, backup and as option to viewing other system via Linksys Extender on porch). A lot of different programing and 4 Samsungs to feed. lol

Amazing how little cable companies know about cable cards. I'm always telling them what to do.

cool.

i guess starting with single SD Homerun Prime, before my Ceton ever gas a chance to fail, is the way to go.

where's the best place to purchase, an SD Homerun Prime? ty

Edit:

https://www.silicondust.com/support/wheretobuy/

i'm going to get one at my local Fry Electronics ($124.99). They have eight of them already in the store. :)

JonDeutsch

Post by JonDeutsch » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:45 pm

I did wait, but I'm not sure if I waited long enough. Are you suggesting that I check the running processes list and don't switch back until mcupdate.exe is off the list?

Also, FYI, when I did this switch back-and-forth yesterday, it unpaired my CableCard from Comcast! It created a new Data code. That doesn't make any sense, does it??

Thx.
Jon
JonDeutsch wrote:I tried the same trick, but it did not work -- at least not fully. Most of my network HD channels are "NO DATA AVAILABLE" yet some stations that were previously empty are now filled with guide data. I don't understand how I could have 2/3rd guide data but not 100% guide data.

What's the remedy?

Jon

Ridiculous.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:41 pm

Oh, Well, my Windows 8.1 partition was showing "no guide available" errors on a lot of channes besides the locals.... and now my Windows 7 is showing the same exact thing (primary OS for WMC is on 7).

Is the only way to fix this to CHANGE to a different provider like I did 2 months ago on the last outage ?

This is getting to be a pain in the A$$ if I have to do this every few months... Reset back, remove all channels from the guide, add the 50 or so I get, go into the Guide tool and renumber 10 channels (example:so 3.1 shows in the guide, NOT 1003, just the way I prefer to have it setup).

A 1/2 hour to an hour process.... every time..
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Kanistic

Post by Kanistic » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:28 am

@DavidinCT, I'm right there with you, very frustrating. I'm now looking into new methods of watching my live/recorded TV shows, as WMC's guide issue is really becoming a pain. I noticed that I was missing a few recordings and then while finally going to watch ESPN today, I realized that my guide was once again missing data, smh.
I'm going to give SD Homerun Prime a try with their dedicated app.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:59 am

Kanistic wrote:I'm now looking into new methods of watching my live/recorded TV shows, as WMC's guide issue is really becoming a pain. I noticed that I was missing a few recordings and then while finally going to watch ESPN today, I realized that my guide was once again missing data, smh.
Why not give EPG123 a try?
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:02 pm

Scallica wrote:
Kanistic wrote:I'm now looking into new methods of watching my live/recorded TV shows, as WMC's guide issue is really becoming a pain. I noticed that I was missing a few recordings and then while finally going to watch ESPN today, I realized that my guide was once again missing data, smh.
Is there a free method to use EPG123 ? Right now, free is the deal.

Can you actually get Zap2it back or is it just Schedules direct ?
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:41 pm

DavidinCT wrote:
Scallica wrote:
Is there a free method to use EPG123 ? Right now, free is the deal.

Can you actually get Zap2it back or is it just Schedules direct ?
EPG123 is free software. A Schedules Direct subscription is $25 a year, with a 7 day free trial. You can ask for an extended trial if necessary.

Schedules Direct pulls data from Gracenote which is owned by Tribune Media Services which owns Zap2it.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

Bee_Dee_3_Dee

Post by Bee_Dee_3_Dee » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:10 pm

DavidinCT wrote:
Scallica wrote:
Kanistic wrote:
EPG123 is free software. A Schedules Direct subscription is $25 a year, with a 7 day free trial. You can ask for an extended trial if necessary.

Schedules Direct pulls data from Gracenote which is owned by Tribune Media Services which owns Zap2it.
Interesting... :think: i did not know that ^^. cool. i'm still putting off getting EGP123.

But, because EGP123, $12-a-year= $2-a-month. And $2-a-month is $2-a-month; and I just got NBA League Pass yesterday for five payments of $44.99. And procrastinating on EPG123 is like getting NBA League Pass for five payments of $42.99. ;)
(Note: for the 1st day, My EGP Guide Showed No Data, for the 9 NBA LP channels; but today i woke-up to discovered my EPG was correctly showing all information for the 9 NBA channels. :D And for the rest of this NBA Season i can see any game LIVE, or Program them to be recorded!!! :D This is the 1st time in over 7 years; that i've wanted NBA LP, that, i finally invested in it.)

But ty for the info, Kanistic ("Schedules Direct pulls data from Gracenote which is owned by Tribune Media Services which owns Zap2it"). It sounds even more, than like before; closest to the perfect solution u could ask for. (Just not free.)

Because EPG123 is a contingency i plan to implement if need be; I did see last month how easy it is to install it. For example, just DL, Unzip, Open the install Readme.PDF, and follow the steps.

But for now, my Legacy WMC EPG is still working fine-and-free-4-me. :) Brighthouse Indiana. (Anyone else with probs, that is Brighthouse, see Solo's last couple posts for how to fix it.)