How to investigate a missed recording

Gravydog

HTPC Specs: Show details

How to investigate a missed recording

Post by Gravydog » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:06 am

Is there a way to find out why a recording didn't happen?

I have a series recording set up for America's Got Talent and I just sat down to watch the announcement of the winner today, Sept. 14. There was no recording! I am guessing it may have been due to a guide data issue such as Rovi titling this episode differently somehow or they used the same description as yesterday's show so WMC treated it as having already been recorded or maybe it was flagged as a repeat. I would like to know how it happened so I can avoid the problem in the future, but how can I do that? The History is no help as it makes no mention of the show at all today. Is there a way to look back in the guide data to help me analyze this?

Rob

Space

Post by Space » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:46 am

The reason it didn't record was because the OAD was 9/7/2016 and that is more than 7 days from the airing date of 9/14/2016. WMC does not consider a show NEW unless the OAD is within 7 days of the airing date.

Yes, Rovi gave the episode an incorrect OAD and it is a fairly common mistake they make, so I always recommend to use the "New & Rerun" option on all Series (go right now and make it the defailt) except ones that would record too many older episodes that you don't want to record.

Series will not record the same episode more than once no matter what option you set, so if you set to "New & Rerun" and also set it to record from an explicit channel, it should only record new episodes of your show.

An example of a show where you would not want to do this is "The Simpsons", where they are airing old repeats of the show on the same channel as the first-run episodes. But for most shows it should be fine, as long as you have been recording those shows for a while (in which case any repeats will not be re-recorded), they don't air many repeats of the show on that same channel, or there are no previous seasons of the show (new series).

I feel bad because I've known about this problem since it appeared in the guide 12 days ago, and posted about it in the TiVo forums (since they had TiVo people monitoring it and fixing issues, I thought it might get fixed by them). I used to post in these forums about these issues, but I stopped due to getting tired of doing Rovi's job.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:17 pm

Gravydog wrote: I would like to know how it happened so I can avoid the problem in the future, but how can I do that?
Bad guide data.

Switch to EPG123.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

Gravydog

Post by Gravydog » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:33 pm

Thanks to both of you for taking the time to reply. I will look into EPG123, I'm tired of Jimmy Kimmel often having a generic description, as well.

I don't think the title of my thread is the one I gave it. I assume someone changed it, is this common?

Rob

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:35 pm

Gravydog wrote:I don't think the title of my thread is the one I gave it. I assume someone changed it, is this common?
Yes, sometimes the staff makes adjustments.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct