How can I add custom cover art?

duder_me

HTPC Specs: Show details

How can I add custom cover art?

Post by duder_me » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:23 pm

I recently used AnyDVD to rip my DVD collection, and it automatically added in its own dvdid.xml file for metadata. However, I don't like how the movie titles and the cover art turned out, so how can I change them to use the exact titles and images I want? I tried the Folder.jpg method, but I may have missed something that prevented it from working. I don't want to use any add-ins or processes running in the background to accomplish this goal.

DrSmith

Post by DrSmith » Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:27 pm

I did not use AnyDVD, but I rip all my DVDs to mp4 or m4v (apple) format with handbrake and makemkv. I used the program mp3tag to embed my preferred cover art into the mp4s. I put each movie in its own folder with its own folder.jpg. Works great on WMC, my choice of covers, no add-ins required.

duder_me

Post by duder_me » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:06 pm

DrSmith wrote:I did not use AnyDVD, but I rip all my DVDs to mp4 or m4v (apple) format with handbrake and makemkv. I used the program mp3tag to embed my preferred cover art into the mp4s. I put each movie in its own folder with its own folder.jpg. Works great on WMC, my choice of covers, no add-ins required.
So, can it generate XML files and cover art for my VIDEO_TS folders? I just loaded up the program, and it seems like something geared more towards music libraries.

DrSmith

Post by DrSmith » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:12 pm

Sorry, I should have said that I ripped AND converted all my DVDs to mpeg4 format. I don't have any VIDEO_TS folders in my collection so my advice may not be useful. All my movies end up in a single .mp4 file and mp3tag works just fine to insert cover art. mpeg4 and mp3 cover art (and tags) use the same format so while mp3tag is normally used for music, it works on mp4s as well. All my movie folders have exactly 2 files in them. MovieName.m4v and folder.jpg. No xml, no video_ts, no VOBs or mpeg2 stuff.

duder_me

Post by duder_me » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:13 am

I think my problem is that WMC downloads the cover art from a guide provider, and I don't think it's Rovi (I forgot the name). I tried changing the cover art for one movie by downloading a different dvdid.xml file, and it sort of worked, so maybe it downloads the cover art based on the dvdid. What I want to do is add my own cover art without downloading it from the provider.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:16 pm

Try YAMM (do a search around here), it pulls it's data from the IMDB and for the most part works well. I would set it up based if you have each movie in it's own folder. It runs in the background, and a simple app, drop a movie in and it does it's job.

There is an option to download art... If you have a lot of movies with bad art or meta-data, I would allow it to overwrite everything and start off fresh but, if you want to change art later, disable download meta data and put your own in...

Something to play with but, if your looking for a set and forget art and meta data for the built in movie libray... YAMM is a jem...it really is..
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

Space

Post by Space » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:02 pm

DavidinCT wrote:Try YAMM (do a search around here), it pulls it's data from the IMDB and for the most part works well. I would set it up based if you have each movie in it's own folder. It runs in the background, and a simple app, drop a movie in and it does it's job.

There is an option to download art... If you have a lot of movies with bad art or meta-data, I would allow it to overwrite everything and start off fresh but, if you want to change art later, disable download meta data and put your own in...

Something to play with but, if your looking for a set and forget art and meta data for the built in movie libray... YAMM is a jem...it really is..
I believe it's called YAMMM (3 M's) and it uses themoviedb.org and thetvdb.com to get it's data, not IMDB.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:42 pm

Space wrote:
DavidinCT wrote:Try YAMM (do a search around here), it pulls it's data from the IMDB and for the most part works well. I would set it up based if you have each movie in it's own folder. It runs in the background, and a simple app, drop a movie in and it does it's job.

I believe it's called YAMMM (3 M's) and it uses themoviedb.org and thetvdb.com to get it's data, not IMDB.
You right on YAMMM (Yet another Movie media manager or something of the sort). If you searched on this site for YAMM or YAMMM I bet the same results would come up anyway...

Always thought that it used IMDB and I am pretty sure I picked that up directly from a source on the programmer but, whit's been a while, but, looking at data for a few movies, I would not be shocked if the 2 sites shared the same data...

Anyway to the OP here, that didn't really need correcting here but, it is good program and does do a great job with Movie Meta data and art..
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012