Having to reinstall Windows 7 and WMC - any caveats/tips?

camelopardis

HTPC Specs: Show details

Having to reinstall Windows 7 and WMC - any caveats/tips?

Post by camelopardis » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:28 pm

I'm currently running Windows 7 Home Premium and Media Center was running fine with EPG123. However, I've just started trying to use a Xbox 360 Extender again after several months (it was working before) and have been getting an error "An error was encountered while configuring your computer for use with this extender"

I'm an IT professional so have made all the usual checks, network config etc. Swapped out router, switches, deleted the certificate, checked services, rolled back patches etc, and everything else suggested for this particular error but no joy. I dont think it could be EPG123 because no-one is reporting the problem. Very reluctantly I've decided to rebuild with a fresh copy of windows.

I'll be using Windows 7 Professional this time. Is there any particular method/ install order recommended for a fresh WMC build? Its been a long time since I last built one! I'm planning on using a W7 SP1 disk for install. I'm worried about patching becuase I know some patches screw up WMC. Is it better to only install specific WMC patches (post-SP1) or is it safe to use the cumulative update ( https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/3125574 which goes up to April 2016). Once I've patched, I'll then configure WMC and EPG123 - or should I do that before patching?

Anything else I should look out for? Over the years theres probably all sorts of little things I've installed or configured in order to get WMC working just as I wanted but I bet I dont remember them all! I should have properly documented them! :)

billroden

Post by billroden » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:13 pm

I hope people chime in on this one because I want to do the same thing. Updates in your endeavor would be appreciated.

Sent from my SM-T337V using Tapatalk

STC

Post by STC » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:29 pm

Have you removed the 'old' extender from WMC before re-adding it?
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:55 pm

I assume you haven't done a reformat yet. I would try what STC mentioned first & if that doesn't work, I would try clearing out WMC & re-setting it back up before doing a full Windows reinstall.

The reason for the clear & re-set is because for some reason it take quite a while to find any Windows updates that are available (I clicked on check for updates & it took anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour to display what updates were available)

Let me know if removing & reading the extenders doesn't work & you want to try clearing out WMC & setting it back up & I'll post the instructions I use

camelopardis wrote:I'm currently running Windows 7 Home Premium and Media Center was running fine with EPG123. However, I've just started trying to use a Xbox 360 Extender again after several months (it was working before) and have been getting an error "An error was encountered while configuring your computer for use with this extender"

I'm an IT professional so have made all the usual checks, network config etc. Swapped out router, switches, deleted the certificate, checked services, rolled back patches etc, and everything else suggested for this particular error but no joy. I dont think it could be EPG123 because no-one is reporting the problem. Very reluctantly I've decided to rebuild with a fresh copy of windows.

I'll be using Windows 7 Professional this time. Is there any particular method/ install order recommended for a fresh WMC build? Its been a long time since I last built one! I'm planning on using a W7 SP1 disk for install. I'm worried about patching becuase I know some patches screw up WMC. Is it better to only install specific WMC patches (post-SP1) or is it safe to use the cumulative update ( https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/3125574 which goes up to April 2016). Once I've patched, I'll then configure WMC and EPG123 - or should I do that before patching?

Anything else I should look out for? Over the years theres probably all sorts of little things I've installed or configured in order to get WMC working just as I wanted but I bet I dont remember them all! I should have properly documented them! :)