Cannot play live or recorded tv after power outage

mikey1273

HTPC Specs: Show details

Cannot play live or recorded tv after power outage

Post by mikey1273 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:57 am

Hey all

I don't post a lot here but having an issue I can't resolve in the last 2 evenings.

Sunday night my power went out while watching live tv on my HTPC. I couldn't get it back up cuz the tv (Samsung 40" 2008 model) connected by HDMI would only display "mode not supported" so I borrowed a small LCD monitor connected to VGA to see it needed start up recovery. got it back up and running unplugged the small monitor then tried to watch a recorded program that was copy protected (HBO). got an error about HDCP and unsupported drivers, rebooted tried again same error. then tried to reload drivers for the video card (ATI radon 5400 mobility in a Dell Zino) after the driver update I got an error about video files and codec for playing the copy protected video were not loaded and when I tried to play a non copy protected show I got a different one about files to play video not loaded and to restart media center or the computer, which didnt work. So I rolled back the video driver to a driver dated back to 2012 still no go. so I ran the digital cable advisor and it all passed, still no go with copy protected and non-copy protected shows recorded or live, same errors as before. I then tried letting windows find an updated driver on its own and tried again after a reboot, still the same errors. The one other thing I noticed is I am not getting any sound from the computer at all. I was able to play an MP4 video but no sound.

Any ideas here to help me out, I never had issues like this before that reloading drivers didn't fix.

Thanks

edit: forgot to say this was on win7 home premium x64, Dell ZinoHD AMD dual core CPU. I was previously able to watch HBO recordings and regular recordings too. the tv tuner is SiliconDust HD homeRun with cable card from Comcast. and I also did try to do a repair on the HomeRun software last night too.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:03 pm

From here its kinda hard to tell, but I think we can agree, something got fried. Since the Zino and your OS boots, it is likely WMC had a blowout.

I would try the %systemroot%\ehome\mcupdate.exe -MediaCenterRecoveryTask ...details over here... http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 58#p100858

and then do a Setup Custom, which is explained ...over here... http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 51#p106151

If resetting WMC doesn't work, reset the OS.

One other thing, and I might even do this first, test the power brick of the Zino with a multimeter. Confirm that the Voltages are within spec.

mikey1273

Post by mikey1273 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:43 pm

Crash2009 wrote:From here its kinda hard to tell, but I think we can agree, something got fried. Since the Zino and your OS boots, it is likely WMC had a blowout.

I would try the %systemroot%\ehome\mcupdate.exe -MediaCenterRecoveryTask ...details over here... http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 58#p100858

and then do a Setup Custom, which is explained ...over here... http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 51#p106151

One other thing, and I might even do this first, test the power brick of the Zino with a multimeter. Confirm that the Voltages are within spec.
Thanks I can try that when I'm back home.. Only thing that concerns me is what will happen with the HBO shows I have recorded? will they be unplayable after I do the factory new setup on WMC?

the other thing I'm not sure of is the sound thing. I'm not 100% sure im getting any sound at all. like I don't get the WMC start up sound or the windows sounds, but in device manager it seems everything was loaded fine.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:49 pm

mikey1273 wrote:
Crash2009 wrote:From here its kinda hard to tell, but I think we can agree, something got fried. Since the Zino and your OS boots, it is likely WMC had a blowout.

Thanks I can try that when I'm back home.. Only thing that concerns me is what will happen with the HBO shows I have recorded? will they be unplayable after I do the factory new setup on WMC?

the other thing I'm not sure of is the sound thing. I'm not 100% sure im getting any sound at all. like I don't get the WMC start up sound or the windows sounds, but in device manager it seems everything was loaded fine.
https://mymce.wordpress.com/2012/05/13/ ... ecordings/

According to these guys.....looks like you wont lose drm recordings either way.

Dont forget to use Setup Custom after deciding which way to go.

mikey1273

Post by mikey1273 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:11 pm

cool thanks I will try the first one as that looks simple enough.. definitely custom set up. then im going to have to re run my channel logos, media browser and take out all the unsubscribed channels from the line up (I only have limited basic and HBO)

will post back how it goes then

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:29 pm

Personally, I think the 2nd option is easier. Paste the cmd into an elevated prompt and hit enter. Done!

Why are you not using Guide Tool? Pay the 5 bucks to register. Backup your channels. Then restore after the reset.

If you have any Series Recordings set up, use Sean's WMC Backup. Then restore after the reset.

Those 2 utility's save so much time.

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 308#p92308

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 237#p83237

mikey1273

Post by mikey1273 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:06 pm

oh god you are making me feel like a total newbee here and I been using media center since way back on vista. I never really keep up with all the tools and stuff that has been developed I guess.... I really just use and enjoy as long as it does what I want.

I dont have any series recording except Game of thrones and that"s over for the season I can redo that on my own when they start again. backing up my channels would super helpful.

STC

Post by STC » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:22 pm

It would be wise to perform an OS image before any further changes are made.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:37 pm

My thinking is that the VGA knocked you out. See if you can uninstall the VGA drivers or disable it too. Perhaps the system thinks the VGA is priority over the TV now and so not compliant with the standards needed for play back? And audio may have been knocked off the HDMI channel too. Just my thinking. Good luck.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:52 pm

Sorry to hear about that. Yes Guide Tool makes it simple. Un-check all the channels you dont want or dont get. Do a backup...and restore to any of your WMC's. I usually do a few versions. Kid version, Adult version, etc. One thing that is the same on all versions, is, gone are all the unsubscribed, duplicates, foreign's, shopping, and most of the music.

And while I am yapping about Guide Tool, here are a couple more good suggestions.

mikey1273

Post by mikey1273 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:06 pm

IownFIVEechos wrote:My thinking is that the VGA knocked you out. See if you can uninstall the VGA drivers or disable it too. Perhaps the system thinks the VGA is priority over the TV now and so not compliant with the standards needed for play back? And audio may have been knocked off the HDMI channel too. Just my thinking. Good luck.

I agree that may have been part of the trouble, I didn't want to use the VGA monitor but I could not at first see what the video output was with out it to get going again.

I did check the audio was set to HDMI output

mikey1273

Post by mikey1273 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:23 pm

Crash2009 wrote:Sorry to hear about that. Yes Guide Tool makes it simple. Un-check all the channels you dont want or dont get. Do a backup...and restore to any of your WMC's. I usually do a few versions. Kid version, Adult version, etc. One thing that is the same on all versions, is, gone are all the unsubscribed, duplicates, foreign's, shopping, and most of the music.

And while I am yapping about Guide Tool, here are a couple more good suggestions.
looks like a tool I will be starting to use.

mikey1273

Post by mikey1273 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:21 am

Well I got it fixed and am watching modern family as I type this. First thing I did was check all the connection between pc tv and sound bar. Still wasnt getting any sounds at all not even running netflix in Firefox. So I uninstalled all the ati drivers and software rebooted and downloaded the newest whql certified drivers for RadeonHD 5400 mobility, rebooted and was able to watch live tv, recorded tv and drm shows too. I did download and register Guide tool to back up my lineup first in case I needed to blow out WMC and set it up again, its a nice tool that made it easy. I even took out some more channels I dont want to see.. so can I use the same license for that on my pc in my home office?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:40 am

If it reg # works, I guess it was meant to be.

mikey1273

Post by mikey1273 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:06 pm

Crash2009 wrote:If it reg # works, I guess it was meant to be.
seems like it was :)