Remote Control won't work from Windows

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
Peter167

HTPC Specs: Show details

Remote Control won't work from Windows

Post by Peter167 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:39 pm

I have the WindowsMediaCenter_10.0.10134.0v2.1 version of MCE for Win 10 Pro
The remote works okay when MCE is started, but won't start MCE if I press the Green Button (or any other button) from the Windows desktop.

Any ideas?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:43 pm

Peter167 wrote:I have the WindowsMediaCenter_10.0.10134.0v2.1 version of MCE for Win 10 Pro
The remote works okay when MCE is started, but won't start MCE if I press the Green Button (or any other button) from the Windows desktop.

Any ideas?
Seems to only effect some remotes. My cheapo RHRC-11002 works fine. Others have to press the green button twice.

FYI....Many errors have been fixed since 10.0.10134.0v2.1 (version 2.1) However the remote problem still exists in WMC_6.3.9600.16384_x64_v12 (version 12)

v12 as well as a few other versions are available by clicking the links in my Signature.... http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thread ... ost1200602

Peter167

Post by Peter167 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:14 pm

Thanks, I'll try it. I believe that Alt Ctrl Enter (or whatever shortcut the Green Button generates) is no longer mapped to the WMC exe. When I press the GB I briefly see an the wait cursor.

scrambler

Post by scrambler » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:33 am

I use a Harmony to control WMC and had the same problem (as reported in my full installation write up http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thread ... ost1232935)

The solution for me was to use Autohotkey to program a macro for the remote green button. That macro basically executes the ehshell.exe program.
With that it worked much better, but for some odd reasons, I still had cases where it would not launch the first time. So I changed the macro to execute ehshell.exe, then after 1 sec, check if WMC window is open, and if not execute the command again.

Since then I have no problem launching WMC with the remote.

But it still puzzles me as what is causing this, because the issue was not consistent. It would not work the first time I tried to launch WMC, but once I had it launched once, exiting and re-launching would usually work. Very Odd :?
PS: As Crash2009 mentioned, you need to update to v12 :)

Peter167

Post by Peter167 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:11 pm

Thanks. Can you send me script please? I assume it just needs to have the hotkey Ctrl+Alt+Enter.

scrambler

Post by scrambler » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:57 pm

It would help to have a bit more info.
Do you use a Harmony?
Do you know Autohotkey, do you have it installed on your machine.
Do you need a full script, or just the set of instruction to put in there for that specific item.

On my Harmony, I use two devices for the Media center so I can get as many keyboard shortcut commands built in.
Media Center SE
MCE Keyboard
Media Center SE has all the Alt # keyboard shortcut, so I use these for various macros.

In this case, I programed my launch macro to the Alt+7 keyboard shortcut (!7 in autohotkey)
The Autohotkey instructions to execute what I described when Alt+7 is pressed (or sent by the remote) are below the line. I have replace Alt+7 in the script by Ctrl + Alt + Enter ( ^!Enter in Autohotkey language) as you asked
Now I had another side effect with V12 when launching media center, some times the WMC window would not be the active one, with the consequence that further commands would not work until I would click the window to make it active. So I added Activating the WMC window in the launch sequence to avoid the problem.

-------------------------
;Media center launch sequence
^!Enter::
Run, C:\Windows\ehome\ehshell.exe
sleep, 1000
WinActivate, Windows Media Center
IfWinNotExist, Windows Media Center
{
Run, C:\Windows\ehome\ehshell.exe /directmedia:tv
}
Sleep, 1000
return

--------------
My script includes a lot more stuff for media center. If you need a Full script mine includes some initialization instructions. I did it a while back on an older version of Autohotkey, so some may not be necessary, but it works on the recent versions too. A full script to just map the launch sequence to Alt+7 would look like below the line.
-------------------

SetTitleMatchMode, 2
;DetectHiddenText, On
;DetectHiddenWindows, off
CoordMode, mouse, Screen
#NoEnv
SendMode Input

;Media center launch sequence
^!Enter::
Run, C:\Windows\ehome\ehshell.exe
sleep, 1000
IfWinNotExist, Windows Media Center
{
Run, C:\Windows\ehome\ehshell.exe /directmedia:tv
}
Sleep, 1000
return

---
let me know if you have any questions :)