Anniversary Update Compatibility

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
aeblank

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by aeblank » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:02 pm

scrambler wrote:The one you initially downloaded 10.0.10134.0v2.1 was version 2 and was VERY old.
The latest version of the main thread is actually v12 and is linked to from the post below
http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thread ... ost1200602
But one of the Forum member (T-S) created a parallel version to v12 that has a different installer and is called 8.6
Please help!

My windows 10 (Lenovo Stick 300) updated to version 1607, build 14393.51. I assume this is the Anniversary Update..
Anyway, it kindly removed my WMC.

I found 8.6 in this thread, which is what people were running successfully. However, there is only an x64 version. My stick has an X64 processor, but an X86 install of Win10.

I also found the link quoted above, which has an X86 version. I did get it to install, but never run. Since then, I can't even get it to install. There are always errors.

I'm not running any tuners on this install, and if I were they would be OTA tuners (SD HDHRs).

Can someone please help?! What version of the *many* WMCs should I be running?

bobstr

Post by bobstr » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:30 pm

Do we have any version working with Cable Card?

My living room machine just auto updated and wants to reboot - I'm afraid it just got the anniversary update...

scrambler

Post by scrambler » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:52 pm

bobstr wrote:Do we have any version working with Cable Card?
No
You should be able to uninstall the update if indeed it is the anniversary update. But Ultimately this is just a temporary solution...

bobstr

Post by bobstr » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:36 pm

scrambler wrote:
No
You should be able to uninstall the update if indeed it is the anniversary update. But Ultimately this is just a temporary solution...
Damn.

Hopefully, someone will get it working. Soon.

I do have an image backup done daily, and I still have the Windows 7 image backup for it, so I can, if nothing else, revert backwards as another alternative.

scrambler

Post by scrambler » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:12 pm

bobstr wrote:
scrambler wrote:
No
Damn.

I do have an image backup done daily, and I still have the Windows 7 image backup for it, so I can, if nothing else, revert backwards as another alternative.
If you follow the last 20 pages of the main thread at My Digital Life, it does not look promising so far, but you have to admire the perseverance of the ones trying.
http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thread ... es/page627

I went back to windows 7 for now...

aeblank

Post by aeblank » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:33 pm

aeblank wrote:
scrambler wrote:The one you initially downloaded 10.0.10134.0v2.1 was version 2 and was VERY old.
The latest version of the main thread is actually v12 and is linked to from the post below
But one of the Forum member (T-S) created a parallel version to v12 that has a different installer and is called 8.6
Please help!
My windows 10 (Lenovo Stick 300) updated to version 1607, build 14393.51. I assume this is the Anniversary Update..
I found 8.6 in this thread, which is what people were running successfully. However, there is only an x64 version. My stick has an X64 processor, but an X86 install of Win10.
I also found the link quoted above, which has an X86 version. I did get it to install, but never run. Since then, I can't even get it to install. There are always errors.
I'm not running any tuners on this install, and if I were they would be OTA tuners (SD HDHRs).
I reverted back a version and turned off windows updates.
I give. =)

bobstr

Post by bobstr » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:04 pm

No
You should be able to uninstall the update if indeed it is the anniversary update. But Ultimately this is just a temporary solution...[/quote]

Damn.

I do have an image backup done daily, and I still have the Windows 7 image backup for it, so I can, if nothing else, revert backwards as another alternative.[/quote]

If you follow the last 20 pages of the main thread at My Digital Life, it does not look promising so far, but you have to admire the perseverance of the ones trying.
http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thread ... es/page627

I went back to windows 7 for now...[/quote]

I'm doing this same this morning on my living room MCE system. Although I will probably upgrade it to Windows 8.1 after restoring the Win7 image (I've already got the disks & the MCE license for win 8)

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:06 pm

If you ever decide to try again, all this WMC install-uninstall crap tears up your OS.

sfc /scannow
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
sfc /scannow

will repair the damage.

Failing that "in place upgrade" or Windows Reset, will work too.

OTA Tuners are working fine in WMC v8.6, v8.7, and v8.8

BTW, it appears a couple services don't start automatically in 14393

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thread ... ost1263764

bb193

Post by bb193 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:08 pm

aeblank wrote:
aeblank wrote:
Please help!
I reverted back a version and turned off windows updates.
I give. =)
I know it feels like a sledgehammer to crack a nut, but as I had one 64 bit and one 32bit, I took the opportunity when upgrading to Windows 10 to take them both to 64bit so they are 'the same' (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... ab312caf74). Didn't cost anything and was quite straightforward - although of course you need to make sure your hardware, peripherals and drivers will allow it (and you have the mother of all backups before you start!)

aeblank

Post by aeblank » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:35 pm

bb193 wrote: I know it feels like a sledgehammer to crack a nut, but as I had one 64 bit and one 32bit, I took the opportunity when upgrading to Windows 10 to take them both to 64bit so they are 'the same' (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... ab312caf74). Didn't cost anything and was quite straightforward - although of course you need to make sure your hardware, peripherals and drivers will allow it (and you have the mother of all backups before you start!)
Yeah, I started to do that this morning. Then I decided to do some looking first.
I didn't spend a ton of time on it, but the short answer was a resounding "NO".
Reports of the 64 bit processor not really being 64 bit, huge driver concerns, etc. It's an ideastick, so certainly non-standard and "special".
All I'm doing is making a media player for the camper. Sure, I could use some other player or whatever, but for now WMC is just about as easy and we're all 100% used to it. I'll add IR and a harmony to it, and then it'll be the same.

I just copy wtv files to a portable hdd, and I'm done. I think I'll be able to copy things wirelessly, but even if that doesn't work out it's easy. I even set up comskip/dirmon2 in order to have that the same as in the house.

No more windows updates for me!

Now, if I could only get the WMC "videos" library the way I want....... Stupid thing auto-adds any removable media, and I can't add my own path to said media because the drive doesn't even show up as an option when adding locations. It just doesn't work the way I want it to!

cptsneb

Post by cptsneb » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:38 am

Made an account to post my success after dealing with the same issue (after spending about 6hrs of googling and frustration)

I installed v8.7 and after the anniversary update, WMC would fail to start. Couldn't get the UI to open whatsoever, and after checking the event log I noticed that I was getting errors relating to the errors others have posted. After about 5 or so reinstalls, cleaning registry, messing with settings I probably shouldn't, I found a script called "ResetSettings.cmd" in the ZIP file which I downloaded with v.8.7. For whatever reason I ran that as an Adminstrator, and suddenly I'm back in to WMC. Did not think it would be that easy. No idea how that fixed it, but at this point I'm happy to be back in business.

Hope others have the same success as I did!

mickbond

Post by mickbond » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:27 pm

Hi thanks for the info cptsneb I had the same problem with V12 on my 32 bit install. After Anniversary update I re installed WMC, it installed but would not run. Afte running the ResetSettings command file from the V8 64 bit install Zip everything now works. Again many thanks.

Jakosaur

Post by Jakosaur » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:52 am

Hey guys! Anyone got a link to download V8 which includes the ResetSettings.cmd file?

Jakosaur

Post by Jakosaur » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:03 pm

Found a download but still can't run Media Center.

Installed V12 64bit but won't run. Click on the icon, loading symbol appears on cursor for about 2 seconds but nothing happens.

scrambler

Post by scrambler » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:03 pm

Jakosaur wrote:Found a download but still can't run Media Center.

Installed V12 64bit but won't run. Click on the icon, loading symbol appears on cursor for about 2 seconds but nothing happens.
As mentioned a few posts up it is at my digital life from the T-S user
http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thread ... ost1244333

Last version is 8.8.1

Jakosaur

Post by Jakosaur » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:19 pm

scrambler wrote:

Last version is 8.8.1
Thanks for linking that. It was a problem with my copy of Windows. Some system files got corrupted during the update and prevented some services from running. Had to do a clean install of W10. I now have v12 installed. Is 8.8.1 newer than v12 and are there any advantages?

scrambler

Post by scrambler » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:37 pm

Jakosaur wrote:
scrambler wrote:

Last version is 8.8.1
Thanks for linking that. It was a problem with my copy of Windows. Some system files got corrupted during the update and prevented some services from running. Had to do a clean install of W10. I now have v12 installed. Is 8.8.1 newer than v12 and are there any advantages?
If you read the post where 8.8.1 can be downloaded, it explains all that in details, 8.x uses the same files as v12, but has a different installer. For some people v12 works better, for some people v8.x works better.

micneamol

Post by micneamol » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:35 pm

I somehow randomly came across the anniversary update and installed it. Afterwards WMC was not installed. I tried a lot of methods and versions posted in this thread and others with no luck. In the end I uninstalled the anniversary update and everything works fine now. If you're not up to doing a lot of trial and error to get WMC working with the Anniversary update i suggest you don't install it until a more definite fix is available.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:46 pm

micneamol wrote:I somehow randomly came across the anniversary update and installed it. Afterwards WMC was not installed. I tried a lot of methods and versions posted in this thread and others with no luck. In the end I uninstalled the anniversary update and everything works fine now. If you're not up to doing a lot of trial and error to get WMC working with the Anniversary update i suggest you don't install it until a more definite fix is available.
At present this is the "only" workaround for CableCard Tuners in 14393, and premium channels don't work.

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thread ... ost1265435

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 43#p109643

mlcarson

Post by mlcarson » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:13 pm

If premium channels don't work (ie those with DRM), it's not much of a solution since that's the one big thing that distinguishes WMC from every other application that supports cable cards.