Ceton InfiniTV 6 Discussion

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
barnabas1969

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed May 29, 2013 2:46 pm

JohnW248 wrote:
miles267 wrote:Amazing Ceton Tech Support experience today worth sharing. Just got my InfiniTV 6 ETH. Wasn't working with the same TA that previously worked with my InfiniTV 4 PCIe. WebUI showed TA was paired but waiting for a channel map. This repeated for days. After only 2 business days, Ceton provided me a beta firmware that allowed for what they considered a larger than average channel map. Flashed to beta firmware via webUI. Within 5 mins the error was resolved and all previously inaccessible SDV channels could be tuned and watched.
Could you add your cable system and type of headend? (Moto or Cisco)
never mind, I found your earlier post (#421) and you're on a MOTO headend so it was an issue with the Moto TA, your cable system SDV channel map and the new Ceton device.

A good heads up for others having TA issues on Moto headends.
If his InfiniTV4 worked with his "larger than average channel map", then wouldn't you think that the ITV6 would allow for a channel map the same size as the ITV4 did?

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Wed May 29, 2013 3:26 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:
JohnW248 wrote:
miles267 wrote:Amazing Ceton Tech Support experience today worth sharing. Just got my InfiniTV 6 ETH. Wasn't working with the same TA that previously worked with my InfiniTV 4 PCIe. WebUI showed TA was paired but waiting for a channel map. This repeated for days. After only 2 business days, Ceton provided me a beta firmware that allowed for what they considered a larger than average channel map. Flashed to beta firmware via webUI. Within 5 mins the error was resolved and all previously inaccessible SDV channels could be tuned and watched.
Could you add your cable system and type of headend? (Moto or Cisco)
never mind, I found your earlier post (#421) and you're on a MOTO headend so it was an issue with the Moto TA, your cable system SDV channel map and the new Ceton device.

A good heads up for others having TA issues on Moto headends.
If his InfiniTV4 worked with his "larger than average channel map", then wouldn't you think that the ITV6 would allow for a channel map the same size as the ITV4 did?
True, unless it was actually something with the Moto TA service in the new Ethernet tuner. Remember those services were on the host computer for all the previous Ceton devices and this is the first time they've parked them on the device like SD does for the Prime....just a maybe the service needed a tweak for a larger map. Remember it's a new file.

FlyEspresso

Post by FlyEspresso » Wed May 29, 2013 5:22 pm

grinchy wrote:
FlyEspresso wrote:Hey–

I'm building a Media Center as an alternative to the Tivo Premier XL4 I just recently got (it's going back) as frankly didn't like the 12 month contract at $15 a month... In my case I got it at a local store so never heard about that till after I activated it (it's a long story).

Regardless I'm debating between the Infinitv 4 and 6– seems I might be better off with the 4? I have amazing signal (new 2010 highrise in downtown seattle) so maybe the 6 eth will work?

Any suggestions?

Would love to order one today so it arrives at the same time as all my goodies tomorrow! I'm not really worried if the first time I tune channels it takes a few seconds, the system will be an always on (no sleep) appliance in a shuttle DS61 case with an i3 3225 (HD4000).

Thanks in advance,
Phil
Is a a network based tuner a huge priority for your needs? Are you planning on using WMC extenders like the Echo/Xbox/etc?

If you don't need a networked based tuner, you may want to wait a few more days and look at the iTV6 PCIe (vs. the iTV6 ETH) - I think they said it was supposed to drop next month (June?). I have a iTV4 PCie and will most likely upgrade to the 6 tuner PCIe... personally, I like the idea of having everything in the PC and no real interest in sharing networked tuners since everything is copy-once for me.
Well there is no PCIE in my setup unless it's mini ;) (http://global.shuttle.com/main/products ... uctId=1669)

I'm interested in possibility that later on the ETH might have an iOS app, I don't have a need for an extender but could see myself finding use for laptop/other computer (though I'm a mac house predominately).

Otherwise it's also moot in a way as the media center will be on 24/7 so that's where I wonder if it's worth the additional two tuners. It's just me in the 1 bedroom apartment. Maybe 6 is pointless. If so then the $159 is a lot more appealing.

gsr

Post by gsr » Wed May 29, 2013 5:29 pm

FlyEspresso wrote: Well there is no PCIE in my setup unless it's mini ;) (http://global.shuttle.com/main/products ... uctId=1669)

I'm interested in possibility that later on the ETH might have an iOS app, I don't have a need for an extender but could see myself finding use for laptop/other computer (though I'm a mac house predominately).

Otherwise it's also moot in a way as the media center will be on 24/7 so that's where I wonder if it's worth the additional two tuners. It's just me in the 1 bedroom apartment. Maybe 6 is pointless. If so then the $159 is a lot more appealing.
If you don't feel you need 6 tuners now or in the future and if the tuner pooling functionality isn't important to you then it probably makes sense to save money and go with the 4 tuner version (either PCIe or USB - given your case, probably USB).

FlyEspresso

Post by FlyEspresso » Wed May 29, 2013 5:34 pm

gsr wrote:
FlyEspresso wrote: Well there is no PCIE in my setup unless it's mini ;) (http://global.shuttle.com/main/products ... uctId=1669)

If you don't feel you need 6 tuners now or in the future and if the tuner pooling functionality isn't important to you then it probably makes sense to save money and go with the 4 tuner version (either PCIe or USB - given your case, probably USB).
That is what I'm trying to think about, I doubt I ever will, I had DirecTV's Whole-Home DVR/Genie and never encountered issue with only have 4 tuners. I think ONCE in memory did I have to solve a conflict. Once. So unless there is a benefit to the ETH that seperate to a always-on system (can't see any other than ability for the system to be off, but any bonus would still trickle to USB/Internal I think in terms of app access if it's a 24/7 system, no?)

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Wed May 29, 2013 6:13 pm

JohnW248 wrote:
Jan 1 11:36:49 ocur[21]: upnp: [192.168.1.205] Get(cas[0]): VirtualChannelNumber "0"
Jan 1 11:36:49 ocur[21]: upnp: [192.168.1.205] Get(cas[0]): FirmwareUpdateStatus "Done. Please reboot your computer."
Jan 1 11:36:49 ocur[21]: upnp: [192.168.1.205] Get(cas[0]): LastResolveStatus "Unknown"
Jan 1 11:37:21 ocur[21]: upnp: [192.168.1.205] Get(octa[6]): tr_status "Disabled"
Jan 1 11:37:21 ocur[21]: upnp: [192.168.1.205] Get(octa[7]): tr_status "Disabled"
Jan 1 11:37:21 ocur[21]: upnp: [192.168.1.205] Get(octa[8]): tr_status "Disabled"
It will be interesting to see what Eric might have to say. It looks like it didn't get the FW update finish and also if you have a Tuning Resolver there is an issue with it being disabled as well.

You might try typing "reboot" in the command box at the bottom of the log tab and see if it starts with the TR and without the FW update, that's a different start than a power plug pull and reconnect.
The FirmwareUpdateStatus is persistent and is simply the last update status - if you have ever had a successful firmware update, this is what your status will be. This is normal.

The tr_status "Disabled" will be printed if no TA is attached. If you are not using a TA, this is expected.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

cybrsage

Post by cybrsage » Wed May 29, 2013 6:52 pm

erkotz wrote:
JohnW248 wrote:
Jan 1 11:36:49 ocur[21]: upnp: [192.168.1.205] Get(cas[0]): VirtualChannelNumber "0"
Jan 1 11:36:49 ocur[21]: upnp: [192.168.1.205] Get(cas[0]): FirmwareUpdateStatus "Done. Please reboot your computer."
Jan 1 11:36:49 ocur[21]: upnp: [192.168.1.205] Get(cas[0]): LastResolveStatus "Unknown"
Jan 1 11:37:21 ocur[21]: upnp: [192.168.1.205] Get(octa[6]): tr_status "Disabled"
Jan 1 11:37:21 ocur[21]: upnp: [192.168.1.205] Get(octa[7]): tr_status "Disabled"
Jan 1 11:37:21 ocur[21]: upnp: [192.168.1.205] Get(octa[8]): tr_status "Disabled"
It will be interesting to see what Eric might have to say. It looks like it didn't get the FW update finish and also if you have a Tuning Resolver there is an issue with it being disabled as well.

You might try typing "reboot" in the command box at the bottom of the log tab and see if it starts with the TR and without the FW update, that's a different start than a power plug pull and reconnect.
The FirmwareUpdateStatus is persistent and is simply the last update status - if you have ever had a successful firmware update, this is what your status will be. This is normal.

The tr_status "Disabled" will be printed if no TA is attached. If you are not using a TA, this is expected.

That is good to know - I would have rebooted had I noticed that. :)

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Wed May 29, 2013 10:39 pm

Sharing network tuners isn't related to copy-once. You can share network tuners to various PCs, and it's just like the tuners are part of those PCs.

The only time copy-once comes into play is if you (a) share out your recorded TV shows, and (b) try to play a copy-once show on a different PC than the one that recorded it.

You can play copy-once shows over an extender, no problem.

haydongreenbutton

Post by haydongreenbutton » Wed May 29, 2013 10:46 pm

adam1991 wrote:Sharing network tuners isn't related to copy-once. You can share network tuners to various PCs, and it's just like the tuners are part of those PCs.

The only time copy-once comes into play is if you (a) share out your recorded TV shows, and (b) try to play a copy-once show on a different PC than the one that recorded it.

Or, of course, have to reactivate Windows due to a hardware change, upgrade or re-installation. Then those programs are lost.

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Wed May 29, 2013 11:46 pm

haydongreenbutton wrote:
adam1991 wrote:Sharing network tuners isn't related to copy-once. You can share network tuners to various PCs, and it's just like the tuners are part of those PCs.

Or, of course, have to reactivate Windows due to a hardware change, upgrade or re-installation. Then those programs are lost.
I've upgraded from Win7 Home Prem to Win7 Pro without issue. If you change from a 32 bit version to 64 bit you'd lose DRM. A repair or restore will not kill DRM (might lose a day or so based on your restore to date) but a format and re-install will kill it. Have changed a lot of hardware without issue (memory, additional Hard Drives) but a change in the processor will kill it as will anything as you said that requires Windows to be reactivated.

A disk image will protect you as long as you can restore it to a new HD for a system disk failure.

This only applies to material that is marked as copy once (CCI 0x02), open or copy freely will work on other machines and will play with all those changes in place.

cybrsage

Post by cybrsage » Fri May 31, 2013 2:31 am

There is a new beta firmware update, it made my initial tuning faster.

JazJon

Post by JazJon » Fri May 31, 2013 2:38 am

cybrsage wrote:There is a new beta firmware update, it made my initial tuning faster.
excellent, good to know. I just checked & looks like it says it says it fixes Tuning Adapters. I rarely watch live tv so don't care about slow tuning and actually don't have the issue it seems. My HTPC recordings are rock solid the last week. (99% pixelation free) I usually dive right into beta everything but I'm going to hold out this time for peace of mind. The if it ain't broke don't fix rule has to apply to my situation at some point. Actually I did have the Ten O'Clock news stop recording for no reason after 10 minutes with no explanation but that's it.

shortcut3d

Post by shortcut3d » Fri May 31, 2013 5:07 am

Yesterday a channel was randomly marked as Copy Never starting a recording, but another tuner picked it up. Very strange behavior.

cybrsage

Post by cybrsage » Fri May 31, 2013 2:48 pm

The beta update made my tuning times faster - the initial tuning now takes around 4-5 seconds instead of 10 seconds. I already had between 1-2 second tuner for each channel after that, so I do not know if it made those peppier. The folks on avsforum who tried it said it made their tuning faster as well.

shortcut3d

Post by shortcut3d » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:28 am

cybrsage wrote:The beta update made my tuning times faster - the initial tuning now takes around 4-5 seconds instead of 10 seconds. I already had between 1-2 second tuner for each channel after that, so I do not know if it made those peppier. The folks on avsforum who tried it said it made their tuning faster as well.
+1

Tuning is much faster on the new beta. I haven't had the chance to see if the pixelation issue was sorted out.

cybrsage

Post by cybrsage » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:37 pm

I already posted over at avsforum, but I figured I would cross post it here as well:

I received most of my attenuators yesterday and am doing testing today. The sent me a -3dB instead of a -10dB by mistake - I have an email into them to resolve it. For now, I am hooking up a -3 and a -8 to make -11 for testing...should be close enough to 10. All tests (save one)were done with a -3.5dB splitter upstream. Each subsequent tuning was performed by stopping the current stream, changing to a new channel via the guide, then selecting the new channel via the guide. Tuning that was done via the up/down channel button the remote control was about an entire second faster. All times were from when I pushed the button on the remote until the tv channel was playing smoothly. All times were accurately counted using the One-one thousand, Two-one thousand method.

I rebooted between tests. The power levels at the front of each line are the high and low numbers across all 6 tuners.

-12.2 to -13.3.5dB: 6 seconds initial tune, 2.5 seconds each tune thereafter
-8.1dB and -9.2dB: 5.5 seconds initial tune, barely over 2 seconds each tune thereafter
-7dB and -6dB: 6 seconds initial tune, about 2 seconds each tune thereafter
-3.2dB and -4.6dB: 5 seconds for initial tune, 3.5 seconds each tune thereafter
-3.3dB and -1.6dB: 5 seconds for the initial tune, 4 seconds each tune thereafter
1.7dB and 0.5dB: 5 seconds for the initial tune, 4.5 seconds each tune thereafter
4.3dB and 3.3dB: 6 seconds for the initial tune, 5 seconds for each tune thereafter

and for giggles
-45.8 and -42.8: Took it 18 seconds to decide there was no signal

These results are not scientific by any means, but they show that a good range for input power would be somewhere between -9.2dB and -6dB, at least on my specific unit.

shortcut3d

Post by shortcut3d » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:08 am

Still getting pixelation. :thumbdown:

Otter351

Post by Otter351 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:35 am

Just got my ETH and have the Comcast guy coming out in a few days to do a CableCard install. Any advice for making it a smooth process? Would it be simpler to activate it through the Ceton diagnostics program rather than jump through all the WMC hoops while the guy is sitting here?

werds

Post by werds » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:20 pm

Otter351 wrote:Just got my ETH and have the Comcast guy coming out in a few days to do a CableCard install. Any advice for making it a smooth process? Would it be simpler to activate it through the Ceton diagnostics program rather than jump through all the WMC hoops while the guy is sitting here?
It's actually easier to get the card yourself at your local and then do self install. Brace yourself though that it might be a long appointment as the first time I had a tech come to do an install he was there 3 hours mostly staring at the wall as the card updated itself...

If you do self install you can run through the WMC setup and once it is complete, open up the Ceton Diagnostics to the cable card tab, call the comcast number provided in the Ceton box, and usually within 5 minutes of having someone on the phone you are done and either able to watch everything or most things while waiting for the channel mapping on the cable card to update (nothing you have to do at this point but sit wait and verify later that all is well).

makryger

Post by makryger » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:45 pm

Agreed... just get the card yourself and run through setup. The Comcast installer will probably be clueless.
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC