Ceton InfiniTV 6 Discussion

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
STC

HTPC Specs: Show details

Ceton InfiniTV 6 Discussion

Post by STC » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:06 pm

Edit: 5/13/2013
The InifiTV 6 has now been announced! A stand-alone ethernet connected version is available now, with a PCIe version coming soon.

Click here for more information:
http://cetoncorp.com/products/infinitv/

-----------------------
makryger wrote:Hey folks- I'm going to put on my administrator hat for a moment... As some of you may know, TGB.tv is entirely paid for by the moderators, and advertisement-free. We'd definitely like to keep it this way, so we thought that now would be the perfect time to show your support for TGB.tv. By clicking the link to the Amazon InfiniTV 6 below, you'll be directed through an affiliate link, where 4% of the sale will go to TGB.tv efforts. That means, for every InfiniTV 6 you buy, $12 will go towards keeping TGB.tv alive and chugging. It will cost you nothing extra, and will cost Ceton nothing extra. It's a win/win/win! (Newegg affiliate link pending)

Buy the InfiniTV 6 ETH and support TGB.tv
------------------------

[This thread was split from an InfiniTV4 price thread]

Nice!

Phuleeese Ceton, bring out the TV6 !!

erkotz have a meeting with Jeremy or something :D :D
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:51 pm

stonethecrows wrote:Nice!

Haha well I do need to corner Jeremy today for unrelated reasons, but trust me, we are being busy little beavers :D
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:58 am

erkotz wrote:
stonethecrows wrote:Nice!

Haha well I do need to corner Jeremy today for unrelated reasons, but trust me, we are being busy little beavers :D
OR how about a InfiniTV 8? Would love to upgrade and have some extra tuners in a single slot solution! Can't wait to see what you guys are up to! :D
newfiend~

STC

Post by STC » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:02 am

The 6'er only requires one cable card (6 concurrent streams) and erkotz is testing them RIGHT NOW :D :D

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:51 am

I would say an InfiniTV 8 is unlikely, simply because, today, Motorola and SA M-Cards are limited to 6 streams at once (and if we're going to take 2 CableCARDs, we might as well do 12). I think Conax/Evolution Broadband cards can only do 5 actually, but they are pretty rare. If a CableCARD manufacturer wished to talk to us about supporting more than 6 streams, we would certainly be willing to discuss it with them.

Here's an InfiniTV 6 in my HTPC at home. Don't pay any attention to the fan in it - it runs about the same temp as the InfiniTV 4. The case I have it in is just *REALLY* bad (I'm pretty sure I could engineer better airflow with a cardboard box), and I haven't bothered to get a new one as I'm likely replacing my whole HTPC in the next month or two.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:49 am

technically, more than 4 streams is not doable in a consumer Windows environment.

Yeah, yeah, Tuner Salad. I know. But how does Ceton plan on driving through that mess when selling to the consumer end user?

I thought that's why originally the 6 tuner unit would *not* be an end user piece.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:22 pm

Per erkotz' post here, the InfiniTV driver sets the limit to 30 tuners.

STC

Post by STC » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:17 pm

Six tuners would hit the sweet spot for my household. I quite fancy the nice neat 'one package' TV6 with one cablecard (no TA's here - yet) and the option to bridge a tuner or two to my office.
I sarted with four tuners thinking I'd NEVER need more, then as time went on, my wife has found she could keep adding recordings (of mostly absolute crap lol) to the schedule without conflicts, so I am now maxed out and I would like some tuner availability once again.

-Does she watch all the crap she records? Nope.
-Can you reason with her not to record if she wont watch? Nope.
-Will the InfiniTV6 allow me to port two tuners to my office PC therefore give me a mini HTPC enivronment away from 'Housewives of...' - Yes!

Oh man I hope she never reads this... :D

STC

Post by STC » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:22 pm

I seemed to have started a thread hijack, sorry about that, so I edited the subject a bit.

STC

Post by STC » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:36 pm

erkotz,- that doesn't look like a development model at all to me. Can you clarify?
I recall you mentioned the design relied on a TV4 (new revision) with a daughterboard two-tuner add on(?)

This thing looks to be in 'production'.

Also my spidey senses tell me the case you have the TV6 in is the Ahanix D4. I also had air flow issues but I use a slot blower on a rheostat and I replaced the rear 60mm fans with the quietest highest CFM ones I could find, then also run them on a rheostat. The endresult is a near silent but nice and cool HTPC.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:38 pm

Just curious, what makes something "look" like a development board vs a production one? None of our boards have been wire-wrapped :-)

I'm not sure how you recognized it, but yes, that's an Ahanix D.Vine 4. I bought that case in college, and pretty much have hated it since. I paid some obscene amount of money (~$250 for it) and there is nothing at all good about that case. In fact, it has a ton of downright stupid design decisions. That is my first, and will be my last, Ahanix case.

STC

Post by STC » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:59 pm

It looks like a production board as the 4 tuner 6 tuner you tested way back was definately a dev board.
I realise now though maybe, as you have the TV4's in production, you can probably 'use' them to develop on. That would make sense.

I love my D4. It has the right look with all the rest of my equipment. Yep it was expensive when I bought mine :P

I agree the internals are a bit whacky but it's quite easy to fit 3x spinner hard disks into it and keep everything cool.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:36 pm

I've actually had 3 6-tuner boards. A black one (really early dev unit, this was almost 2 years ago), and orange one (lovingly called a "pumpkin" board by us due to its color), and this one. The black one is the only one that really was a dev board - all our current prototype boards pretty much look like production boards.

I agree the D.Vine 4 looks good. That's about the only nice thing I'm willing to say about it.

STC

Post by STC » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:10 pm

You showed a pic of one of the early ones at WEC. It was possibly the black one. You mentioned you had to have a huge fan blowing down on the thing as it made quite a bit of heat :D

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:23 pm

stonethecrows wrote:You showed a pic of one of the early ones at WEC. It was possibly the black one. You mentioned you had to have a huge fan blowing down on the thing as it made quite a bit of heat :D
Yeah that would be the black one. Without that fan it would literally get hot enough to desolder parts. That was never meant to be a retail design - it was just for testing.

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:10 pm

erkotz wrote:
stonethecrows wrote:You showed a pic of one of the early ones at WEC. It was possibly the black one. You mentioned you had to have a huge fan blowing down on the thing as it made quite a bit of heat :D
Yeah that would be the black one. Without that fan it would literally get hot enough to desolder parts. That was never meant to be a retail design - it was just for testing.

Well, if you need a beta tester, I am willing to "sacrifice" my time and the HTPC for a real field/beta test with Verizon FiOS. Wife's "Real Housewifes of..." really eat up a lot of tuners, especially with the 10 minute overlaps that I have our system set up. It would really test the capability of the InfiniTV6

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:06 pm

blueiedgod wrote:Well, if you need a beta tester, I am willing to "sacrifice" my time and the HTPC for a real field/beta test with Verizon FiOS. Wife's "Real Housewifes of..." really eat up a lot of tuners, especially with the 10 minute overlaps that I have our system set up. It would really test the capability of the InfiniTV6
Haha nice try. :lol:
There's actually one other person on this board that has one besides me, but I suspect we have an NDA on him as I haven't seen him mention it

STC

Post by STC » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:26 pm

Damn....It's not me!

crash23

Post by crash23 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:06 pm

I vote for a 6 tuner USB to be out next. Have a 4 tuner internal and had to hack in an extra fan because my case cooling . . . well, doesn't blow. Have almost pulled the trigger on a USB 4 tuner a couple times, but 6 tuner USB would do the trick.

STC

Post by STC » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:34 pm

"Dear Santa...."

;)