Intel NUC 5i5 audio problems

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
chrisgnv

HTPC Specs: Show details

Intel NUC 5i5 audio problems

Post by chrisgnv » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:51 am

I have a relatively new NUC 5i5RYH purchased to run Win 7 WMC. It has a mini-HDMI and Intel HD Graphics 6000 GPU. I regret having purchased it.

At some point a driver update seems to have disabled digital audio output. I only get 2 channel stereo. Also, protected content on Cox won't display. I assume it's an H.264 problem with little evidence that Intel is going to fix their drivers.

If I go through the effort of reinstalling everything, am I likely to be able to restore the 5.1 audio? I'm hesitant to do that.

My cord-cutting has been a frustrating experience. I feel like bagging the whole thing, converting the NUC to use as a capable desktop computer, and buying a TiVO Bolt 1TB. Having just replaced my dying old Sony Bravia with a new Samsung 4K series 8 also pushes me in that direction. I just really hate to pay a subscription for the program guide.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:19 am

? You mention cord cutting, but you mention "protected content on Cox". Did you cut the pay TV cord, or didn't you?

If you've cut the pay TV cord, you can move to a Tivo Roamio with lifetime guide.

STC

Post by STC » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:19 pm

I think Adam means Roamio OTA.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

chrisgnv

Post by chrisgnv » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:23 pm

I cut the cord and was on OTA at my house but moved into an apartment. In establishing new internet service with our local cable provider they give me an offer I couldn't refuse. Same internet service + basic broadcast + HBO + Starz + Encore for less than I was paying for internet, alone. Yes, it's a teaser rate but it goes up only $15/month in the second year. That's near zero difference to ISP cost and, in an apartment, my OTA antenna options were limited. After the 2nd year the cost jumps into the exhorbitant range at which point I'll be in a new single family home and OTA with an attic antenna will be a reasonable option.

While my reference to cutting the cord was incorrect, my problem is the same. WMC audio doesn't work well on my Intel NUC. Can you provide guidance as to how I can make it work with 5.1 output through the HDMI port, without having to mess with it constantly? I would very much prefer not starting over with a full rebuild.

Barring a way fix this, while I don't relish TiVO's merger with Rovi, a Bolt seems to be my least painful alternative. I can use it with my current cable subscription and cablecard for the 2 years that it's economically sensible, then switch to OTA after the cable cost skyrockets. I wouldn't pay the lifetime because I suspect the market will change within 3 years. Breakeven for the lifetime subscription is longer than that if you allow a little for risk of obsolescence.

Thanks

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:41 pm

STC wrote:I think Adam means Roamio OTA.
yes, the current Tivo Roamio--which, if you look, is OTA only. Buy it new and it comes with lifetime guide--no option for subscription at all.

chrisgnv

Post by chrisgnv » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:23 am

With respect to the lack of 5.1 sound through the Intel HD Graphics 6000 HDMI port, do I have any options short of starting over by rebuilding the PC completely? Will that offer any improvement, considering the negative information I've read about Intel HD Graphics and PlayReady?