Android TV is a good alternative to WMC

Chat with other TGB members about whatever is on your mind.
ike301

HTPC Specs: Show details

Android TV is a good alternative to WMC

Post by ike301 » Tue May 24, 2016 12:41 am

Android TV is an excellent replacement for WMC. In fact, Roku, Amazon Fire TV and Apple TV are not even close. Google has an app called Live Channels, which has a beautiful EPG. The guide data is always accurate. However, you cannot record from this guide, so why would I recommend this? Kodi. I wanted to like Kodi for a few years, but the one thing it doesn't do well at all, is manage metadata for one’s library. Emby server knocked this problem out of the park. There is an Emby add-on for Kodi, that basically brings your Emby libraries to Kodi, with full feature functionality.

On my Emby Server, I'm also running ServerWMC, that gives me the ability to record and playback my WTV recording, even the older ones recorded on my retired HTPC, within Kodi. There is also a EPG in Kodi to use, and you can directly select recordings from the EPG, the same as you can with the EPG in WMC. I use the Kodi record function, but use Live Channels for EPG, though it's not part of Kodi. When I want to watch my recordings, I do this within Kodi. This is just my preference, but I know a few who use the EPG in Kodi exclusively to watch and record.

Live Channels will automatically detect HDHomerun tuners, after the HDHomerun app is installed. It's really just that simple. This is the only other platform that can do all of this, along with viewing your personal libraries, Netflix, YouTube, Crackle, etc. I'm using 2 Nexus Players, with USB Ethernet hubs. I also have an Nvidia Shield (WOW!) The only place to buy a Nexus Player now is on eBay. If you can shell out $200 for the Shield, do it, but the Nexus Players work just fine, as long as you buy an OTG Ethernet adapter. Wireless alone will not work well with live TV.

To review again, here are the steps for Android TV.

1. Setup a server, if you don't have one already, and install Emby Server and ServerWMC. Google how to do this. There is a plethora of info on how to set this up. Also setup WMC.
2. On your ADT device, install the HDHomerun app for Android TV. Once installed, it will automatically find your tuners.
3. Open Live Channels and select your HDhomerun tuner. After doing this, the guide will populate. You can even add supported streaming sites to the guide, such as Haystack TV.
4. Install Kodi from the play store. No side loading required.
5. Install the Emby add-on for Kodi. Google this. This step will allow you to view your personal libraries within Kodi. It's absolutely beautiful.
6. Configure the PVR add-on for Kodi. This is where you setup the EPG in Kodi along with the ability to record. Remember, Kodi is just the front end here, with ServerWMC doing all the wok in the background. Once completed, you can start watching TV, with a fully functional EPG. Google how to do this.
7. That's it. This setup is not as difficult as it may appear.

I hope this helps anyone who is looking for a working solution to replace WMC. The one feature that is missing is the ability to pause and rewind live TV. This feature is rumored to be in the next Android TV update to Android N. Google finally learned from it's mistakes with Google TV. Read up more about Android TV. It's finally taking off.

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Tue May 24, 2016 1:00 pm

Yep, totally agree. Your post sounds like it could have been written by me....almost to the T! The only difference is I don't use the Live Channels app at all. It drives me crazy that there is no Stop so TV just keeps playing until you launch another app. Here is my similar post:
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =22&t=9648

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Tue May 24, 2016 2:17 pm

Solutions like this are great, I agree, but calling them an alternative to WMC is a misnomer. As long as they still use WMC, they aren't an alternative. It's like saying your Honda Civic is a good alternative to a car. It's still a car. A motorcycle is an alternative to a car.

Post back when you have a DRM DVR solution that doesn't use WMC in any way, then I'll be interested in your alternative.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Tue May 24, 2016 2:53 pm

This post will have to be broken up cause of the 3-URL limit - so if a mod could please merge them all, thanks.

Here are all the DVR methods/frontends I know of for DVR on Android TV

So first off, if you need Copy-Once content on Android TV- you're most likely gonna be stuck with SiliconDust's DVR. That's if they ever get DRM, and if you can deal with the plethora of downsides to it in terms of questionable/laughable UI/UX decisions they have made with their program. I don't recommenced it at all obviously. If you need Copy-Once - stick with WMC or go Tivo is my suggestion (I have Tivo myself).

However if you're OTA or all Copy-Freely, you got a lot more options.

The biggest - if you're OTA - Google themselves will be releasing a 'sample' TIF (TV Input Framework) app for the Live Channels app that supports at least 2 'currently on the market' OTA USB tuners - and allows for Live TV/time-shifting/recording all in Live Channels. See here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HukWdsRayqQ#t=1715

After that - you got these options as frontends on Android TV:

Tablo: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... dova&hl=en (Live Channels integration coming soon)

Kodi: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... kodi&hl=en (can be used with a number of backends)
Last edited by Ed  on Tue May 24, 2016 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Tue May 24, 2016 2:54 pm

SPMC: https://github.com/koying/SPMC/releases ... 16.1.2.apk (Kodi fork specific for Android TV - use with whatever backend you would use Kodi with)

emby: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... yatv&hl=en

Plex: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... roid&hl=en (via WMC2Plex/serverWMC)

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Tue May 24, 2016 2:54 pm

MythTV: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... roid&hl=en

SageTV: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... android.tv

DVBLink Live!: http://www.dvblogic.com/download/apk/DV ... ve.0.5.apk (Live TV only ATM - still in beta)

Tivo has a Fire TV Android app in beta - the they could presumably bring over to Android TV as well. Have to wait and see on that (fingers crossed).

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Tue May 24, 2016 3:11 pm

Then also, Comcast has been developing/was showcasing their Xfinity app (that will include Cloud DVR) on the Nvidia SHIELD- this would negate the need for having to worry about Copy-Once etc altogether, as it's all IP based through their Android TV app - http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/05/19 ... necessary/

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Tue May 24, 2016 3:49 pm

mdavej wrote:Solutions like this are great, I agree, but calling them an alternative to WMC is a misnomer. As long as they still use WMC, they aren't an alternative.
Huh? Of course they are. You can use any backend you want (NextPVR, Mediaportal, WMC, etc.).
mdavej wrote:Post back when you have a DRM DVR solution that doesn't use WMC in any way, then I'll be interested in your alternative.
Not everyone has to deal with DRM you know. If you do, this isn't a solution for you and I don't think anyone claimed it was.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Tue May 24, 2016 4:00 pm

Ed  wrote:This post will have to be broken up cause of the 3-URL limit - so if a mod could please merge them all, thanks.
We have to play by the same rules. The forum software won't let mods post more than three URLs in each post.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Tue May 24, 2016 5:32 pm

As I said earlier, a WMC backend is not an alternative to WMC. Neither is any other backend because no other backend can do DRM. So to summarize, there is still no alternative. The non-DRM alternatives are not news. They've been around forever. I'm already using the only real alternative, which is Tivo.

In another recent thread, the OP proudly bid farewell to WMC only to ultimately say he was using a WMC backend. Makes no sense whatsoever.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Tue May 24, 2016 6:41 pm

Plenty of people use WMC only for OTA or without needing DRM (everything is Copy-Freely); or just rely on the respective streaming apps for Copy-Once channels (i.e. only movie channels are marked Copy-Once). Just because these aren't (full) alternatives for/to you ≠ they aren't alternatives at all/for anyone. As evident by the OP, 3rob3, me and many other Android TV users - it is a full alternative to some. I simply just use Tivo for its more OOB approach and less setup/maintenance. If I still liked tinkering, I might use one of these other alternatives. Tivos only get used for scheduling/watching recordings here anyway. All live TV viewing (including HBO shows etc) gets done via Android TV here (either via Live Channels app or the respective channel app if it puts shows up as it airs - like HBO GO - or offers a live channel feed in it's app - like Showtime Anytime and FXNow). There are even some shows I don't bother recording at all (like PBS Newshour) and just watch it via the app (PBS app in the case of the Newshour - or Hulu for other shows, etc) on Android TV if I miss it live.

Again, because you don't see them as an alternative for you ≠ they aren't alternatives to anyone/at all. Just not for you.

Then there's also the example of the Xfinity app - which will take the argument of Copy-Once off the table for Comcast users once released.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Tue May 24, 2016 7:08 pm

My point was simply that an alternative to WMC that still uses WMC is not an alternative. It's simply a more convoluted way to continue using WMC. I'm not disputing the fact that non-WMC, non-DRM alternatives exist, regardless of whether they work for me or not.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Tue May 24, 2016 7:13 pm

mdavej wrote:My point was simply that an alternative to WMC that still uses WMC is not an alternative. It's simply a more convoluted way to continue using WMC. I'm not disputing the fact that non-WMC, non-DRM alternatives exist, regardless of whether they work for me or not.
I agree, a WMC backend is still just WMC and not a WMC replacement. That's not what you said directly after that though, which is what I was refuting.
mdavej wrote:As I said earlier, a WMC backend is not an alternative to WMC. Neither is any other backend because no other backend can do DRM. So to summarize, there is still no alternative. The non-DRM alternatives are not news. They've been around forever. I'm already using the only real alternative, which is Tivo.

In another recent thread, the OP proudly bid farewell to WMC only to ultimately say he was using a WMC backend. Makes no sense whatsoever.

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Tue May 24, 2016 7:48 pm

mdavej wrote:Neither is any other backend because no other backend can do DRM. So to summarize, there is still no alternative.
Doesn't work for you = doesn't exist.....got it. Like I said lots don't have to deal with DRM.
mdavej wrote:In another recent thread, the OP proudly bid farewell to WMC only to ultimately say he was using a WMC backend. Makes no sense whatsoever.
I assume you are talking about me here. I made it very clear I was using WMC as a backend, and why. I also made it very clear I could use any backend I wanted with the same result.

ike301

Post by ike301 » Wed May 25, 2016 12:57 am

mdavej wrote:As I said earlier, a WMC backend is not an alternative to WMC. Neither is any other backend because no other backend can do DRM. So to summarize, there is still no alternative. The non-DRM alternatives are not news. They've been around forever. I'm already using the only real alternative, which is Tivo.

I never posted anywhere on this site bidding farewell to WMC. Prove it. Also, this post was for those who might find it helpful. People like you are always on the prowl to moan about something, but at the same time, you don't bring anything constructive to the conversation.

ike301

Post by ike301 » Wed May 25, 2016 1:02 am

mdavej wrote:Solutions like this are great, I agree, but calling them an alternative to WMC is a misnomer. As long as they still use WMC, they aren't an alternative. It's like saying your Honda Civic is a good alternative to a car. It's still a car. A motorcycle is an alternative to a car.

Post back when you have a DRM DVR solution that doesn't use WMC in any way, then I'll be interested in your alternative.
I could care less what you are interested in. I won't post back anything for you.

ike301

Post by ike301 » Wed May 25, 2016 1:21 am

3rob3 wrote:Yep, totally agree. Your post sounds like it could have been written by me....almost to the T! The only difference is I don't use the Live Channels app at all. It drives me crazy that there is no Stop so TV just keeps playing until you launch another app. Here is my similar post:
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =22&t=9648
I just read your post and it sounds like you are enjoying your shield as much as I do. You are right about the stop function in Live Channels, but I've gotten use to it. Hopefully an update will give users an option to turn that feature off. The guide itself is going to get better with each ADT OS update. Question, did you get your shield on sale with the remote included? I actually bought two, but not at the same time. I was able to get both for $179.00, with the remote included. Also, thanks for the positive feedback and everyone else who found this useful.

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Wed May 25, 2016 1:25 am

Yep, got mine also with remote for $179.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Wed May 25, 2016 12:46 pm

To stop playback in Live Channels - return to the Home Screen (still need to do this, though you don't need to open another app) and hit Play/Pause (if using Nexus remote), Stop (if using a Harmony - Play/Pause works as well) or Start (if using the SHIELD game controller - it's the button to the right of the Nvidia button/logo). I'm sure one of the buttons on the SHIELD remote do it - I just don't have it to test which one and tell you.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Wed May 25, 2016 12:52 pm

ike301 wrote:

I never posted anywhere on this site bidding farewell to WMC. Prove it. Also, this post was for those who might find it helpful. People like you are always on the prowl to moan about something, but at the same time, you don't bring anything constructive to the conversation.
OP of the farewell thread, not you. I don't remember who that OP was.

I still contend that an alternative to a thing that still uses that thing is not an alternative.

And I content that no true alternative to WMC exists because none proposed have all the major features of WMC. Sorry if that idea is so offensive. I do like your setup though. I do something similar in one of my OTA systems.