Anyone used power line networking?

Talk about setting up your home network.
LuckyDay

HTPC Specs: Show details

Anyone used power line networking?

Post by LuckyDay » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:55 pm

I live an apartment, so running cables through walls isn't always the best option. And I hate wireless (spotty connections on N and for some reason it drops out a lot).

I am looking at either 85mbps or 200mbps power line networking adapters, and I'm wondering if anyone else has any info to share on using these. I will be using them to replace wired connections running between a router connected to a HD Homerun Prime and a 360 extender and HTPC in the living room.

Online reviews suggest people getting anywhere between 2mpbs and 85mpbs performance in the lower models. I'm guessing around at least 30 would do for the 360 extender, and I'd probably need closer to 80 for my HTPC.

The outlets are about 50 feet apart, so I would hope for a decent connection.

lithium630

Post by lithium630 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:15 pm

I ran cat6 throughout my entire house, then my wife decided she wanted my bedroom TV on a different wall. I'm using a 200mbps netgear powerline adapter with an Xbox. Video plays flawlessly. I never get the dreaded "Network Issue" but for some reason the Media Center menu is VERY laggy. Probably worse than wireless.

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:47 pm

The menu being laggy doesn't bother me too much. Originally I had a wireless adapter for 360, but returned it because it didn't perform well (It was the G version, the N is over priced). Now even on wired it's pretty un responsive, but we don't use that TV much anyway.

As long as I know it can stream HD over a 200mbps connector and do it with decent performance I'll be happy.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:37 am

I am using 3 netgear xav2001's in my apartment. I have had very good results with them so far. I don't get near 200mbps out of them but it does work well for my extender in my bedroom HDTV isn't a problem. In fact I just got a refurbished one xav2001 on newegg yesterday for $20.00, updated its firmware and set up my network again.. Everything works perfect. Much more reliable than wireless.

Sent from my WP7 using Board Express
Last edited by newfiend on Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:42 am

So you are using 3 of them in what configuration?

As I understand it you need 2 to join each connection you're bridging. For example, I have my HD Homerun in my office. Would I need two of the wall adapters in the office, one to send a connection to my HTPC in my living room, and one to send a connection to the 360 in the bedroom?

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:58 am

LuckyDay wrote:So you are using 3 of them in what configuration?

As I understand it you need 2 to join each connection you're bridging. For example, I have my HD Homerun in my office. Would I need two of the wall adapters in the office, one to send a connection to my HTPC in my living room, and one to send a connection to the 360 in the bedroom?
One Transmits. The others are recievers. You add them to the network with the software utility that comes with them. Check out the PNG. I have my HTPC in the Livingroom with a Ceton InfiniTV 4, Xbox in the bedroom and adding a Extender to the kids room for xmas.
Attachments
Capture.PNG

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:00 am

Interesting, that's less money than I thought it would cost.

So the 200mbps would seem more like a limit on bandwidth shared from one transmitting, and not necessarily the max each device would get. But that would still work for what I need.

Sounds like I'll be picking a few of these up.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:03 am

ya they were really cheap.. they are refurbished goods though..so keep that in mind and the warranty is only 30 days. Just FYI! However for the price...can't beat it. Make sure you ckeck the firmware when you get them as mine was out dated and needed an update. There is a utility to update the firmware on Netgears support site. i am getting 135Mbps from transmitter to Reciever and 67Mbps from reciever back to transmitter.. HDTV is flawless in the bedroom. It will depend on your wiring in your home also. If you get a bad connection try different outlets etc and check the utility to see how good or bad of a connection you get. i had to move them around a bit till i found the best connection. but once i did its been really good!
HTH,
newfiend~

Venom51

Post by Venom51 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:09 pm

We've tested with a few different brands in our lab. They all worked as advertised. We actually use a set of these to put a TV and one of our IPTV settop boxes in the lobby of our building. They run everyday with no issues.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:03 pm

I've heard very mixed things about powerline networking - results seem to be very polarized (people either love them or hate them). I suspect part of that depends if you are trying to cross phases, or have both units on the same phase (houses have two separate 120V power phases).
Conversely, I've heard near-universally good things about MoCA, so I would encourage you to look in that direction if it's an option. Regardless of which you get, I would push you toward the fastest variant possible - it will help minimize issues.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:40 pm

I haven't even heard of MoCA. Just looked it up for a bit of info, but I have no idea what sort of devices are available to take advantage of it.

makryger

Post by makryger » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:20 pm

I would agree with erkotz. I tried powerline networking, and it would disconnect all the time. I believe it had something to do with the fact that I used CFLs in my house, but whatever it was, the plugs had to be very close together to work reliably. Then I went to moca, which worked reliably for over a year (until the house switched to uverse, which had a STB I could leach off of for an internet connection.)
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:25 am

LuckyDay wrote:I haven't even heard of MoCA. Just looked it up for a bit of info, but I have no idea what sort of devices are available to take advantage of it.
Ummm.....any network device?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... er&x=0&y=0

Keep in mind, it's just using the existing coax as a transmission medium for ethernet networking--without imposing on the video signal that's on the coax line.

On either end, the adapter simply breaks out the ethernet part to standard cabling...

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:03 am

Sure, I understand the technology, just didn't know there were kits to do it.

A little too pricey for what I need it for though.

I have two extenders to take care of and one is more important to fix than the other (according to my wife) due to the Ethernet cable running through my hallway.

I will give the powerline adapters a shot at 200mbps and go from there.

Sent from my LG-P509 using Tapatalk

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:41 pm

A lot of factors come into play with power line. I have had very good luck thus far with it. I do not think it is quite as reliable a MoCA adapters but it really depends on your power cables in wall.. Their age and the distance your sending the signal etc. If I had the choice I would probably pick MoCA as hey are a bit more reliable but the power line adapters have actually worked out pretty well so far.

Sent from my WP7 using Board Express

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:53 am

Wireless is fine for grabbing email and browsing the web.

It sucks for streaming HD video.

No solution "beats having to route cables through your house" if it ends up not working.

Many people simply do wireless where appropriate, and wired where appropriate.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:59 am

jacksmith appears to be a spammer.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:21 pm

I'd personally recommend MoCA over powerline - powerline works great for some people, and horribly for others, with MoCA seems to work well for almost everyone.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation