JRiver Kickstarter for DRM with Ceton

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
kd6icz

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by kd6icz » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:12 pm

Ok... Well I want a 12 tuner (2 CableCARD) model that only has one monthly charge or one lifetime subscription. I don't want two separate TiVo's with more monthly charges.

I'm glad that your happy with your purchase. I have different needs than you.

kmp14

Post by kmp14 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:46 pm

I jumped on the jRiver kickstarter. Let's hope they get there and make it happen!

JimH

Post by JimH » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:53 pm

mdavej wrote:If JRiver happens to be reading this and entertaining the thought of selling their own remote and IR dongle, I'd advise against MCE (RC6) protocol as it is not royalty-free to use (at least not legally). NEC1 is royalty-free (AFAIK), and is used by many MCE style remotes like Diamond Media and several of the cheaper no-name Chinese remotes. The royalty is probably what motivated Ortek/Adesso to create their own protocol. It would probably be much cheaper over all to contract out the remote anyway so that all the development and manufacturing costs are borne by the contractor.
JRiver MC supports the standard Media Center remote that works with WMC (green button).
Unfortunately, 3rd party DVRs are a tiny, tiny market segment to begin with. Even if JRiver and/or SD came up with a killer product, they would probably never make enough money to stay afloat, much less compete with Tivo.
We're doing OK, thanks.

Thanks to everyone who is supporting the Kickstarter.

kd6icz

Post by kd6icz » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:38 pm

What sucks is I can't even try the JRiver software without the DRM Support... Thanks to TWC DRM protecting pretty much every channel.

Wilky13

Post by Wilky13 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:56 am

kd6icz wrote:What sucks is I can't even try the JRiver software without the DRM Support... Thanks to TWC DRM protecting pretty much every channel.
Tell me about it! When I was in CA I had Comcast and not a single channel was 'copy protected.' Now in HI, with TWC, every channel is 'copy protected' except for the 4 network stations. And a lot of channels are also switched video, so I have to have a tuning adapter, too.

First world problems!