ASUS EAH5450 SILENT/DS/1GD3

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
fa1321tx

HTPC Specs: Show details

ASUS EAH5450 SILENT/DS/1GD3

Post by fa1321tx » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:21 pm

I just installed a ASUS EAH5450 SILENT/DS/1GD3 into a Foxconn R10-G3 barebones system and I cannot get the display to fit my 50" Panasonic plasma the best I can get still has a 1/2" black border around it. I have use a PNY GT430 on the same TV and it fit the screen with simple adjustments to my TV display settings. I am probably missing some simple setting but I have messed with it for a few hours and still cannot figure the problem.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:07 pm

Are you getting this in Media Center only or with the Windows Desktop as well?

Try to Enable GPU scaling in CCC.

In the Catalyst Control Center (CCC for short) inspect the following settings:

Right-click your desktop, and go to the Catalyst Control Center. Set it to advanced mode if it's not already.
- At the top left, click the "Graphics" menu, and then "Desktops & Displays".
- For your desired display, left click the little black triangle in the bottom part of the screen, on the LITTLE picture, not the BIG one, and click "Configure".

This part is very CRUCIAL. There is a little picture of a TINY TINY Monitor and TINY TINY Arrow at the FAR bottom LEFT of the CCC menu. It is this LITTLE ARROW that you left click on by the button that says "Basic..." and the button that says "OK" When you click on the little little llittle black arrow (not the Big Black Arrow in the middle of the CCC window you will get the option to click "Configure" Then the following will be available to you:

There will be 6 buttons at the top of the CCC

Attributes

Avivo Color

Scaling Options

HDTV Support

LCD Overdrive

Pixel Format

Under Attributes

- check the "Enable GPU scaling" box and select "Scale image to full panel size". Hit Apply.

Under Scaling Options

- There is a slider bar to set Underscan and Overscan. I set Overscan to 0% and everything was instantly perfect.

Click Apply
See if that fixes it.
newfiend~

fa1321tx

Post by fa1321tx » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:50 am

I will try this in the morning but I used the overscan option in the catalyst to get full screen and it looks ok. It just seems easier to set up the nvidia cards IMHO the gt210 & gt430 were a snap to config and look great. I have the Siliconedust HD Homerun and I was watching a football game on the HD5450 today and it seems to stutter or glitch the video the other cards a run smooth on the hd homerun. You think the overscan is causing the problem?

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:23 am

If you have a Panasonic TV, go into the menu and change the picture size to HD Size 2. This will set the TV into 1:1 pixel matching mode. Adjust the desktop resolution to match the native resolution of your display, and in CCC, disable the overscan/underscan correction (set it to 0%). Your desktop should now match the TV perfectly. Go into WMC and set the display type to Television and match the resolution to your TV's native resolution. Now WMC should match the TV as well.

fa1321tx

Post by fa1321tx » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:06 am

My CCC menu does not look like anything like you descibe. There are 10 tabs on the left hand side these buttons

Pinned
Presets
Hydravision
Desktop Management
Common Display Task
My digital flat panels
Video
Gaming
Peformance
Information

I checked it for updates under the information tab and it says I have the current version. I did manage to get the size right by setting the TV to size 2 and setting overscanning to 0 but still have the TV color flicker problem it flashes from dark to light repeatedly any ideas?
My PNY gt430 is not doing this using the same HD homerun.
Last edited by fa1321tx on Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

J3ff

Post by J3ff » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:16 am

I also have one of these and yes, the over scan setting is in there.

BUT WAIT.

The real problem with this card is "flickering". My old as dirt 8800gt did NOT do this at all.....and I might have to go back to it, because this card flickers like hell. The way you fix it is by going into the video selection and I think it's turn off dynamic contrast. However after a reboot it forgets that setting. SUPER annoying. I'm offto search how to fix it.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:55 am

Hate to say it but I have had better luck using NVIDIA cards. GT 430 is a good htpc card if your not into gaming on your HTPC.

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

fa1321tx

Post by fa1321tx » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:32 pm

I had real good results with the PNY GT430 and I had a Asus 210 silent that was good too. I wanted a silent card because I'm using the Foxconn in my living room I tried the 210 but the heat sink is too big. The problem seems to be isolated to over the air with the HD Homerun watching local tv you think I should put my PNY card in and test it out?
One reason I wanted the fanless card is the because the Foxconn power supply fan is right next to the GPU card so the fans would fight each other for air and cause airflow problems in the case. With a fanless card the PSU fan pulls air across the heat sink of the GPU.
These are the Nvidia cards they have at my local Microcenter http://www.microcenter.com/search/searc ... =Ascending I can take the the HD5450 back and get another card any of these a better fit? (needs to be low profile.)

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:54 pm

If you have or are going to have an AVR and you want to bitstream the audio off blu-ray I would suggest a GT 430. I have the evga branded one it's been a solid card. You will probably need to special order the low profile bracket though from evga.. Not sure if pny includes that in their box or not. Most people with this card have had good results including me. You may have to do a little custom work with a fan to keep temps where you need them if the fans on the cards are fighting each other.

fa1321tx

Post by fa1321tx » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:20 am

If the GT 430 fan blows down or onto the card the power supply fan would be fighting against it. If the gt430 fan blows away from the card the power supply would assist it. I guess I really need to test the PNY in my foxconn to see if that corrects the trouble.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:50 am

fa1321tx wrote:If the GT 430 fan blows down or onto the card the power supply fan would be fighting against it. If the gt430 fan blows away from the card the power supply would assist it. I guess I really need to test the PNY in my foxconn to see if that corrects the trouble.
AFAIK the fan blows downward toward the heatsink.. this . like you said would fight the PSU fan. There are fanless versions of the GT 430, however I am unsure of how much room you have in your case.
Check this card out and see what you think.. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... fDI%2f1GD3
Not sure If you need a Half height card or if full height will work?
There is also this one but it takes up two slots.. http://www.microcenter.com/single_produ ... id=0351013
newfiend~
EDIT: ok after doing more research into your case I see what your problem is..
If you are handy with a dremel you could also cut a circular hole in the side of the case right above the Video Card heatsink.. as long as you have enough depth between the Video card and the side of the case
to add a fan. There are fans in many sizes and I think with some research you may find one that will fit. There are multiple grills out there that can make the hole you cut look nice as well. Like these :
http://www.mnpctech.com/MnpctechBilletFanGrill.html
You could add a air intake fan that would blow cool air into the case across the GT430 heatsink. The PSU fan could then cary out the warm air. It's a bit of work and a PITA.. but small form factor cases are
always more of a challenge. I think a EVGA GT430, Half height bracket and a little custom work could solve your problem.. I would start with the Video card.. see if the problems go away if so then you could
try the card in the case w/o modding it first and monitor the GPU temps .. if it gets too excessive then look into modding the case.. HTH, newfiend~
Last edited by newfiend on Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

fa1321tx

Post by fa1321tx » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:19 pm

Newfeind,

I am going to pull apart my Silverstone HTPC this weekend so I can install that cpu cooler you suggested on my other post so while I have that one apart I am going to install the PNY GT430 into the Foxconn and see if the trouble clears up. Another person said I may need to update my Intel E3400 processor that it may not be able to keep up with the data the HD Homerun is sending. I hope its just the video card my old Intel E2140 works fine so I would think the newer Intel E3400 would do the same task. Adding a vent might be a good option to consider because I do need a low profile card in the foxconn whats the best program to monitor my GPU temp and whats the max temp it should reach. We just a baby so my wife is at home all day with the HTPC running so this one needs to be super stable. Thanks for you help is there any other HTPC forums that might have more input?

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:31 pm

fa1321tx wrote:Is there any other HTPC forums that might have more input?
The "Home Theater Computers" section of AVS Forum is a valuable resource.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=26/
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:48 am

fa1321tx wrote:Newfeind,

I am going to pull apart my Silverstone HTPC this weekend so I can install that cpu cooler you suggested on my other post so while I have that one apart I am going to install the PNY GT430 into the Foxconn and see if the trouble clears up. Another person said I may need to update my Intel E3400 processor that it may not be able to keep up with the data the HD Homerun is sending. I hope its just the video card my old Intel E2140 works fine so I would think the newer Intel E3400 would do the same task. Adding a vent might be a good option to consider because I do need a low profile card in the foxconn whats the best program to monitor my GPU temp and whats the max temp it should reach. We just a baby so my wife is at home all day with the HTPC running so this one needs to be super stable. Thanks for you help is there any other HTPC forums that might have more input?
For Nvidia GPU monitoring you can use this http://www.nvidia.com/object/nvidia-sys ... river.html
installing this and running the program will start the program in the system tray and it can monitor GPU temps as well as CPU, Memory etc.
It will alert you if the temps get too high if it's enabled in the settings... My 560Ti sits at roughly 40 degrees C. at idle (which i think is high but my case isn't great for air flow). I beleve the threshold for that GPU is 90 degrees C. Personally I would never want my GPU at 90c .. I think anything much over 60-70c is pushing it IMO.. I would consider a better cooling solution if it gets to 65-70c. The cooler you keep things the longer they last. Let me know if the GT 430 works for you. Your Celeron CPU isn't going to be much on Horse Power. I have never been a huge fan of celeron processors. I would think since its a dual core it could be ok.. but A dual or quad core intel processor would be better IMO.. but that can always be an upgrade later if your MB supports it. My HTPC has a Quad Core Q6600 in it, its older but has held up great.
If the Nvidia System tools are not to your liking you can also use this to monitor your cpu/gpu instead http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html I run this along with a desktop gadget to monitor my CPU temps as well as GPU on my gaming rig. Works very well. I'll add a pic of my gadgets to show ya what I mean.
newfiend~
Attachments
gadget snip.PNG

fa1321tx

Post by fa1321tx » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:25 pm

Newfeind,

First off thanks for you help heres an update: I installed the Gt430 and have had it running for 3-4 hours all the trouble is gone no more glitchs!! The temps are min 53c peak 65c and it seems to hang between 57 & 58 Im going to watch the Texans gane and check it again after. If those temps are good I will buy another PNY GT430 and start watching TV instead of working on it lol!! I found this when I was messing the upstairs HTPC its a core temp add in for MCE http://www.cpuid.com/news/2-silverstone ... eview.html I have not installed it yet but it looks cool.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:22 pm

Sounds like your on your way to watching tv. I would keep an eye on the temps over a long viewing period to make sure things stay cool. Clean out the dust buildup inside the case on a regular basis. The fans tend to collect dust over time and cooling efficiency is diminished. I try and blow out my case every couple months, but it depends on how dusty your house gets. A desktop gadget is a good way to monitor the temps, if you notice the temps climbing over time you'll know the case has dust buildup and needs cleaning out. This is a little more critical on small form factor cases such as yours, you want the heat to be able to escape as much as possible. How did that Zalman work out for you?
newfiend~