Fix Xbox360's Red Ring o Death yourself

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
Mpgrimm2

HTPC Specs: Show details

Fix Xbox360's Red Ring o Death yourself

Post by Mpgrimm2 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:06 pm

I got a RROD Xbox 360 (zephyr) for free a while back and just got around to fixing it using (8) 5x16mm bolts, (approx 40) 5mm washers, (16) 5mm nylon washers (as insulators) from Lowes (Home Depot didn't have much if it all) and some heat sink compound. About $20 in parts and some patience ...

http://www.instructables.com/id/Fix-the ... ut-towels/

Worked like a champ.

I am really impressed with the 360 as an extender and all the extra streaming apps etc you can add that work with my harmony mce remote.

So much better than the Ceton Echo I have which works just fine but not on the same level feature wise. Echo is now disconnected and about to go back in a box.

Running solid for 2 weeks now. Had to share the link.

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:15 pm

I have bought, fixed and sold over a 100 of the RROD Phat XBOX 360's using the same method. I think it was originally posted on an XBOX site.

I also replaced the white heat sink compound with Arctic silver 2. It seems to have lowered the fan speeds, which lowered the noise, but on a hot summer day the fans would spin like crazy.

However, for personal use, I bought a Slim XBOX 360 for $60 on cowboom. The big fan right on top of the heat sink is much quieter.

My only problem with XBOX vs Linksys (never bought a Ceton) is that you absolutely have to turn it off and on, as it consumes almost 100 W of electricity. That is almost the same as the HTPC with 6-core CPU and associated peripherals. Linksys would stay on all the time, since it only consumed about 10 watts. I think Echo consumed even less.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:55 pm

Sweet!

FWIW, Echo is < 5 watts and dead silent of course. It also sends wake-on-lan packet to your host PC whereas Linksys will not. Can't beat Xbox for all the other streaming apps and broader file streaming support. I usually let my space and noise requirements dictate whether I use Xbox or Echo. It's hard to hide an Xbox in the kitchen, for example.