6 Gen Core processor ?

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
pdean

HTPC Specs: Show details

6 Gen Core processor ?

Post by pdean » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:36 pm

I have used Win 7 media center in my living room for a long time and need to replace my Core 2 Duo system which as you may guess is getting a little slow even after restoring a clean image recently. I just have to wonder because I keep a system for so long and because of the rather new Intel 6 Gen Core Skylake processor should I go with that. Do the 6 Gen or motherboards for the 6 Gen add anything really of use for this type of system or location. I should also add I currently have an old setup for a server also and have debated building one computer for both services and possibly even simply having the server connect to my TV from another room.

Bryan

Post by Bryan » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:03 pm

Unless you're doing a lot more than Media Center, no. My HTPC is using a $50 dual-core Pentium and is more than enough.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:50 pm

Plus as soon as you start replacing CPUs and the like, your lose access to your protected recordings and embark on a long, miserable PlayReady update nightmare. Leave well enough alone.

If a systems starts out fast then gets slower over time, that's usually an I/O or memory problem. Add RAM or get a faster hard drive (SSD preferably).

sbaeder

Post by sbaeder » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:24 pm

@nd the motion for SSD as system drive - it will make a lot of difference in navigating the menu's, etc. Unless you add a lot more tuners, Core 2 Duo should be fine.

mike_ekim

Post by mike_ekim » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:55 pm

Echoing the previous two posters: SSD for the OS and a hard drive for the recordings can really speed up menus, guide listings etc. RAM may help too. I'm not sure if moving to a SSD will break the DRM, maybe others can chime in.