Getting around the depth issue on the Silverstone HTPC case

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
CrazyLarry

HTPC Specs: Show details

Getting around the depth issue on the Silverstone HTPC case

Post by CrazyLarry » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:00 am

I thought I would share some success with getting the silverstone low profile HTPC case working with a bluray/DVD drive setup.

I needed something that would work with PowerDVD15 Ultra and Windows 7 MCE... so I snagged a NIB Panasonic slot loading drive.

Rosewill (Newegg) has a dual-slimline drive adapter, but I only used the stop bay. The SSD for boot is in the lower bay.

Its quiet, flush fitting, and I can still use my 80+ bronze 400Watt PSU and not have issues with case depth.

Lots of variations... one has a single optical drive and a 2.5" bay/removable below. (that is the one I originally wanted but it was never in stock)

I'm using the A6-7400K and having excellent performance and nearly zero noise with a Coolmaster GeminII M4. Only have a single 40mm side fan installed to help "boost" the airflow across the board.

If someone had shown me how easy it was to use Win7 MCE and a bluray drive (powerDVD14 or 15) a couple years back, I would have yanked out my old frankenputer much earlier.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:53 am

CrazyLarry wrote:I thought I would share some success with getting the silverstone low profile HTPC case working with a bluray/DVD drive setup.

I needed something that would work with PowerDVD15 Ultra and Windows 7 MCE... so I snagged a NIB Panasonic slot loading drive.

Rosewill (Newegg) has a dual-slimline drive adapter, but I only used the stop bay. The SSD for boot is in the lower bay.

Its quiet, flush fitting, and I can still use my 80+ bronze 400Watt PSU and not have issues with case depth.

Lots of variations... one has a single optical drive and a 2.5" bay/removable below. (that is the one I originally wanted but it was never in stock)

I'm using the A6-7400K and having excellent performance and nearly zero noise with a Coolmaster GeminII M4. Only have a single 40mm side fan installed to help "boost" the airflow across the board.

If someone had shown me how easy it was to use Win7 MCE and a bluray drive (powerDVD14 or 15) a couple years back, I would have yanked out my old frankenputer much earlier.
Can we see a picture?

Use the upload button>>>>>>>
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CrazyLarry

Post by CrazyLarry » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:50 pm

I misspoke, its a try loading BluRay drive I have in the HTPC and a slot loading in my MacBookPro.

The box dangling off the back is a USB powered ghost that makes the Epson 1080P+3D projector work like its supposed to.

One day I will get around to staining the boards/shelves.

Front mounted USB ports are for charging the 3D (wireless) glasses.
WP_20151111_17_41_52_Pro.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:48 am

When you mentioned PowerDVD and BR, I had a feeling 3D was approaching fast. Its freaking awesome isn't it.

CrazyLarry

Post by CrazyLarry » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:13 pm

Crash2009 wrote:When you mentioned PowerDVD and BR, I had a feeling 3D was approaching fast. Its freaking awesome isn't it.
Yeah, we started out with just a $9 3D disc from Best Buy when the drive arrived and I get it hooked up. I used a demo version of PowerDVD15 for 29days, and then lucky me, I got a $14 off coupon so it was only $68.

Now that I have Netflix (back!) and AmazonPrime I am more than tempted clip the cord on DirecTV. But not yet.... We did reduce our packages down quite a bit and now pay less than our phone bill.

Just wish I could get both my Hauphauge 2255 (OTA) and HD-PVR (HD/component) working simultaneously.