Alternatives to using an IR Blaster?

Ape

HTPC Specs: Show details

Alternatives to using an IR Blaster?

Post by Ape » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:38 pm

Hey guys,

I've got Directv, other than antenna it's really my only choice. They installed the system with the DVR and the remote boxes that pull from it. (If I can figure out how to copy recorded shows onto my portable hard drive so I can take them with me on the road, I wouldn't even mess with the Media Center anymore.) I'm looking for a method other than using an IR blaster to change channels. The issue I have is that the IR blaster is unreliable. Either the blaster itself migrates over time no mater what I use to tape it down with, or something in the software bugs on an unattended restart and I get botched recordings for several days while I'm out of town.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a different method of changing channels?

To add to the complication, I'm using two different cards. I've got an old Hauppauge 2250 that I use for OTA digital. I also have a Colossus in the same machine to tune in the Directv HD channels. Right now the IR blaster is configured through the Colossus, but I do have a Microsoft remote kit, it's the really old version that's programmable to run a TV too.

I heard that it's possible to pass signals to the boxes directly, but I don't know where to begin.
Is there a better capture card out there to use than the colossus?

Any help would be appreciated.

Ape

redmed

Post by redmed » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:06 pm

Not sure if this helps but I bought a Microsoft wireless keyboard & mouse (found on clearance at a local Meijers) for less than $20 and now use the wireless mouse to do everything in WMC. I added to the length of the USB cord from the wireless receiver with a USB extension cord so I could run the USB cord from the USB port on the computer along the floor molding to the coffee table next to my chair. I can now sit in my chair and use the wireless mouse on the arm of the chair to control everything in WMC. I also have a Lenovo N5902 remote that I occasionally use to surf the web but find the mouse the best method within WMC.

bigsid05

Post by bigsid05 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:27 pm

redmed wrote:Not sure if this helps but I bought a Microsoft wireless keyboard & mouse (found on clearance at a local Meijers) for less than $20 and now use the wireless mouse to do everything in WMC. I added to the length of the USB cord from the wireless receiver with a USB extension cord so I could run the USB cord from the USB port on the computer along the floor molding to the coffee table next to my chair. I can now sit in my chair and use the wireless mouse on the arm of the chair to control everything in WMC. I also have a Lenovo N5902 remote that I occasionally use to surf the web but find the mouse the best method within WMC.
I think his post is about using WMC/an IR blaster to control his DTV STB, not about using an IR remote to control WMC. There are many good options for the latter (RF, bluetooth, etc.) but I have never had any experience with the former.

Venom51

Post by Venom51 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:39 pm

I have an application that can tune a DirecTV receiver via IP that was written by a fellow MCE user and someone I believe was once a member of this board. I'll post a link to it when I get home tonight. You'll need some hook to call it. We do this through and mechanism provided by the DVBLink software but I think you can change the internal MCE call to point to it if I remember correctly.

Venom51

Post by Venom51 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:24 am

As promised. Looks like Rob Phares released V1.4 at some point. v1.3 works fine however. you can get v1.4
here ->https://sites.google.com/site/dtvipcont ... /downloads

http://diablo.homedns.org/TGB/Directv.zip

1.) Set up your DirecTV box to work with your home network. This is well-documented. Use the DirectTV set-top box MAC address to create a static IP address through your router.

2.) Use the Hauppauge HDPVRsetup utility. Check the box "use external blaster." Then call .exe -- under "app args" use "/i 192.168.x.xxx /c %c" where x and xxx are the numbers for the static address you created in step 1.

w84no1

Post by w84no1 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:13 pm

Venom51 wrote:As promised. Looks like Rob Phares released V1.4 at some point. v1.3 works fine however. you can get v1.4
here ->https://sites.google.com/site/dtvipcont ... /downloads

http://diablo.homedns.org/TGB/Directv.zip

1.) Set up your DirecTV box to work with your home network. This is well-documented. Use the DirectTV set-top box MAC address to create a static IP address through your router.

2.) Use the Hauppauge HDPVRsetup utility. Check the box "use external blaster." Then call .exe -- under "app args" use "/i 192.168.x.xxx /c %c" where x and xxx are the numbers for the static address you created in step 1.
I use this with DVBLink as well, but with HD-PVRs not the Colossus. It is 100% reliable.
NextPVR + KODI + EMBY = PVR Happiness