Advice on PVR reorganise

Blue407

HTPC Specs: Show details

Advice on PVR reorganise

Post by Blue407 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:27 am

Morning All

My primary HTPC failed over the weekend, so its time to rethink how I do this.

Current setup:-
1 x Home built Server with 20TB of storage, its now 4 years old but works ok. Running Server 2008 R2.
1 x Lounge HTPC - Windows 7 and WMC with Freesat HD tuner card. This failed but I will get it working, suspected PSU failure.
1 x Kitchen HTPC - Windows 8 and WMC with 2 x Freesat SD cards
I have been using WMC for PVR on both PC's. Each one shares its Recorded TV folder to the other. Old version of Media Browser in WMC (v1.x). All movies stored on Server and shared.

I have installed latest Emby on server and let it find the movies. I have also installed Emby in WMC on the Lounge HTPC. Having a few performance issues but will raise these on the Emby forum.

What I would like to achieve:-
With what I have already, I would like central PVR that can be watched and recordings set from both the Lounge and Kitchen PC's.
Easy frontend for Wife and Kids to use on both Lounge and Kitchen PC.
Movies to be available on Lounge and Kitchen PC's.

Questions:-
Should I use WMC as front end or are there now better alternatives?
What should I use for PVR software and will it have more reliable EPG that current WMC one? So often it does not show series record options as it thinks its a one off show. Also keep recording same episodes of shows it already has!

Any advice, thoughts, ideas, suggestions appreciated :)

w84no1

Post by w84no1 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:50 pm

You could put all the tuners in one machine running WMC and use ServerWMC to stream LiveTV to KODI clients.

I have mine setup like this. A PC running Win7 WMC with 6 tuners, ServerWMC, and Emby in the server room. A silent PC in the living room, 4 Raspberry Pi 2 in the kids room, and a Fire TV in the master bedroom all running Kodi. ServerWMC pulls the EPG and passes it to all the Kodi clients. You can watch LiveTV and recorded TV.

I have one frontend on all my devices, you can even run Kodi on your Android phone or tablet.
NextPVR + KODI + EMBY = PVR Happiness

Blue407

Post by Blue407 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:08 pm

w84no1 wrote:You could put all the tuners in one machine running WMC and use ServerWMC to stream LiveTV to KODI clients.

I have mine setup like this. A PC running Win7 WMC with 6 tuners, ServerWMC, and Emby in the server room. A silent PC in the living room, 4 Raspberry Pi 2 in the kids room, and a Fire TV in the master bedroom all running Kodi. ServerWMC pulls the EPG and passes it to all the Kodi clients. You can watch LiveTV and recorded TV.

I have one frontend on all my devices, you can even run Kodi on your Android phone or tablet.
How well does Kodi work for setting series to record, playback etc?

w84no1

Post by w84no1 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:47 pm

Blue407 wrote:
How well does Kodi work for setting series to record, playback etc?
Actually, I use the "My Media Center" app from Ceton to manage my recordings, but I think that it should work fine with KODI and you can even use EMBY to schedule and manage your recordings ;) so, there are a few different ways to manage them.
NextPVR + KODI + EMBY = PVR Happiness