WMC Can't Find my Tuners?

Ask about SiliconDusts HomeRun tuners here.
Crash2009

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:48 pm

Mike88 wrote:I know that a lot of people do not like Norton products
For me it's not about like or dislike, it's more about what works and what doesn't. MSE, good, bad, whatever, does not get in the way of WMC. I thought AVG was inobtrusive, first time it got in WMC's way I tossed it. Making the Green Button work correctly is really what it's all about here.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:21 pm

I had the same issue with the homerun prime. I replaced it with Ceton and haven't had an issue since.

Mike88

Post by Mike88 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:19 pm

foxwood wrote:Do you know anything about their testing methodology? Do you know on what basis they decided to "weight" the different aspects of AV performance?

Perhaps more important - do you know anyone using MSE who has been infected with a virus that would have been blocked by Symantec or McAfee?
I have no idea about their testing methods. I have not seen any other tests lately either. The computer magazines sometimes do tests but I don't recall any recent one.

I don't know anyone who has been infected with a virus while using MSE because I don't know anyone who uses MSE.

Again, I'm not sticking up for Norton, but I feel that tests mean something. If AVG or Norton gets in the way then of course get rid of it.

KBJ

Post by KBJ » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:03 pm

I haven't had any trouble with MSE either, but I'm mostly curious as to what it is that Norton is doing that causes the problem, it seems silly that the program can't be configured to work with MCE/Prime.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:18 pm

I know someone that was infected with malware while using MSE that was blocked by a McAfee product. However, I also know someone else that was infected with malware while using a McAfee product that was blocked by MSE. I don't care what AV product you pick, there will always be something that can make it through. Sure, some products are better than others, but all of the top AV products perform similarly: Very good, but not perfect.

Of course, I personally don't use AV products except at work (and only because I am forced to do so). Amazingly, it's been many years since I was infected with anything, aside from infections that I purposely set up.

Still_Waters_43

Post by Still_Waters_43 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:50 am

I know many people have issues with Norton, however in the past I have not had any issues (i.e. that I know of:-) Also, in my case my two other HDHomeRun tuners (on my desktop and my laptop) have been running with Norton for months and never had issues. Any virus software you pick will have folks that have issues with it. Personally I think it's the way software virus detection works that causes problems for some setups. So, rather than just switiching or turning it off I prefer to try to fix the problem.

My Revo is new and also has a newer version (?) of Norton, so perhaps that's the issue?. In anycase, I'm keeping my fingers crossed as all my WMC startup issues seem to gone away for now :-)

shadowman46

Post by shadowman46 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:46 am

Just a quick reply: spent 3-4 hours on this issue today, and in the end, just
disabling the Norton Firewall completely resolved the issue.

It appears that Norton resets the configuration settings on a reboot.

(*not a Norton basher by any means, still use it on many other systems; just
appears that it's incompatible with the SD driver. Or, maybe there's a more
nuanced way to adjust the Norton firewall settings, that I couldn't figure out)

kd6icz

Post by kd6icz » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:10 am

Me too. My three HDHR Primes got delivered from Newegg today to replace my Ceton tuners. So far I'm NOT IMPRESSED! One setup problem after another! Still no TV!

ptown02

Post by ptown02 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:03 pm

Really? I recently replaced my Ceton InfiniTV 6 PCIe tuner with the HDHR Prime tuner and have had nothing but a stellar experience. Ceton left me high and dry as far as tech support goes. Ceton kept telling my TWC signal on the 231MHz channel was "poor" quality. They couldn't elaborate further and in the world of electrical/communication engineering that means they have no idea what the issue is and no idea how to resolve it.

After switching to the HDHR Prime, the channels on the 231MHz frequency came in perfectly clear. Like everything with WMC, your mileage may vary...

aseries

Post by aseries » Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:17 pm

I am pretty sure I have seen this condition after Windows Update has been at work which tends to often happen when a system is shut down and then when it powers up. I think I solved it by opening HDHOMERUN CONFIG, let it find the tuners, close Config, Open Setup, it will eventually show an ADVANCED tab. click ADVANCED, click the REPAIR button next to the Repair/reinstall Windows Components line. This seems to be non-destructive to anything else. I have been doing this whenever things get flakey.