What's Ceton's plan?

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
mcewinter

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by mcewinter » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:25 pm

Ceton has always been very tied to Windows Media Center. Look at their history; they started out making tuner "cards", the idea of tuner sharing was very much an after thought. They designed an extender, which is stuck in the world of Windows 7, but only after they abandoned the "Q" based on Windows embedded. Looking at their track record, they didn't make the best decisions in regards to the future. They should have been inspired to make some sort of advancement when Windows 8 released. I don't see Silicondust's forthcoming product lighting a fire under their pants since nothing else already.

The fact that the echo *still* retails for $179 leads me to belive they lost quite a bit on it.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:27 pm

Beerman wrote:Still not a peep out of Ceton on any short or long term plans. I have to say, I'm very surprised. Are they waiting to see what SD does in the end? Are they hard at work and have sealed lips? Are they throwing in the towel?
I think the longer they wait to discuss future plans the harder it will be for them to catch up. But, they owe us nothing but they were the ones to tweet on May 4 that they are working on new products.
I guess as long a WMC still works with extenders, we are ok for now. I would like to hear their plans. I don't think they would just let them self die off.

Who knows tho. Maybe they are trying to buy the rights to WMC....now that would be awesome :)
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

hdtvjeff

Post by hdtvjeff » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:29 am

Would Microsoft allow WMC to be developed externally though ?

Beerman

Post by Beerman » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:46 pm

But to me it's more than Ceton just coming out for a WMC replacement. They've had no updating to their tuners or devices, come up with any new interfaces or even kept up their twitter account (Ok that's a crappy observation but one they should keep up with).
There's nothing that says anyone should jump on the W10 bandwagon but for those that want to update, and with the fact that many already have, don't you think they should be doing more to stay current?

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:43 pm

If I were Ceton, and wanted to remain in the retail business, I would bring back the Q, maybe purchase rights to the WMC code, or develop own either along side with SD or purchase an alternative (like google did Sage) get it CableLabs certified, and throw it on the market to compete with TiVO.

But, be honest about it, without the hidden subscription charges.

As an alternative, work with Microsoft to get ETH certified for XBOX ONE, like Hauppauge did.

kd6icz

Post by kd6icz » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:06 pm

Before I exercised my Newegg extended warranty on my PCIe I contacted Ceton about an updated firmware to fix what they could of the annoying issues. They pretty much responded with "what's the problem?".

Yeah.... They did. So I exchanged my PCIe 6 for three SD Primes. Now I still have my ETH 6 if something pops up from Ceton but I'm not holding my breath. I'm thinking they are focused more on trying to salvage the relationship with Gibson right now so they don't go under. But that's just my thinking.

Beerman

Post by Beerman » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:32 pm

My ETH6 has worked pretty well for me though I do have some problems after reboots sometimes where it doesn't pick up the tuner and I have to reseat it and reboot again. But I don't want to get too far off and hijak my own thread.......I hold out hope for a Prime 6 and I really don't want 3 cable cards, even as cheap as they are. But, I am thinking of selling my ETH6 and getting a second Prime.

kd6icz

Post by kd6icz » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:00 pm

My ETH6 worked OK too. However the RF section is MUCH better in the SD's. Much more inline with a commercial cable box tuner. Plus I want to be ready for either platform. The SD tuners are a much more pleasant experience. But they have a couple of downsides too. No static IP is a HUGE downside for me. Also the GUI just flat out sucks!

Beerman

Post by Beerman » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:08 pm

kd6icz wrote:My ETH6 worked OK too. However the RF section is MUCH better in the SD's. Much more inline with a commercial cable box tuner. Plus I want to be ready for either platform. The SD tuners are a much more pleasant experience. But they have a couple of downsides too. No static IP is a HUGE downside for me. Also the GUI just flat out sucks!
I recently got a new ASUS router (spent way to much for my use) and set all my devices to static IP since I was having trouble with buffereing and stuttering using the Prime. The minute I did this, things improved tremendously.
Plus, the HDHomeRun works perfectly well with Nvidia Shield TV (another uber expensive purchase).
Glad Windows 10 will be free when I upgrade.

ewitte

Post by ewitte » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:41 pm

Relying on something from another manufacturer that already little to no support to work properly is a HUGE mistake.

STC

Post by STC » Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:00 pm

xboxTV cableCARD or newer tech tuner coming.

My money is firmly on that.
They've always had a handshake with MS. Located very close by, handy for those meetings....
MS need tuner devices for their xboxTV.

I'll let you do the math ;)
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123