Networking Hardware Assistance

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
skid71

HTPC Specs: Show details

Networking Hardware Assistance

Post by skid71 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:50 am

Good evening
I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to networking.
I currently have a desktop running XPMCE and a Win7 laptop.

Our home network is as follows.
Comcast cable (coax) - Netgear MoCA - Motorola Modem - DLink DIR-655 wireless router (located downstairs at the desktop location)
Upstairs location has the other Netgear MoCA box which is connected to a Moxi Mate then to a lcd tv.
My wife and I would like to watch live tv on the laptop using MCE however our bedroom is upstairs and I believe that the wireless signal strength is not good enough to get live HD with MCE. There is not a problem watching live tv on the laptop downstairs since it is close to the wireless router. (I'm assuming)

Is there a device that can either extend or re-broadcast the wireless signal coming from the DLink router downstairs?
I'm sure this is probably an easy question, but I'm over my head when it comes to the networking aspect.

Appreciate the help.
Jeff

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:25 pm

skid71 wrote: Is there a device that can either extend or re-broadcast the wireless signal coming from the DLink router downstairs?
Indeed. Search Amazon or Newegg for "wireless extender" or "wireless repeater". Read the reviews before making a purchase.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

Venom51

Post by Venom51 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:04 pm

You also have the option to drop an HPNA adapter at the modem and one in the bedroom along with another access point. Plenty of options.

WarrenH

Post by WarrenH » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:31 pm

DLink do a wireless repeater, I have 2 of them, real easy to setup and they work fine

makryger

Post by makryger » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:22 pm

If you've already invested in Netgear MoCA going through your cable lines, you may as well use it. Put a wireless router in between the upstairs moca box and your Moxi box.

Then, you can use the same wireless SSID between the two routers. You will still basically end up with a wireless repeater, except that you won't be dependent on a wireless signal to a wireless signal- it would be straight from wired to wireless.
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

skid71

Post by skid71 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:59 pm

Thank you for the information.
I suppose the question now is what would be the advantages and disadvantages of going with a product like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Amped-Wireless-Wi ... 712&sr=8-1

vs adding another dlink dir-655 router. I'm not sure how to configure the router to recognize/work with the original dlink router downstairs.

When it comes to networking I'm such a novice, quite frankly I'm a bit surprised we have a working wireless and MoCA network at all.

Again, big thanks for the information and help with this.

Jeff

Venom51

Post by Venom51 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:29 pm

In a small network sticking to s a single router keeps it simple. There is no good reason to use a second router in your situation. You'd be better off the with the repeater or Wireless Access Point. Of course with that said a wireless router can usually be had for less money than a dedicated WAP. If you decide to go with a second DIR-655 than there is no need to use it as a router. Just log into it. Turn off DHCP and set up the wireless portion. Then cable the existing 655 to the new 655 via one of the switch ports on each. No need to connect the port labeled "intenet" on the second 655.

That will allow you to use the second 655 as a switch and access point without the NAT routing.

skid71

Post by skid71 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:09 am

Venom51 wrote:In a small network sticking to s a single router keeps it simple. There is no good reason to use a second router in your situation. You'd be better off the with the repeater or Wireless Access Point. Of course with that said a wireless router can usually be had for less money than a dedicated WAP. If you decide to go with a second DIR-655 than there is no need to use it as a router. Just log into it. Turn off DHCP and set up the wireless portion. Then cable the existing 655 to the new 655 via one of the switch ports on each. No need to connect the port labeled "intenet" on the second 655.

That will allow you to use the second 655 as a switch and access point without the NAT routing.
Venom,
If I cannot connect the original 655 (downstairs) to the new 655 router (upstairs), what, in your opinion would be the best way to go? I'm basically using the Netgear MoCA solution since we do not have cat5/6 cabling throughout the house. I plan on adding another MoCA box in our bedroom. I'm just at a loss as to what would be the best solution to get a better wireless signal in that part of the house. (back three bedrooms)

I sincerely appreciate everyones patience and help with this project and my posts.

Jeff

Venom51

Post by Venom51 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:29 pm

skid71 wrote:
Venom51 wrote:In a small network sticking to s a single router keeps it simple. There is no good reason to use a second router in your situation. You'd be better off the with the repeater or Wireless Access Point. Of course with that said a wireless router can usually be had for less money than a dedicated WAP. If you decide to go with a second DIR-655 than there is no need to use it as a router. Just log into it. Turn off DHCP and set up the wireless portion. Then cable the existing 655 to the new 655 via one of the switch ports on each. No need to connect the port labeled "intenet" on the second 655.

Venom,
If I cannot connect the original 655 (downstairs) to the new 655 router (upstairs), what, in your opinion would be the best way to go? I'm basically using the Netgear MoCA solution since we do not have cat5/6 cabling throughout the house. I plan on adding another MoCA box in our bedroom. I'm just at a loss as to what would be the best solution to get a better wireless signal in that part of the house. (back three bedrooms)

I sincerely appreciate everyones patience and help with this project and my posts.

Jeff
I'm a hard cable guy but if that's not an option and you just need to extend the wireless signal than the repeater would be the first choice for it's simplicity in installation and operation. If the wireless signal is too weak to be of good service with the reapeater than I would look next at HPNA as a simple way to extend the hardwired network to the bedroom combined with another wireless access point in the bedroom.

skid71

Post by skid71 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:11 pm

Venom51 wrote:
skid71 wrote:

Venom,

Jeff
I'm a hard cable guy but if that's not an option and you just need to extend the wireless signal than the repeater would be the first choice for it's simplicity in installation and operation. If the wireless signal is too weak to be of good service with the reapeater than I would look next at HPNA as a simple way to extend the hardwired network to the bedroom combined with another wireless access point in the bedroom.
Thanks again!
I think I know what direction I'm going to try.
The upstairs tv location - put a switch in between the MoCA box and Moxi Mate to give us a hardwire internet access point.
At that location also put the repeater in place
Bedroom area put another MoCA box in along with a ethernet switch and we'll see how the wireless signal is back there once the repeater is in place in the living room.

And in the meantime I'll read up on HPNA.

Really appreciate the guidance and knowledge.

Jeff

makryger

Post by makryger » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:22 pm

I think if you put a wireless router between the moca box and moxi upstairs, and configure it as a wireless access point (as venom describes), then you should be good to go. The internet-over-cable is basically the same as connecting the original 655 to the new one, just a bit indirect. You still get internet to the new upstairs wireless. You still send dhcp routing to the box downstairs.
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

skid71

Post by skid71 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:54 pm

makryger wrote:I think if you put a wireless router between the moca box and moxi upstairs, and configure it as a wireless access point (as venom describes), then you should be good to go. The internet-over-cable is basically the same as connecting the original 655 to the new one, just a bit indirect. You still get internet to the new upstairs wireless. You still send dhcp routing to the box downstairs.
My concern would be my lack of networking knowledge and setting up the 2nd DLink to work with the original downstairs. This gives me a little pause. The amped repeater linked a few posts above seems to be pretty novice-friendly when it comes to setup, and most results look promising. If it doesn't work, I may indeed try a 2nd DIR-655 at the current MoCA location upstairs.

Thanks,
Jeff

Venom51

Post by Venom51 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:37 pm

skid71 wrote:
makryger wrote:I think if you put a wireless router between the moca box and moxi upstairs, and configure it as a wireless access point (as venom describes), then you should be good to go. The internet-over-cable is basically the same as connecting the original 655 to the new one, just a bit indirect. You still get internet to the new upstairs wireless. You still send dhcp routing to the box downstairs.
My concern would be my lack of networking knowledge and setting up the 2nd DLink to work with the original downstairs. This gives me a little pause. The amped repeater linked a few posts above seems to be pretty novice-friendly when it comes to setup, and most results look promising. If it doesn't work, I may indeed try a 2nd DIR-655 at the current MoCA location upstairs.

Thanks,
Jeff
That's a no brainer the way I described doing it. You can setup the wireless portion exactly like you have it down stairs. Then turn off the dhcp server in the second 655. That's all there is to it.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:57 pm

The only problem is the two APs will have different BSSIDs, even though they have the same SSID, so they will be treated like two separate networks and not get seamless roaming. Unfortunately, for true roaming, it seems like you need to go to something commercial.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

guppy

Post by guppy » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:29 am

FYI Most wireless routers have extended range antenaes available. They help a little. Personally I think you need to run a ethernet cable from room to room. Look at leviton Quickport series for a real clean residential installation. Alot cheaper and simplier than buying all the routers and stuff. Wired beats wireless any day in my book; 100Mbs (or faster), no problem with interference from cordless phones or blenders, secure (not easy to hack a wired router), Cat6 is cheap. My network consists of a Linksys WRT54G wireless router (strictly for wife) with a set of HGA7T High Gain Antenna and a EZXS16W (16 port switch). I have run ethernet cable to every room. I use the same wall box as the telephone or coax are in, simply replace the cover with a quickport 2 hole wallplate and buy the appropriate connectors. You dont even have to cut a hole in the wall and the installation looks cool.

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=545

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R ... key=Search

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... PRC_MODE|0