Completely reset Media Center?

ipguy

HTPC Specs: Show details

Completely reset Media Center?

Post by ipguy » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:46 am

Hi All

Is there any way to completely, and I mean completely, reset WMC ?

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:24 pm

PM me, I have something that can help that I wont post publicly.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

ipguy

Post by ipguy » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:27 pm

DavidinCT wrote:PM me, I have something that can help that I wont post publicly.
Pmed

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:52 pm

ipguy wrote:
DavidinCT wrote:PM me, I have something that can help that I wont post publicly.
Pmed
Replied :)
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

DOS4EVER

Post by DOS4EVER » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:11 pm

Why not? ;)

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:10 am

DOS4EVER wrote:
Why not? ;)
I have something DIRECT from Microsoft that can help here but, I will only allow it out case by case. I don't think they want it publicly released.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Superevilllama

Post by Superevilllama » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:45 am

Right click on Computer > Manage > Task Scheduler > Expand Task Scheduler Library > Microsoft > Windows > Expand it to locate Media Center > Highlight it > Locate MediaCenter Recovery Task > Click Action tab in the menu > Select Run.

Point of a forum is to share information. I'm not sure Microsoft is too concerned with a discontinued product anyways.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:15 pm

Superevilllama wrote:Right click on Computer > Manage > Task Scheduler > Expand Task Scheduler Library > Microsoft > Windows > Expand it to locate Media Center > Highlight it > Locate MediaCenter Recovery Task > Click Action tab in the menu > Select Run.

Point of a forum is to share information. I'm not sure Microsoft is too concerned with a discontinued product anyways.
That removes most of it but, not all of it, on Windows 7, I would go into add remove components, select, Windows Media Center and Windows Media Player (MC's libraries are in WMP), remove, reboot and re-add and reboot again.

This should 100% clear up everything.

I signed a non expiring NDA with MS, so this is why I don't publicly post it. Would they make a deal about it, I am sure not but, do I want to break a possible NDA by publicly releasing something that I shouldn't and get myself possibly banned from any betas with MS ? No way, not worth that, sorry.

Anything else I have for WMC is free game (for the most part) and I share but, there is limits
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

mike_ekim

Post by mike_ekim » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:21 pm

Superevilllama wrote:Right click on Computer > Manage > Task Scheduler > Expand Task Scheduler Library > Microsoft > Windows > Expand it to locate Media Center > Highlight it > Locate MediaCenter Recovery Task > Click Action tab in the menu > Select Run.

Thanks for this.

DavidinCT you're holding yourself to a high standard. That's good (and said without sarcasm). My 0.02 is that nothing here seems like it would be covered by a NDA. It's just selecting the point-and-click options that Microsoft provided in the interface. A NDA may apply if Microsoft had some non-publicly disclosed command line prompts, or registry edits, or downloadable file.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:17 pm

mike_ekim wrote:

Thanks for this.

DavidinCT you're holding yourself to a high standard. That's good (and said without sarcasm). My 0.02 is that nothing here seems like it would be covered by a NDA. It's just selecting the point-and-click options that Microsoft provided in the interface. A NDA may apply if Microsoft had some non-publicly disclosed command line prompts, or registry edits, or downloadable file.
Nah, not a point and click thing, a batch file that does the job very well.

Anyway about it, I like what I do and if the chance in hell that Microsoft decides to bring back Media Center in some form or another, I would JUMP on the beta list if I could and I would not even take a remote chance of breaking that NDA by publicly posting something.

Anyway too much off topic, I think the OP's issue should be taken care of by now..
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

fabella42

Post by fabella42 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:13 pm

DavidinCT wrote:
mike_ekim wrote:

Thanks for this.

Nah, not a point and click thing, a batch file that does the job very well.

Anyway about it, I like what I do and if the chance in hell that Microsoft decides to bring back Media Center in some form or another, I would JUMP on the beta list if I could and I would not even take a remote chance of breaking that NDA by publicly posting something.

Anyway too much off topic, I think the OP's issue should be taken care of by now..
Do you mind sharing that with me as well? I need to reset WMC. For some reason it is not detecting my tuners.

mceTim

Post by mceTim » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:05 am

If the tool DavidinCT mentions is the tool I'm thinking of, I would be very cautious about using it. It was a very aggressive, lightly tested tool.

I would first try the following. If that failed, I think I would opt to do a clean install of OS.

To remove/refresh WMC in Win7, I would add an interim step to what's been listed.
DavidinCT wrote:That removes most of it but, not all of it, on Windows 7, I would go into add remove components, select, Windows Media Center and Windows Media Player (MC's libraries are in WMP), remove, reboot....
Verify there is no eHome folder under C:\ProgramData\Microsoft. If there is, rename the folder. After that, then complete process:
DavidinCT wrote:... re-add (Windows Media Center and Windows Media Player and reboot again.

philipt95148

Post by philipt95148 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:27 am

Hi,
Is this a solution to the video error message "files needed to display video are not installed or not working properly?"
I have been searching for days with this problem. Setting audio 2 channels in PC and 5.1 in WMC does not solve my problem and I am at a loss to understand how I got this with a fresh install after the system worked right out the box in 2013 when I built my HTPC (see my posting in Video Error thread)?
I have one question on the process - after you set RUN on the recovery, do you stop it?
If not, how do you know when it stops or whether it has successfully reset WMC?
I would really appreciate your help here.
Thanks