Overheating is still an issue!

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
smassey22180

HTPC Specs: Show details

Overheating is still an issue!

Post by smassey22180 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:14 pm

Got my ETH6 a year ago and had to put a small fan on it to get it to work reliably. It has worked great for the past year and does what I need it to. My fan died last week and all everything went to crap. I was out of town so the family is annoyed. Lots of thing did not record. Why has this overheating issue not been addressed yet? It is not my unit as I am now on my 3rd one. Ceton kindly swapped it out as a courtesy last year to attempt to fix the cooling issue. I then purchased a new one and sold my old one on ebay as a last ditch effort. The room is 72 degrees. It is out on a counter in the open. What is the plan here guys? You can't sell a product not capable of cooling itself.

BTW, as read this forum, (IMHO) many of the issues reported are caused by overheating.

STC

Post by STC » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:31 pm

One quick trick is to place the unit in a vertical position. That alone will take off a few degrees of heat.
Mine is like this, and in a cupboard. It certainly gets warm, but I haven't had a problem with it bombing out.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:58 pm

Yeah, I never got why people were so accepting of something they had to add an additional fan to just to run normal. It's not like it was being overclocked or anything. Normal, OOB functionality required you buy/use additional cooling - because what it had wasn't sufficient. That's an engineering/design flaw. Anyways, if you've been keeping track of things; Ceton is MIA - I doubt this will ever get fixed. Sorry :(

smassey22180

Post by smassey22180 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:19 pm

STC wrote:One quick trick is to place the unit in a vertical position. That alone will take off a few degrees of heat.
Mine is like this, and in a cupboard. It certainly gets warm, but I haven't had a problem with it bombing out.
Correct sideways will take off a couple of degrees. The problem is I need 10+ taken off. Without the fan I am 68C+. On the fan I am 50C.

Billyray520

Post by Billyray520 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:37 pm

I have a 120mm fan on mine and the temps are never above 30 C.

I also have a fine mesh filter over the fan which I clean periodically.

kiku

Post by kiku » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:33 pm

STC wrote:One quick trick is to place the unit in a vertical position. That alone will take off a few degrees of heat.
Just did this, and It lowered temps by +- 5C

kiku

Post by kiku » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:15 am

Wanted to follow up and post this. Added two fans cost of $18 bux from Amazon and my temps are almost half off

Easy mod.

STC

Post by STC » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:03 am

Cut the BLUE wire! ;)
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

DJX

Post by DJX » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:25 pm

As an alternative, if you want a cleaner look, you can try my mod.
It's been going strong for quite a while now (over a year).
I got a lot of flak from the community for opening up my ETH6 but I'm not sure why people are so afraid to modify something you bought.

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =68&t=7641