Problem viewing copy once in WMC on W764

Whiznot

HTPC Specs: Show details

Problem viewing copy once in WMC on W764

Post by Whiznot » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:43 pm

Please help if you are able.

I am running Win7 64 and recording with WMC and an HD Homerun Prime tuner. Everything is working great with channels that are copy freely. When viewing recorded shows from copy once channels every thing works as normal at first but at some point during the viewing audio goes silent then video goes dark. The time counter continues ticking off seconds and minutes so WMC isn't frozen it just looses the ability to handle the copy once flag.

How should I try to solve my problem?

DSperber

Post by DSperber » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:32 am

I'd get in touch with SilconDust.

glugglug

Post by glugglug » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:44 am

Whiznot wrote:Please help if you are able.

I am running Win7 64 and recording with WMC and an HD Homerun Prime tuner. Everything is working great with channels that are copy freely. When viewing recorded shows from copy once channels every thing works as normal at first but at some point during the viewing audio goes silent then video goes dark. The time counter continues ticking off seconds and minutes so WMC isn't frozen it just looses the ability to handle the copy once flag.

How should I try to solve my problem?
Does this happen with new recordings or just already existing ones?

If the latter, does Netflix work? They both use WM-DRM. Netflix support can help you reset the WM-DRM db to clear some issues but you won't be able to play back prevoiusly existing recordings after that.

Whiznot

Post by Whiznot » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:06 am

Thanks for the replies.

I'm confident that the problem is with WMC and not the HDHR unit because there is no problem with copy freely channels.

The problem happens whenever I am using WMC to both record and watch a copy once channel at the same time. If I record a copy once channel and don't watch it at the same time I can view later without problem.

I have another problem that might be related. My PC outputs over HDMI to a Samsung LED TV. If I have WMC open and turn off my TV when I turn the TV back on the HDMI signal is lost until the cable is reconnected.

steveo_in_sd

Post by steveo_in_sd » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:58 am

Sounds like a HDCP handshake problem. If for some reason the PC thinks that the HDCP encryption ("protected path") has been compromised or lost, it will stop displaying the content to prevent illegal copying. The PC might think this for any number of reasons, but turning off components (like the TV, an A/V receiver, or even allowing the PC monitor to go into screen saver sometimes) is a sure-fire way to trip this. Other times, you might have a TV that sucks at maintaining the handshake (common with cheapo brands), a defective HDMI cable, an old PC graphics card, or a 'mystery problem' that is impossible to resolve. I personally have found that using an extender like the Xbox 360 just about eliminates all of these possible problems, but many people here have had great success with their PCs connected directly to TVs, so YMMV.