Ceton devices now supported in NextPVR

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
sub3

HTPC Specs: Show details

Ceton devices now supported in NextPVR

Post by sub3 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:06 pm

FYI, the new 3.5.7 version of NextPVR (released today) adds support for the Ceton devices. Before this release NextPVR had no native support for these devices.

This version can be downloaded from http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.ph ... th-August)

If you've never heard of it, NextPVR is an WMC like application for Windows. It's free, and works great on Win10, so might be an option for some of you that have upgraded and are now stuck for software. NextPVR has a nice easy-to-use UI. It can also be used as a backend for Kodi, allowing to get your Ceton devices working in Kodi.

Sorry no, NextPVR can't record DRM protected (copy-never/copy-once) channels. I wish it could, but we don't have the sort of funds that would be required for licensing/certifying. Still...a lot of cable companies have the majority of their channels marked copy-freely, and only protect premium channels like HBO, so hopefully it'll still be an option for you.

If any one does give it a go, and has problems, let me know on the NextPVR forums and I'm happy to help you through it
Last edited by sub3 on Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

STC

Post by STC » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:07 pm

By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

sub3

Post by sub3 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:27 pm

Here is some screenshots for you

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:35 pm

Very nice!

Don't forget that thanks to HBO Go, Showtime Anytime, etc., you don't really need to DVR those premium channels anymore. Most of it is available on demand.

STC

Post by STC » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:07 pm

It does look nice doesn't it?

thewoody1999

Post by thewoody1999 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:30 pm

I installed the new version of Nextpvr 3.5.7. I have the Ceton Infinity 4 tuner card which uses a Comcast cablecard. It works find with Media Center but since Media Center is going away some time in the future I am working on an alternative. Nextpvr found the 4 tuners of the cablecard but when I double click on any tuner and click on scan, it doesn't find any channels. I tried it with NPVR Recording service off and then on but it didn't matter. Any ideas?

sub3

Post by sub3 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:45 pm

thewoody1999 wrote:I installed the new version of Nextpvr 3.5.7. I have the Ceton Infinity 4 tuner card which uses a Comcast cablecard. It works find with Media Center but since Media Center is going away some time in the future I am working on an alternative. Nextpvr found the 4 tuners of the cablecard but when I double click on any tuner and click on scan, it doesn't find any channels. I tried it with NPVR Recording service off and then on but it didn't matter. Any ideas?
If you post the question over at the NextPVR forums, along with a zipped copy of c:\users\public\npvr\logs\npvr.log file, I'll take a look and help you through it.

How long did you wait? I can take a few minutes.

You should see the table count increasing in the top left, was this happening?

STC

Post by STC » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:51 pm

thewoody1999, using the Ceton tuner with NextPVR will only work with copy free channels. Your provider may have locked them down.

sub3

Post by sub3 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:06 pm

STC wrote:thewoody1999, using the Ceton tuner with NextPVR will only work with copy free channels. Your provider may have locked them down.
While that's true - it wont cause any issues with scanning, which seems to be where he is having his problem.

STC

Post by STC » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:43 pm

Ahh okay, sorry Comcast was stated, and I recall they do lock down their feeds(?)...so even if you do get the scanning sorted I'm not sure it's a go.

thewoody1999

Post by thewoody1999 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:26 am

Thanks for the input. Much later after my above post, I restarted the PC and went in to scan a tuner and this time it worked and when I scanned the other 3 tuners I had the option to copy the channels over from the 1st scan, which I did. I have no idea why it took a reboot but all the channels are there. I tested a couple of the local TV network channels, USA and TNT and they worked. I don't subscribe to any premium channels like HBO, so for now, I don't see any problems. I need to go into the channel list and edit out the premium and other channels I can't or don't use. I also signed up for "Schedules Direct" and got a week free trial; $25 for a year's of TV guide data is a no brainer. I'll go in and setup the EPG source and later NPVR as my frontend. Sorry about posting to the wrong forum.

sub3

Post by sub3 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:28 am

thewoody1999 wrote:Thanks for the input. Much later after my above post, I restarted the PC and went in to scan a tuner and this time it worked and when I scanned the other 3 tuners I had the option to copy the channels over from the 1st scan, which I did. I have no idea why it took a reboot but all the channels are there. I tested a couple of the local TV network channels, USA and TNT and they worked. I don't subscribe to any premium channels like HBO, so for now, I don't see any problems. I need to go into the channel list and edit out the premium and other channels I can't or don't use. I also signed up for "Schedules Direct" and got a week free trial; $25 for a year's of TV guide data is a no brainer. I'll go in and setup the EPG source and later NPVR as my frontend. Sorry about posting to the wrong forum.
Great. Glad you got it working.

thewoody1999

Post by thewoody1999 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:14 am

"I'll go in and setup the EPG source and later NPVR as my frontend. "

Oops, I meant Kodi as my frontend and leave nextpvr as the backend

sub3

Post by sub3 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:22 pm

BTW, the installer has been updated to include a much quicker Ceton channel scanner.

Jay

Post by Jay » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:55 am

I'd happily contribute to a kickstarter project if you could get one or both of the following:

1. CC support for those premium channels; and/or
2. Work with CETON to make the ECHO compatible with NextPVR.

:)

sub3

Post by sub3 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:58 pm

Jay wrote:I'd happily contribute to a kickstarter project if you could get one or both of the following:

1. CC support for those premium channels; and/or
In theory, since NextPVR is a closed-source application, there is a possibility this could be done, and I have considered it a couple of times in the past. From what I've read though, CableLabs makes the process very painful, and in reality, if you're a not a big company there is probably no way you're going to be able to push this through. ...so I think this is in the too hard basket.

leroys1000

Post by leroys1000 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:20 am

I appreciate your hard work on npvr.
I finally got it working on windows 10 and use kodi.
Got the ntsc an qam tuner working with the softpvr.
The radio locks up and doesn't work,but I don't think my chipset is supported.
Running an old ATI HD650,so it brings new life to an old card.
Sorry I can't donate to the project right now as I am very poor but will try in the future.
Thank you.

sub3

Post by sub3 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:49 am

leroys1000 wrote:I appreciate your hard work on npvr.
I finally got it working on windows 10 and use kodi.
Got the ntsc an qam tuner working with the softpvr.
The radio locks up and doesn't work,but I don't think my chipset is supported.
Running an old ATI HD650,so it brings new life to an old card.
Sorry I can't donate to the project right now as I am very poor but will try in the future.
Thank you.
No worries. Glad you got it going.

I'm not sure on radio support on an ATI 650. I haven't checked FM radio in quite a while now. I'll try to check it when things settle down for me (very busy last few weeks).

hysonmb

Post by hysonmb » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:33 pm

This is great! I've wanted to upgrade my WMC PC but refuse to do so until there's something that can take advantage of the InfiniTV 4.
Thank you! I'm going to give this a shot and might be updating the machine this weekend.

cubdukat

Post by cubdukat » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:38 pm

I was glad they thought enough of the InfiniTV 4 to add direct support. Using the NetworkRecorder and the SageDCT shim always seemed a little kludgy to me. SageTV is better, but SageDCT seems to be a memory hog. It's bogged my system down on several occasions.