Starting recordings early and ending late

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
McGary

HTPC Specs: Show details

Starting recordings early and ending late

Post by McGary » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:37 am

WMC allows you to set the number of minutes early you want a recording to start, and how many minutes after the end it should stop.

This works nicely most of the time, but if there are back-back programs on the same channel, it doesn't do that ... even if there are multiple tuners still available. e.g. I have 6 tuners, and even if only 1 is in use, it will just stop the first recording and start the second a second or two afterwards instead of adding the "padding" I've set for it to do.

Does anyone know a way to force WMC (Windows 7) to always do the "start early - end late" that's been requested, even when it's on the same channel ??

webminster

Post by webminster » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:46 am

You have to edit your first recording options, and set a stop time of "10 minutes after." Not the "if possible" options. This will force the second recording to find a new tuner. That's the only way that works.
-Alan

McGary

Post by McGary » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:45 pm

Thanks. I actually figured that out last night after playing around a bit. Unfortunately there's no global setting for that (the global setting is only "when possible") ... but it's easy enough to just set all of the series options to force the behavior I want. You'd think "when possible" would mean that if another tuner was available it should do it ... but clearly that's not how the logic works.