Media Center alternative for Windows 10?

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
SpencerC

HTPC Specs: Show details

Media Center alternative for Windows 10?

Post by SpencerC » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:43 am

Since MS decided to abandon WMC with Windows 10, does anyone know of a quality replacement that is compatible with the Ceton Infinitv 4 USB? I would like to be able to watch live tv, record tv, including channels like HBO, Showtime, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Spencer

STC

Post by STC » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:50 am

You are stuck with WMC for protected cable content.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

SpencerC

Post by SpencerC » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:58 am

STC wrote:You are stuck with WMC for protected cable content.
What is considered protected cable content? Is this just paid channels like HBO and Pay Per View events? If so, does that mean that all my other HD channels would be accessible with software other than WMC?

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:21 am

Depends on your provider. FIOS and Charter, for example only protect HBO and the like. Others protect nearly everything. If not protected, other software will work.

Sharks

Post by Sharks » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:26 am

See this article: http://dvr.about.com/od/dvrbasics/a/Und ... ection.htm.
More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copy_Control_Information

Channels such as HBO, Showtime, & Starz are all protected content and there is no other program for your PC that can currently view or record these channels.
If you read the article above those channels are normally flagged using this code:
"0x02 - Copy Once - A recording can be made, but that is it."

If you’re lucky or unlucky enough as it were certain cable providers flag all channels: "0x02 - Copy Once".

Hope that helps answer your question.

Note: To add to mdavej's post Comcast in my area only protects HBO and other "premium channels".

bob_p

Post by bob_p » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:05 pm

Today, only WMC provides support for cable copy-protected programs.

SiliconDust may have a DVR solution in the future that will support copy-protected programs, but that solution will probably not support the Ceton tuners.

Unless Ceton announces plans to support an alternative to WMC, you're stuck with Windows Media Center - until it stops working.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:37 pm

bob_p wrote:Today, only WMC provides support for cable copy-protected programs.

SiliconDust may have a DVR solution in the future that will support copy-protected programs, but that solution will probably not support the Ceton tuners.

Unless Ceton announces plans to support an alternative to WMC, you're stuck with Windows Media Center - until it stops working.
Even the SiliconDust beta right now does NOT support Copy protected programs and the interface of the program looks like it's designed for a keyboard and mouse, Not a REMOTE.

There is only SiliconDust and Ceton making tuners, it would of been nice if they went to a joint effort on this, sure they both have their perks but, if they had 2 times the resources, 2 times the funds, maybe they could of got the RIGHTS to use/enhance WIndows Media Center from Microsoft. I don't think anyone would be able to "BUY" it (too many patens involved) but, getting the rights and charging for it on Windows 10, could of been a option.

The use of cablecards are already there... I wonder if one of them ever went down this road and discussed this with Microsoft to see if was possible...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

Starflare5

Post by Starflare5 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:14 am

You know,

Sometime back a bit ago, someone figured out how to install Windows Media Center 2005 into Non-Windows XP Media Center Editions and Windows Server 2003 via either inf installer file, and, eventually, a full installer package itself both using files extracted from Windows Media Center Edition 2005. This got me to thinking, can the same be done to Windows 10 with files extracted from Windows 8.1 with Media Center. It's just an idea so that we may at least have something and figured that it was worth a shot.

FYI, if I can figure out how, I have a Windows 10 "guinea pig" system that I may try this on.

Just a thought,

Starflare5.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:23 pm

Starflare5 wrote:You know,

Sometime back a bit ago, someone figured out how to install Windows Media Center 2005 into Non-Windows XP Media Center Editions and Windows Server 2003 via either inf installer file, and, eventually, a full installer package itself both using files extracted from Windows Media Center Edition 2005. This got me to thinking, can the same be done to Windows 10 with files extracted from Windows 8.1 with Media Center. It's just an idea so that we may at least have something and figured that it was worth a shot.

FYI, if I can figure out how, I have a Windows 10 "guinea pig" system that I may try this on.

Just a thought,

Starflare5.
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =44&t=8779

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thread ... ternatives

Way ahead of you, Not working yet but, some progress towards it...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012