XBox One & WMC Setup

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
soccer4270

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by soccer4270 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:24 am

I just wanted to share my experience with xbone and wmc setup. I have my 360 running through the hdmi pass thru into the Xbone. The 360 is setup to start in WMC and the xbone is set up to go straight to watch TV (tried to make it simple for my wife). I have an IR extender setup for the 360 as I head trouble with the Kinect blaster reaching the 360. For my remote I use the harmony 650, and I use it to do everything, push one button and the 360, xbone, TV and audio receiver turn on. So far I have really enjoyed the setup, I can say "Xbox watch channel name" and the Xbone will tune the channel. I can get the volume to change by saying up or down and make use of the one guide all by speaking to the xbone. I do find that the WMC guide is more pleasant to look at though and I can still make use of it with the harmony remote. (I had the harmony remote from an old setup and still love it today). I still use media browser through the 360 as I tried Plax but found pled to have poor playback performance.

All in all I enjoy the setup even if it seems a bit redundant as the xbone could do this with some support from Microsoft.

KevinRush

Post by KevinRush » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:17 pm

Thank you everyone for all your comments! (Most of them are very helpful.)

I'm new to all this and am enjoying my Windows Media Center HTPC w/ Ceton card connected directly to my plasma TV in the living room with HDMI. I have other Xbox 360s in the house, extending it to other TVs. A traditional setup you all have seen.

Now we're moving to a new home and am thinking that I don't want my HTPC sitting near the TV in the living room. I'm thinking of buying another Xbox 360 and an Xbox One for the Living Room TV and setting them up as some of you have described.

Please forgive my "simple" question about SetUp to the experienced and knowledgeable users of these forums. Are there ANY pros and/or cons of having your main TV connected directly to the HTPC with HDMI cable vs an Xbox 360 extender set up connected with an HDMI cable? Any loss of any quality? Loss of sound system options or quality? The other TVs in our home are smaller and less resolution and seem fine, but is there some difference? The other TVs don't connect to sound systems.

I just thought if anyone would know the true Pros and Cons, but I searched the forums and couldn't find it discussed anywhere?

Any helpful comments would be appreciated.
Best Wishes

nigeltec

Post by nigeltec » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:34 am

Should be no "Cons" - I've had my 360 connected as an extender to my 52" LCD TV via HDMI for years.
Make sure you set the 360 to output 1080p resolution: Settings/TV/Configure TV/Flat Panel/HDMI/16:9/1080p @ 60Hz.
(I think it may auto detect and set to this resolution anyway but check here just in case)

eclas

Post by eclas » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:23 pm

I should probably ask this in the logitech forums and I know this an old thread but I was wondering how u got that 650 to fully work the xbox 360.
Every time I try to program it SOMETHING doesn't work right.
I tried to program a button to go to the recorded tv but it does nothing.
I have the xbox 360, xbox 360 SE (New One that converts to keystrokes I think) and the tv as devices I can use for this activity.
Also I can't get it to learn any commands from the xbox wireless controller.

How did u get it configured so well?
Any ideas for me? thanks
soccer4270 wrote:I just wanted to share my experience with xbone and WMC setup. I have my 360 running through the hdmi pass thru into the Xbone. The 360 is setup to start in WMC and the xbone is set up to go straight to watch TV (tried to make it simple for my wife). I have an IR extender setup for the 360 as I head trouble with the Kinect blaster reaching the 360. For my remote I use the harmony 650, and I use it to do everything, push one button and the 360, xbone, TV and audio receiver turn on. So far I have really enjoyed the setup, I can say "Xbox watch channel name" and the Xbone will tune the channel. I can get the volume to change by saying up or down and make use of the one guide all by speaking to the xbone. I do find that the WMC guide is more pleasant to look at though and I can still make use of it with the harmony remote. (I had the harmony remote from an old setup and still love it today). I still use media browser through the 360 as I tried Plax but found pled to have poor playback performance.

All in all I enjoy the setup even if it seems a bit redundant as the xbone could do this with some support from Microsoft.

nigeltec

Post by nigeltec » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:15 am

How to get Harmony 650 to work with Xbox 360
NOTES:
I have a Harmony 515 so must use "Logitech Remote Software 7.x" to config however as you have a 650 you can also use "MyHarmony Desktop software".
Perhaps use "Logitech Remote Software 7.x" (same as me) since I know it works.
Both are available here: http://support.myharmony.com/en/trouble ... y-software.
You do NOT have to get the 650 to "learn" WMC commands since by selecting the correct device (see below) it will already know them.

1) On Xbox 360 in Console settings\Remote controller setting, set option to BOTH (since Harmony will be sending it Media Center remote commands NOT Xbox)
2) Run Harmony config sware (Logitech Remote Software 7.x) and add all your devices such as:
TV: Your MAKE and MODEL
AV Receiver: Your MAKE and MODEL (If you use one)
PC: MAKE=Microsoft, MODEL=Windows Media Center (Model is Windows Media Center NOT MCE-1039 or MS-1039 else the Start button doesn’t work)
Game Console (With DVD): MAKE=Microsoft Game Console (With DVD), MODEL=Xbox 360
3) Then follow and finish the setup wizard.

Notes:
If you want to make a device send commands after it is powered on you need to run the Activity setup wizard again and select the option "Yes, but I want to add more control of options and devices for this Activity".
I configure my Xbox 360 (in console setting) to automatically start WMC when its powered on.

Hope that helps
Nigel

Izod517

Post by Izod517 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:37 pm

Has anyone had any luck with changing OTA channels on an X360 extender through the X1 with the One Guide? I've tried renumbering the channels so they don't have the .1 following them, but that doesn't seem to matter. It appears to enter the channel numbers and then nothing happens. Has anyone dealt with or resolved this?

kc8emd

Post by kc8emd » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:46 pm

I use the Ceton App called My Media Center Companion. Works way better than the xbox app for media center and it gives you access to the EPG on the go. Highly recommended.

http://cetoncorp.com/products/companion/

soccer4270

Post by soccer4270 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:07 pm

Sorry haven't read the forum for awhile so I missed your post. I just used the myharmony software is all I did. I than went in to the remote itself and edit buttons specifically for what I wanted. Sorry on my phone at work so I'm not sure of the exact menu option. But there are more options there than what Logitech defaults to. Hope your having luck and sorry for the late response

Sharks

Post by Sharks » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:20 pm

Thanks guys for posting the awesome options on how to get Windows Media Center to work with the Xbox One, I like forward to trying some of these solutions. I'm still hoping that Microsoft will add support to allow the Xbox One to be a media extender like the 360. I searched the forums and didn't see anyone posting this feedback/feature request for the Xbox One, hopefully it will let Microsoft know there is enough of a interest in getting WMC to have them add support. https://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/25164 ... a-extender

cuafpr

Post by cuafpr » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:07 am

So i got my HTPC hooked directly to my Xbox one and it works minus the TV set up, every time i try to change the channel via the xbox guide it goes to set up cause it wants the cable box model number, even though i selected media center PC. What did everyone put for a model number, or is it something else?

edit: NVM i think i figured it out, i used a logitech wireless keyboard to control my media center and haven't yet got an IR remote so i think that is the issue....

soccer4270

Post by soccer4270 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:05 pm

I used N1805 for the XBone to control my 360