Real Time Transcoding?

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
JWA

HTPC Specs: Show details

Real Time Transcoding?

Post by JWA » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:25 pm

Looking to add hardware of some sort allowing real-time or on-the-fly transcoding of .wtv recordings into something much less gigabyte intensive. perhaps .mkv, mp4 and so on.

Any one here doing this currently? What's the upsides and downsides? Cost isn't a huge factor but not really looking to break the bank either. :)

Looking forward to actual experiences if possible................

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:49 pm

Would love an option for this on Extenders, With my collection of movies being high bit rate Blu-ray rips, extenders playing them back can be hit or miss, some will play but, have bad suddering or just show video that looks worse than a 240p video. Others will play, look good but, stop to buffer every min or 2....so you get a 30 second freeze every min or 2...

Sigh with the end of WMC, this is not going to happen through official channels, if they allowed it on the Xbox one, with the processing power of that system, these problems would almost go away.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

JWA

Post by JWA » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:04 pm

DavidinCT wrote:Would love an option for this on Extenders, With my collection of movies being high bit rate Blu-ray rips, extenders playing them back can be hit or miss, some will play but, have bad suddering or just show video that looks worse than a 240p video. Others will play, look good but, stop to buffer every min or 2....so you get a 30 second freeze every min or 2...

Sigh with the end of WMC, this is not going to happen through official channels, if they allowed it on the Xbox one, with the processing power of that system, these problems would almost go away.
Not sure how this relates to my topic....................I was asking about things like video cards with this capability, AGP etc.................

sbaeder

Post by sbaeder » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:05 pm

AFAIK, there aren't any add-ins made for this sort of thing - least not at the comsumer level. System like Emby and others do "real time" (i.e. on the fly) transcoding to send video to other devices to minimize transfer rates, but they are all SW based, usually using ffmpeg or some other library to do the work.

His point was that this sort of a thing would be very useful even for extenders - i.e. he would also be interested...

wiretap

Post by wiretap » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:54 pm