Where is my Windows 10 upgrade?

Chat with other TGB members about whatever is on your mind.
joecrow

HTPC Specs: Show details

Where is my Windows 10 upgrade?

Post by joecrow » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:07 pm

Well it is the 29th of July and when I clicked on the Win 10 upgrade icon on the taskbar this morning it told me the upgrade was being rolled out and I would be notified when it was ready to install. It is now evening here (9pm) the upgrade icon has disappeared and I have not yet received any notification! I am beginning to suspect a foulup. :thumbdown:

Anyone got the free Win 10 upgrade yet??????

[Moderator note: topic moved]

KitKat

Post by KitKat » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:10 pm

I will not upgrade my server, since windows 10 remove media center....

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:15 pm

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:52 pm

Directions on forcing the update...

http://venturebeat.com/2015/07/28/how-t ... ate-files/

joecrow

Post by joecrow » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:03 am

Thanks for the responses, though I think I will wait for the auto rollout. I may prove interesting to see how long it takes. I seems a bit strange that the icon on the taskbar has disapeared :? has anyone else seen this and or received the upgrade automatically? I appreciate this forum may not be the best place to ask this question given our much loved MCE is not included but I will only be applying Win 10 to my desktop to seriously test out Media Portal 1 and maybe Kodi in the hope either or both have improved significantly since the last time I looked!! ;)

Doctor Feelgood

Post by Doctor Feelgood » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:33 am

The notice on my PCs all said starting July 29, or something like that. I can't say for sure, since the one I am on now is now looking to install it, or to have me schedule a day to do it. So, the auto rollout is working, but I am ignoring it for now.

joecrow

Post by joecrow » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:46 am

Update:-
Still no upgrade but I opened WMC this morning and got the message that the guide listings would be out of date in 3 days and did I want to download the latest? I clicked the download button and took a look at the guide which is in fact 100% empty!
When I minimized WMC I noticed the Win10 upgrade icon has reappeared on the taskbar, nothing new when I click on it though. Some while later the guide is still completely empty! On my HTPC (Win 7 x64, no upgrade downloads made) the guide is fully populated with data up to 13th August. Looks like the upgrade process has blocked guide updating.

joecrow

Post by joecrow » Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:43 pm

Update:-
Received an email this morning (sent yesterday evening from MS again confirming my reservation of the Win 10 upgrade and saying, to paraphrase, it is on its way and I should get it in days or weeks. :yawn:

P.S.
Guide has been updated and is fully populated, NB I am in Europe and to date I have not seen the Rovi/Zapit guide problems that are currently plaguing the USA.

joecrow

Post by joecrow » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:09 am

Latest:-

I'm writing this from my Win 10 Desktop PC, yes I got the free upgrade installed and running. :) Not without problems though. :(

Basically by Sunday (2-Aug) there was still no sign of the upgrade but I noted that my update history contained 2 failed entries for the same update (a big one) from that and the previous day, clicking the check for updates button just returned no new updates available, guessing something had gone wrong I decided to go the Media Creation Tool route. 8 hours later :yawn: I turned off the monitor and went to bed.

Next morning it was finished and I was able to burn a DVD, clicked on it and off went the upgrade process which after some while in the install phase (37%) bombed out with the super helpfull error report "Something happened" all subsequent attempts failed in the same way at the same point. :evil: I even tried booting from the DVD to see if there was an upgrade option in standalone mode but it would not accept the product code from the Win 7 DVD.

I googled both the Something happened error (much humour and derission but nothing usefull) and the update error code (various suggested solutions) and was able to force the download of the Win 10 update which either failed with the original error or sometimes seemed to get further along before failing with a different error! :problem: I then texted MS Support who helped me with a very complicated procedure to resolve the update problem, it may have worked but I could no longer force the update so rather that waiting for a further automatic one that may or may not have worked, I decided to also clean a few things up by unistalling anything associated with MCE (MyMovies, Weather app. etc.) then again tried the DVD which ran to completion with not a single blip. :D

Early impression:-
Win 10 looks good, all the old programs seem to work OK, settings are available in both the new and old (Win 7) forms if you find out where to look.
I am disapointed with the boot time, it is at least 7 seconds slower than Win 7 (consistently 13 secs. reported by my AV software) and often much slower up to 40 secs. System disc for both cases is the same SSD. The time to reach the login screen maybe be faster than with Win 7 but it seems much slower to get everything on the desktop up and running. Win 10 does seem to contain a lot of bloatware so there maybe some opportunity for improvement there.
I do not like not being able to turn off updates.
My default browser is Firefox which now seems to take much longer to load web pages, I will compare with the new Edge browser from MS.

So that's it no more MCE on my desktop :cry: but new opportunities are now opening maybe (I have an image backup of Win 7 if the worst comes to pass) ;)