Xbox360 cannot see network shared libraries?

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
Cirdecus

HTPC Specs: Show details

Xbox360 cannot see network shared libraries?

Post by Cirdecus » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:26 am

I've just started getting involved in the media center world a few months ago. I finished my home theater build about a month or so ago, but I'm starting to notice that the TV that uses an Xbox360 as an extender cannot access network shares.

Current setup:

Windows Server 2008 R2 server
Windows 7 media center PC
Xbox 360
Gigabit ethernet switch and router. All components wired with Cat5e. I do not use wireless.

The media center PC stores recorded TV locally on a couple of 3TB hard drives within the PC. It is hooked to my home theater in my basement.
The server stores my movies, music and pictures on 10+ 3TB drives in a big RAID 5 and shares them over the network. I've added these libraries to my media center PC using UNC paths (ex. "\\server\movies"). All shares are shared to everyone for the time being.
The xbox 360 is connected to a TV upstairs and is setup as an extender from my media center PC.

For some reason, my xbox 360 cannot access these shared libraries. It can access the recorded TV library stored locally on the media center, but it cannot access the libraries on the server. I was under the impression that the xbox did NOT communicate directly with the server, but simply used a combination of fast user-switching and RDP to share the interface. I would assume that like any RDP type of connection, accessing shares from a media center PC would simply use the media center PC and the MCX1 or 2 credentials.

The shared libraries are set to be shared to "everyone" so I know its not a credential thing. The Xbox360 is the only device on the network that has to operate on a slow 100Mbps link but all other devices are configured to negotiate speed like usual. Again, the media center PC works great, but when i try to access mymovies or another shared library from the xbox, it cannot find the share.

Any ideas? This sounds like a known bug that i simply overlooked. If that's the case, is there a solution?

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:50 am

Have you tried adding the MCX user account to the Administrators group on your media center PC?
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

Cirdecus

Post by Cirdecus » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:23 pm

I haven't tried that yet since the shares are open to all users. I may try it just to see. I was thinking that perhaps this was a known issue.

Does anyone else use shared libraries from a network device like a server or NAS and then use an extender to access them?

Cirdecus

Post by Cirdecus » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:10 pm

Still isn't working.

Has anyone tried accessing network libraries from the 360 as an extender?

I use MyMovies on my HTPC with the movies stored on a server and while MyMovies works on the 360, access to each MKV file does not.

hopscotching

Post by hopscotching » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:16 pm

Cirdecus wrote:Still isn't working.

Has anyone tried accessing network libraries from the 360 as an extender?

I use MyMovies on my HTPC with the movies stored on a server and while MyMovies works on the 360, access to each MKV file does not.
I have run into this issue too... My solution was to add the server share (where the movies are stored) as a video location on the xbox, using a username / password... Movies now play.
refugee from the old greenbutton mess

Cirdecus

Post by Cirdecus » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:28 pm

Do you mean the Video portion of media center or another application on the xbox?

hopscotching

Post by hopscotching » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:38 pm

Yes in media center on the xbax, add the server share, as a video library using a user name and password that has access to the directory.

Hope this helps and does not confuse.
refugee from the old greenbutton mess

jerryj26

Post by jerryj26 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:03 pm

why not just add those share directories to the WMC Libraries?