New To Win. Media Center, Netflix App/ seems to not work

mrbreezeet1

HTPC Specs: Show details

New To Win. Media Center, Netflix App/ seems to not work

Post by mrbreezeet1 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:24 pm

Properly?
Hi, I am a new member and new to Windows Media Center, I just got this HP Compaq HP 2010 system with win 7 64 bit. I don't have cable or satellite, so I depend on netflix for entertainment.
I am just playing Netflix on my computer screen. I don't have it hooked up to a TV or X Box, or Blue Ray, any other fancy player.
I just found the internet TV thing in windows media center, It is not too bad, at least there are some shows I can watch for free. I only have about 1MB per sec. download speed, but it still works fine after it pauses for a bit to buffer. This is Internet TV I am talking about right now.
And when say a episode of taxi is over, I click back , and can chose other episode's pretty easy.
Now, with Netflix (using WMC) on the other hand, The screen will go back to my instant Queue , and if I hit "Play" it will play the same episode. I can get to the menu part where you scroll or arrow down, but it's sort of goes too fast, and you have to catch it just right,
Now is there not supposed to be something like Silverlight has where there is a button that just says "Play next episode"?
( Or why don't WMC or Silverlight/netflix, for that matter let you load several episodes in at a time if you want.)

I was having the problem where it would crash(WMC) and just give the blank/black screen, and you have to ctrl/alt/delete/ and close the program in task manager, but upgrade to starlight 5 IIRC the version, cured that.
IDK to me Silverlight just seems so much more user friendly if you will.
I guess I can just continue to use Silverlight for Netflix, and WMC for internet TV, but it would have been nice to have it all in one player.
Thanks for any help you might know of.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:57 pm

WMC's Netflix application uses Silverlight. But the user interface is different in WMC than it is in a browser. I believe this is because Netflix didn't actually create the application for WMC...that was created by Microsoft with Netflix' assistance. But Netflix created the UI for the browser.

mrbreezeet1

Post by mrbreezeet1 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:45 pm

OK Thanks, So Mine "is what it is"?
IOW's, it is working the way it is supposed to?
If that is the case, Then I feel it needs improvement.
The way it is right now,I guess it's WMC for Free Internet TV, and Silverlight for Netflix.
One would think MS would make it a easier to use App.
I understand calling Netflix does not help, they tell you to call MS.
Thanks,
Tony