Record to OneDrive

jlader

HTPC Specs: Show details

Record to OneDrive

Post by jlader » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:36 pm

I would like to be able to have my record folder inside OneDrive. Anybody tried this? Any way of doing this?
Some say the way to peace is through many arms...

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:14 pm

I'm not familiar with how OneDrive does things. If it's like Drop Box there is an actual local location that stores the files before syncing them. The problem here would arise when it tries to sync before the files are finished recording. WMC creates the file and writes to it as it records.

The only way I can imagine this working properly would be a setting that prevents OneDrive from syncing files before they've been in the folder for a certain time period.

jlader

Post by jlader » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:11 pm

LuckyDay wrote:I'm not familiar with how OneDrive does things. If it's like Drop Box there is an actual local location that stores the files before syncing them. The problem here would arise when it tries to sync before the files are finished recording. WMC creates the file and writes to it as it records.

The only way I can imagine this working properly would be a setting that prevents OneDrive from syncing files before they've been in the folder for a certain time period.
Not sure that this would be an issue unless you are trying to access wtv file that is being recorded. There are a number of apps that record security cams to onedrive (drv.webcam) without issues.

I was looking at one possibility, turning a OneDrive folder into a virtual drive. Any thoughts?

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:18 pm

With the One drive app installed on Windows 7, it does not give a drive letter. So you could not manually set it. Then I believe there is a upload limit of 5gb on One Drive, If you could trick WMC to use the folder, you can only upload a 1/2 hour show, as 1 hour shows are 6-8gb.

The OTHER problem, if you don't have a synced copy down on your system, it would have to download it before you can watch it (DVR-MS or WTV files DO NO STREAM very well), So, let's see, a 7gb file, your internet connection might take 5-10 min to download it, so you go into WMC, find the show and hit play, then WAIT 5-10 min before it starts playing.

This has nothing but problems written all over it...Trust me, it's not worth it...

Media Center was designed before the "Cloud" age, so it's not really cloud ready and you will run into major issues doing it, if it is even possible (I am sure it is but, doing it is a whole different story.)
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

jlader

Post by jlader » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:47 pm

DavidinCT wrote:With the One drive app installed on Windows 7, it does not give a drive letter. So you could not manually set it. Then I believe there is a upload limit of 5gb on One Drive, If you could trick WMC to use the folder, you can only upload a 1/2 hour show, as 1 hour shows are 6-8gb.

The OTHER problem, if you don't have a synced copy down on your system, it would have to download it before you can watch it (DVR-MS or WTV files DO NO STREAM very well), So, let's see, a 7gb file, your internet connection might take 5-10 min to download it, so you go into WMC, find the show and hit play, then WAIT 5-10 min before it starts playing.

This has nothing but problems written all over it...Trust me, it's not worth it...

Media Center was designed before the "Cloud" age, so it's not really cloud ready and you will run into major issues doing it, if it is even possible (I am sure it is but, doing it is a whole different story.)
Thanks for the input David.
I'm looking at this in the "Experimental" stage :D
First figure out how, and then see the limitations.
I know that Onedrive has changed a lot recently: giving 1TB for Office365 subscribers (Even talking unlimited); increasing maximum file size to 10gb. I have not found a upload daily limit (Not saying there isn't (or wasn't) one. From what I can find, the speed limitation is from the ISP, not from OneDrive, though there is a maximum on number of files of 20,000.

I'm looking at this as a possible way to retrieve video files from a remote location. At my location, I have bandwidth limitations do to only having Satellite internet. But I do have an unlimited freezone from Midnight to 5AM. Syncing can be scheduled during that time. In theory, the remote location would record / upload the video files; At night, I would be able to download them; In the morning, they would be available for viewing. I see the weakest link as being the remote location's upload speed.

RyC

Post by RyC » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:37 pm

Who is the TV provider, what kind of tuners do you have, what is your download speed on satellite, and what is the upload speed at the remote site?

jlader

Post by jlader » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:23 pm

RyC wrote:Who is the TV provider, what kind of tuners do you have, what is your download speed on satellite, and what is the upload speed at the remote site?
I'll would be capturing video via a Hauppauge HDPVR. I can adjust the stream rate down to reduce the file sizes. At the reomtoe sight there is cable internet (Charter). They claim an upload speed of 4Mbps, though I doubt it. Download speed of Satellite is not an issue, I've tested it as high as 18Mbps. - most of the time, about 8Mbps

RyC

Post by RyC » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:39 pm

jlader wrote:
RyC wrote:Who is the TV provider, what kind of tuners do you have, what is your download speed on satellite, and what is the upload speed at the remote site?
I'll would be capturing video via a Hauppauge HDPVR. I can adjust the stream rate down to reduce the file sizes. At the reomtoe sight there is cable internet (Charter). They claim an upload speed of 4Mbps, though I doubt it. Download speed of Satellite is not an issue, I've tested it as high as 18Mbps. - most of the time, about 8Mbps
In a previous TV life, I did something similar with an EyeTV HD (same as HD PVR but for Macs) at a remote location and then downloaded the recordings overnight. Upload speed was similar, maybe 5 Mbps. At the lowest encoding setting (don't know the exact bitrate), it would take maybe 2-3 hours to download a 1 hour show, which ended up being 3.5 gigabytes.

It looks like the HD PVR can go all the way down to a bitrate of 1 Mbps (which may result in a poor picture), but you would have to record at a pretty low bitrate or find another way to make the file sizes smaller in order to download more than 1 or 2 shows in the 5 hour "free download" time window.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:22 pm

jlader wrote:
DavidinCT wrote:With the One drive app installed on Windows 7, it does not give a drive letter. So you could not manually set it. Then I believe there is a upload limit of 5gb on One Drive, If you could trick WMC to use the folder, you can only upload a 1/2 hour show, as 1 hour shows are 6-8gb.

Thanks for the input David.
I'm looking at this in the "Experimental" stage :D
First figure out how, and then see the limitations.
I know that Onedrive has changed a lot recently: giving 1TB for Office365 subscribers (Even talking unlimited); increasing maximum file size to 10gb. I have not found a upload daily limit (Not saying there isn't (or wasn't) one. From what I can find, the speed limitation is from the ISP, not from OneDrive, though there is a maximum on number of files of 20,000.

I'm looking at this as a possible way to retrieve video files from a remote location. At my location, I have bandwidth limitations do to only having Satellite internet. But I do have an unlimited freezone from Midnight to 5AM. Syncing can be scheduled during that time. In theory, the remote location would record / upload the video files; At night, I would be able to download them; In the morning, they would be available for viewing. I see the weakest link as being the remote location's upload speed.
So, with 10gb, you might be ok with an hour or hour and 1/2 movie or show...

OK, Hmmm... Is this Windows 7 or Windows 8 ? If windows 7, I opened my one drive and points to C:\Users\<user name>\SkyDrive (I had mine setup for a while so it just renamed the shortcut).

In the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center There is a service area and recording settings, you can manually try to put it in there to see if it works.

Pop around that area in the registry, you might be able to change your folder into there but, be warned about the possible issues.

That should lead you in the right directions, again, it might not even be possible but, why not try...

Or you can just find a program, that will Sync all your files to another folder, then you can have them (at night) sync all your recorded shows to the one drive folder and it should upload them for you. (this might be the better way to do it, as your tv buffer is in the Recorded TV folder, and if you try to sync it to cloud while in use your going to have issues)
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012