MS Updates To Avoid?

JWA

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by JWA » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:10 pm

mercalia wrote: I hear that MC runs fine under windows 10 ( Paul Thurrot ) so maybe some clever person could extract it from windows 8 and do us all a favour and one in the eye for MS for treating some of its fans this way?
How would one extract WMC from the OS and have it as a separate "program" we could install ourselves?

mercalia

Post by mercalia » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:51 pm

just wishful thinking, is beyond me

ftgba2244

Post by ftgba2244 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:56 pm

JWA wrote:
mercalia wrote: I hear that MC runs fine under windows 10 ( Paul Thurrot ) so maybe some clever person could extract it from windows 8 and do us all a favour and one in the eye for MS for treating some of its fans this way?
How would one extract WMC from the OS and have it as a separate "program" we could install ourselves?
It's entirely possible that WMC is too dependent on the activation system for this to work, but if I had the time, this is what I'd try...

1) Install Win8.1 Pro and Win10 on clean VMs.
2) Export the entire registry.
3) "Add features" (WMC) and let the system reboot.
4) Export the registry again.
5) Compare the registry dumps to find what keys were added in the conversion process.
6) Separate the important WMC keys from the junk, and set aside for import on Win10.
7) Copy all of the ehome files over to Win10, and import the registry changes you separated in the previous step.
8) Restart and pray that the ehome services start upon bootup.

Anyone up to the challenge? Has anyone tried this or something similar?

RyC

Post by RyC » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:09 pm

Yes but unfortunately It seems there's more to it than that: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =44&t=8779

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:24 am

JWA wrote:
Trust me, if we figure it out we will make it public...

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =44&t=8779

We have tried and still kind of working on this, as we really need to see the RTM before we can try actually patching it to run...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

mercalia

Post by mercalia » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:00 am

maybe a soln to the media center problem is some how to prevent the W10 install deleting it rather than figure out how to putit back?

well I have intalled it all the W10 on a note book to see what happens. Seems like one thing that reservation button does is to change the update policy to update without user intervention - hardly any thing new.