Can't record series

gbwelly

HTPC Specs: Show details

Can't record series

Post by gbwelly » Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:38 am

Hello all. After building a new media center running Windows 8.1 it has developed an interesting and annoying issue. For about the first week the media center behaved well, dutifully recording the news and various shows happily. Well now it does not record series any more. The shows appear in the View Scheduled -> Series list. However the shows don't get scheduled. Also if you select a show in the guide and press the record button on it once it will record. If you press the record button twice.. nada, nothing, the double red dots don't appear. If you go to advance record there is no option to record the series. It's like the function just doesn't exist. No recording failures in the history, they can't fail because it doesn't even schedule the show. Can't reschedule the show series' because the option isn't there.

Can anyone please help me with this?

CyberSimian

Post by CyberSimian » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:08 pm

gbwelly wrote:if you select a show in the guide and press the record button on it once it will record. If you press the record button twice.. nada, nothing, the double red dots don't appear. If you go to advance record there is no option to record the series.
This sounds like an EPG issue.

The EPG for Windows 7 (and 8/8.1) has series ids that identify programmes as being part of a series. But if the EPG lacks the series ids, WMC will think that those programmes are not part of a series, and hence offer only "record once".

The EPG for Vista does not have series ids, and so Vista has to support series recording differently. It does this by using the programme titles to identify programmes belonging to the same series.

The work-around for your problem is to use the facility offered by both Vista MC and Win7/8 MC, namely to specify a keyword or string that WMC is to use to identify programmes to record. This can (of course) be the programme title. It should result in the same result that you would get using Vista, but is more cumbersome to set up than pressing the RECORD button twice.

Otherwise, complain to the provider of the EPG information that you are using?

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

gbwelly

Post by gbwelly » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:45 pm

Ah ha, thank you for this. As part of the refresh I upgraded to the latest version of EPG Collector. I upload the data to drop box as a number of people use it. The upload script wasn't working for the first couple of days. Big Screen EPG would have run the first guide data import on the new media center box from the old data, so the first 7 days would have been fine. I now know what to investigate.