Add a Tuner

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
VikingCrown

HTPC Specs: Show details

Add a Tuner

Post by VikingCrown » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:28 pm

I currently have my Silicondust HDHR and Hauppauge HVR-2250 working quite nicely in my system.

I am getting an Hauppauge DCR-2650 for Christmas. My question is, how do I add the 2650 without having to re-do the settings on my other tuners (which was a PITA!)

Is it possible?

Tracer

Post by Tracer » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:17 pm

I don't think it is possible but, even though it can be a pain to go through the setup you may want to anyway that way you can make sure everything is setup the way you want.

You will need to pass the digital cable card advisor if you haven't done that already also, there may be a playready update that may need to be applied once you add the cable card tuner. Then you will want to combine the channels that the HDHR and 2250 receieve in the clear with the channels the cable card tuner also receives. Making them a higher priority so those tuners will be used first so the cable card tuner can be utilized for the channels it only receives.

Also, are you using the HDHR and 2250 as clear QAM tuners only or are you using them for OTA and analog cable as well?

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:23 pm

What Tracer said.

While I was waiting for my Ceton earlier this year (back when you had to wait a month or more), I tested my system with a Hauppauge 2250 for clear QAM. Great.

But mapping the channels and integrating it all to work nicely and effectively--that's a major pain. I bet I went through it five times before I got everything straight.

I've come to the conclusion that if/when I rejigger things on my box, I will dump the 2250 completely--and maybe even get a second Ceton. CableCARD just makes the whole channel thing SO much easier.

VikingCrown

Post by VikingCrown » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:12 pm

I have passed the digital cable advisor so i am set there. I am currently only using the 2250 and HDHR for QAM, not OTA.

Bummer i can't save the settings and just add a new tuner. Guess it will be a pain, but oh well.

Thanks!