Multiple Tuning Adapters

steveo_in_sd

HTPC Specs: Show details

Multiple Tuning Adapters

Post by steveo_in_sd » Tue May 05, 2015 4:54 am

Hi All - having some strange behavior. I have a DCR-2650 and an HDHR PRIME. The DCR-2650 has had a Tuning Adapter (TA) hooked up for years now, but I never got one for the PRIME which I got just a few months ago and have been using for Clear QAM. I got a second TA today, got it provisioned and authorized, and confirmed such via the diagnostics pages and a Cox Tech Support call. The DCR-2650 is hooked up via USB to my HTPC and the PRIME is associated to the same HTPC. It seems like only the original TA will work with the DCR-2650 and the one connected to the PRIME just won't work despite the status pages seemingly saying everything is fine.

Anyone have experience with this use case? Or any suggestions?

steveo_in_sd

Post by steveo_in_sd » Fri May 08, 2015 2:59 am

No one has multiple TAs and can offer advice?

Everything seems good, but the second TA just will not resolve SDV channels. WMC says that "Subscription is required" when trying with the second TA, but when accessing a channel with the first TA, it works properly. The cablecard associated with the second TA shows as properly provisioned and authorized.

signcarver

Post by signcarver » Fri May 08, 2015 5:54 am

I believe cox in SD is a moto area but I might be thinking of another SC area so there are a few things I can think of if that is the case.

First, do you have a cablecard for the prime as the TA is useless without it. Wasn't sure since you mentioned using it for clear qam (rereading your second post you seemed to have confirmed you do).

Second, the TA for the prime connects to the prime, the HTPC has nothing to do with it. The prime connect to your network

Third are you running TunerSalad or similar as WMC has a limit of 4 tuners of the same type and you now have 5, before you had 2 of one and 3 of another type.

Fourth, what version firmware are you running on the prime? Primes produced since last May either require updated firmware or one must make sure a Moto TA is on 1.4 to fix a bug on the Moto TA that didn't accept certificates issued after January 2014, if you are not in a Moto area you can disregard this.

Every now and then I hear that Moto may require more "pairing" between the Card/Device and the TA from the company (I don't believe this but have seen it come up from time to time). With Ciscos I know I can take a TA off one and plug it into another on the same account so you may wish to try that even with moto.

TAs generally won't work if daisy chained to one another. For your setup you would want a 4 way splitter with one port going to a TA, another to a TA, another to the DCR and another to the Prime... if moto this is "required", with cisco you might get away with running the tuners off the coax out of the TA and only "need" a two way splitter but I would still suggest a 4 way splitter.

What do the logs of the prime say?
What does the cablecard status say?
What do the TA pages look like?

I would disconnect the DCR, rerun tuner setup and concentrate on getting the prime working, then try to get the DCR to work.

steveo_in_sd

Post by steveo_in_sd » Sun May 31, 2015 3:39 am

Thanks for the suggestions, signcarver. The situation has stabilized with me being able to tune 2 SDV channels without fail for the past few weeks. I suspect that your idea around cable splitters and daisy-chaining the TAs is a winner, but the idea of untangling the cable spaghetti isn't to appealing so I'll let it ride until it becomes an issue again.

Cox in San Diego uses the Cisco STA 1520 TAs. The status for the TAs shows connected and authorized for both, which is why I'm thinking your "chain" idea is indeed the issue.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun May 31, 2015 5:30 am

When you get a round2it Steve, just leave the rats nest where it is, and makeup the splitter coax harness on the 4way, the tough part will be finding the source for input into the splitter. You wont even have to touch USB and Ethernet.

Might be easiest to get a 10 foot piece on the splitter to begin with and just go straight to the wall.
Attachments
DualTunerDualTA.jpg