XBox 360 MCX keeps "losing" movie library

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
JackLuminous

HTPC Specs: Show details

XBox 360 MCX keeps "losing" movie library

Post by JackLuminous » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:52 pm

My movie library is mostly Mkvs I ripped of my own dvds. They are stored on a WHS2011 box. My biggest gripe now is that sometime the movie library keeps "losing" the content. Either of the following occur:
1. Go into Movie Library, after a few seconds content is displayed. Few more seconds after content is displayed the gallery is empty as if I didn't set it up.
2. Go into Movie Libray and nothing is displayed.

The dvdinfocache folder under the mcx account is always populated so I know WMC knows about these movies. Has anyone experienced this before?

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:13 am

Check the health of the movie HDD?

JackLuminous

Post by JackLuminous » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:19 am

No problem reported with the drives.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:25 am

You says the xmls are there, what about the cover art. Cover art is in a separate folder than the xml files, but in the same parent folder the xml folder is located in.

When I used the WMC movie library, if I had the xml file for metadata, but didn't create a cover art image (not talking about cover art/folder.jpg in the folder the actual movie file is located in), and named it appropriately, the movie wouldn't display in the library until I did. Windows at some point just stopped generating them for newly added files/movies. I never figured out why; I have since just moved onto Plex.

You could look at that; that's the only other thing I can think of. :|
Last edited by Ed  on Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

Shark007

Post by Shark007 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:28 am

Check that the folder containing the movies is added to the Windows Media Player Library on the PC that has WMC on it.
Retain your sanity, use Shark007 Codecs

JackLuminous

Post by JackLuminous » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:31 am

@Ed, Yeah, I have cover art in the DvdCoverCache or whatever that folder is called.

I've also noticed this on the WMC but the library always populates. The MCX is just problematic. I thought it was due to combining vobs and mkvs in my library so I removed the vobs. No difference. I've even tried removing the library folder then adding it back and let the MCX sit there finding and rebuilding stuff. No difference. It's as if something is causing media center to constantly expire the metadata or something.

JackLuminous

Post by JackLuminous » Sat May 02, 2015 6:19 pm

Update:
The MCX is definitely just not seeing *.mkvs. I went into the Video LIbrary and didn't see any of my *.mkvs there either. This tells me that the MCX accounts are not recognizing the filetype or something. Those W7 registry mods that are available online (ex. hack7mc) did not work for me. For giggles, I installed Haali, and the Xbox MCX started recognizing mkvs again. I uninstalled Haali and the mcx was still working.

Now, I removed both my MCX from the WMC, rebooted, and re-installed the MCX. Sure enough, no Mkv love again. Is Haali doing some registry changes also? Iam going to do another test where I install haali, remove it, confirm things are working then reboot. Only difference is that I will not be uninstalling the mcx.

In my setup I have LAV + VSFilter. No other codec packs or anything else.

Shark007

Post by Shark007 » Sat May 02, 2015 8:38 pm

JackLuminous wrote:In my setup I have LAV + VSFilter. No other codec packs or anything else.
I suggest that you uninstall both LAV and VSFilter (Haali too if it is installed) and try my STANDARD Codecs.
It only contains LAV and VSFilter + the deprecated Media Foundation MKV splitter from Divx.com which facilitates MKV support on Extenders.
After installing my software, the GUI comes up (x2 if you have a 64bit OS), and all you need to do is check the box, [x] SUGGESTED settings
One setting that you may find helpful is on the Misc TAB, [Rebuild WMP Library]
That button was recently updated to include rebuilding the Extenders Library too (if it exists).
Retain your sanity, use Shark007 Codecs