Two InfiniTV cards in same PC with different providers

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
kd6icz

HTPC Specs: Show details

Two InfiniTV cards in same PC with different providers

Post by kd6icz » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:13 am

Is it possible to have two different TV providers in one WMC PC?

jfreiman

Post by jfreiman » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:01 am

I don't see why it wouldn't work. Even if you only have one Ceton card connected to one provider, Media Center still downloads multiple guides, one for terrestrial and one for cable company.

Regarding pairing two services... I could be wrong, but Media Center doesn't care about who your Ceton cards are paired to.

When you initially set up Windows Media Center it tests certain components in your computer to verify that they are digitally isolated from the rest of your system. Once Windows certifies your Media Center setup to be compatible with a Digital CableCard, it generates a unique ID/Serial Number for your system and this unique ID then allows your computer to record and play back protected content, etc.

When you call the cable company "A" they will pair to the Ceton device you have connected to their service...
When you call cable company "B" they will pair to the Ceton device and CableCard on their service...

The two cable companies don't do interact with your Windows computer or Windows Media Center software/service, they are only adding to the chain of authenticity that you started when you set up Media Center.

Since each Windows PC can only have generate one unique ID/serial number for each computer running Windows Media Center, it will not allow overlapping channels.

I know in the past, when I had cable, over the air and DirecTV via boxes, I had the three guides on my PC and Windows Media Center altered the virtual channel numbers for all my sources so it would show 1-2000, 3000-4000, etc.

My question is, how do you have access to two cable companies/services at one location? Do you have cable and Verizon as your alternate provider?

kd6icz

Post by kd6icz » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:50 am

Yes. TWC and FiOS are both available. Obviously FiOS is the supreme provider of the two. But two things make me have to have TWC on some level. One is the Dodgers.... Two is access to Music Choice through the smartphone app which Verizon hasn't signed onto yet.