ETH6 Low SNR on two channels only

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
STC

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by STC » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:12 pm

3 tuners should take less mojo than 6 and the Prime is a little less fussy about what it gets so you may find it works well.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

tzr916

Post by tzr916 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:35 pm

Three tuners is not enough for me... If the SD tuners can successfully receive these two channels, then I plan to run them both (two cable cards) and force WMC not to use the ETH for those two channels.

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:45 am

tzr916 wrote:Three tuners is not enough for me... If the SD tuners can successfully receive these two channels, then I plan to run them both (two cable cards) and force WMC not to use the ETH for those two channels.
That's easy, after you set up the other tuner, just go the guide, right click on the channel number you want to modify and select EDIT CHANNEL and from the next menu select EDIT SOURCES and then uncheck the tuner(s) you don't want used for that channel and save/save. You could do that right now for your two bad channels as long as they're still on Tuner #3.

I still wouldn't discount something going bad in the modem. What you're seeing now might just be a warning for what is to come (like complete modem shut down) If a swap out from Comcast is available, I'd try that before the filter (which you have to order anyway).

tzr916

Post by tzr916 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:18 am

Ya, I browsed around in there after your earlier post about selecting which tuners WMC can use for a given channel. Not going to change it right now (with just the ETH) because the low SNR moves around from tuner to tuner. It's random and it does not stay constant. Sometimes it's tuner 1, sometimes it's tuner 2, sometimes it's tuner xyz. Sometimes it's just one of the tuners, sometimes it's two or three of the tuners, etc.

HDHR Prime will be here tomorrow and will try to pickup 2nd cable card Monday. So that is gonna be my next test.

tzr916

Post by tzr916 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:11 pm

tzr916 wrote:Tuners work fine with 50ft from POE to splitter patched to ETH.
Connect modem to that splitter and tuners go to heck.
Well, I have to apologize, eat my own words, and throw out any of the things posted regarding the modem being the problem. Seems my in-ability to go more than a few minutes without internet has ruined that theory.

This morning, I decided to run one more test:
unplug the modem power
disconnect modem coax from the line
reboot ETH
tune all tuners to channel 367/369 and wait
First 10 minutes looked good... then the SNR started to drop... at 20 minutes up-time three of the tuners were down to 32 dB.

Conclusion- NOT a modem issue at all :oops:

Next step- Add HDHR Prime.

tzr916

Post by tzr916 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:38 am

Setup HDHR Prime today. Forced wmc to ONLY use the Prime tuners when accessing channels 367 & 369 AND forced all other channels to ONLY use the Ceton tuners. Live Tv channel changing between prime and Ceton is seemless. Three hours of uptime and no low SNR (on the Prime tuners). Going to run like this and see if we get anymore "no signal" or "not recorded" or "partial recording" errors in wmc.

So it seems the Ceton ETH tuners just don't like the 135000 frequency! They worked fine for almost 2 years, then poof... mystery :wtf: