Media Center Install on a PCI-Express SSD

IownFIVEechos

HTPC Specs: Show details

Media Center Install on a PCI-Express SSD

Post by IownFIVEechos » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:41 pm

I just got a PCI-e SSD drive for the new install of the OS. Does anyone have experience with that. Was it a bad idea for longevity/heat etc...? Supposed to be faster then the SATA versions and gives me room for the two drives to be OS independent in the case.

Bryan

Post by Bryan » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:08 pm

As long as it's bootable I don't see why it'd be bad. I've only used one PCI-E SSD, but it's worked well for 3-4 years now. I'm not sure how much benefit you'd see, but it should work.

Doctor Feelgood

Post by Doctor Feelgood » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:23 pm

Should be no different than your typical SSD in terms of reliability. I have owned one from OCZ for a while, and I kind of made my own, which is presently running one HTPC for me now... I have this card - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6815124139 - installed with a pair of 240GB mSATA SSDs, with room for two more SSDs onboard. (and no, I didn't pay that much for the card - a 1x mSATA version failed under warranty and they replaced it with the 4x mSATA version since they had no more stock of the 1x).

Van Gogh

Post by Van Gogh » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:01 pm

I just rebuilt my HTPC and bought a motherboard that supported an M.2 PCIe SSD, so I used a Plextor 256Gb drive in this slot for the OS. I'll store my recorded TV on two 10K 1Tb drives in a RAID 1 configuration. My Windows 7 boot time is now literally about 6 seconds after the POST. So, to answer your question, I can't recommend a PCIe SSD enough, but I'd stick to conventional drives for recorded TV and the live TV buffer to sustain the life of the SSD.