.MP4 Video Won't Play in WMC7 64 bit

Gravydog

HTPC Specs: Show details

.MP4 Video Won't Play in WMC7 64 bit

Post by Gravydog » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:30 am

This is so strange. I had to reinstall W7 from scratch and I took the opportunity to move to 64 bit. I seem to have everything pretty much whipped into shape except tonight I tried to play an episode from a series I had downloaded in .mp4 format. I have them in my Videos folder and previously they were playing without a hitch in both MC and Media Player in my 32-bit installation. Now with 64-bit they won't even try to play in MC, it just goes immediately back to the play button with no indicated error. In Media Player 12 the video plays normally but there is no audio. I know the file is ok because it plays normally in VLC. I Googled about it and was surprised I didn't find a solution right away, just a lot of posts about codec packs. I'm not aware of any I added to my 32-bit system, does 64-bit require something that 32-bit did not? Hopefully one of you has already experienced this and can set me straight. Thanks!

Rob

Tester

Post by Tester » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:11 pm

I had the same exact issue, was a simple fix with Sharks codec. I can report back later today with the exact shark setting that fixed this issue. Although mp4, it is a container so it all depends on what is inside of it.

Gravydog

Post by Gravydog » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:00 pm

I installed the Shark codecs and all is working now, thanks very much. I didn't change any settings. Still curious why it wasn't (apparently) needed in 32-bit?

Rob