Copy once question/solution

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
mrmarbles

HTPC Specs: Show details

Copy once question/solution

Post by mrmarbles » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:05 pm

I'm about to get cable tv with some form of dvr, and I'm trying really hard to avoid dvr with a cable company. I figured the infinitv 6 would be a perfect solution, until I read about copy protection from broadcasts. So I have a couple questions to clarify what I'll be getting/not getting with an htpc dvr setup.

I want to watch recorded tv in two rooms, both have their own pc and can be wired to a cable wall outlet if needed. With this copy protection limitation, will I be able to record on one tv with windows 7, and watch the recorded show on another with windows 7?

If not, can I assign different tuners to each computer, and record the same show on each computer, even though only one pc has the pcie card? Or can I record on two different pcs with a single infinitv 6 eth?

Otherwise, I wondered if I could get a cheaper adapter in each machine with its own cable card to record on each machine. This I think would be last resort...

Thank you for your help. Let me know if I've been unclear in my questions...

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:48 pm

If you purchase the Ceton ETH Ethernet 6 tuner device, with one cableCARD (and tuning adapter if you have switched digital video) you can have the tuners available to both computers. The restriction on CCI 0x02 (copy once) is that the program recorded can only be played on the computer that recorded it OR on a media center extender paired with that host.

So if you got the Ceton ETH Ethernet tuner AND a Media Center extender such as the HP 280n, Linksys 2100/2200 or Ceotn Echo and set that up on your home network for the second tv, it would be able to see everything you recorded on computer one as well as being able to schedule recordings. Also you can store ripped moves on a server and those will be available to both the computer host and extender. There would be no copy protection on those so you could view those on any computer or extender.

A little more information might help, the most restrictive cable system is Time Warner Cable which now has encrypted their entire line-up in most markets and marks everything except for over the air restransmission (network, PBS) as copy once. Other cable systems are far less restrictive such as FiOS. So depending on your provider you might have a lot of programs available. BTW if you have your computers set up on a HOME GROUP, you can automatically share recorded tv between macihnes. In media center when you open Recorded TV you'll see a tab marked shared, if you have set it up correctly and click on it, it will show a list of other computers and servers with recorded tv programs, clicking on one will open that device and allow you to play the program OR make a copy of the program to your host computer.

If you elect to get a cable system DVR, you won't be able to save any programming off the DVR and will only be able to use multi-room viewing with cable system provided equipment. Also if there is any fault in the set top box, all the programs will go away when the box is replaced.

mrmarbles

Post by mrmarbles » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:43 pm

Excellent information, thank you.

More info: I have an htpc setup in the living room running kodi for ripped movies, Netflix, etc. I figure I'll transition to media center for tv/dvr function. The second computer is in the bedroom. We currently have time Warner internet, and it is likely the best option for us as long as I am able to use my htpc as the dvr.

So the question is: Will the second computer (in the bedroom) with media center setup with a shared folder be able to play recorded programs from the first computer (living room htpc)? If I have media center on both pcs, do I need an extender, or does the pc itself act as the extender?

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:47 am

Other PCs can't act as extenders but can play shared copy freely recordings, not copy once. Unfortunately, most everything on TWC is copy once, from what I've read. You'll be better off with an extender plus some other small box for your other streaming. Echo will probably go on sale around Easter.

mrmarbles

Post by mrmarbles » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:17 am

Did I read correctly that an xbox 360 could be used as an extender? Does it have the ability to use one of the tuners? I doubt that, but it would solve all my problems with one machine I already own.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:26 am

Yes and yes. It can access all tuners for live TV and all recordings and has a good number of streaming apps, including Netflix.

steveo_in_sd

Post by steveo_in_sd » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:50 am

Xbox 360 is a fool-proof extender. It just works. If the size, power consumption, or fan noise of the 360 aren't a problem for you, there is no better choice. All the other extenders have some kind of issue that make them less than ideal. If you want reliability, go with the 360.

Sharks

Post by Sharks » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:08 am

I'll note this just as a heads up: You can share tuners from one pc to another pc with PCIe6 card but it is NOT supported by ceton and is not for the faint of heart. If you’re planning on sharing tuners between multiple PCs it is highly suggested that you go with ETH6. That being said if you’re like me and wanted everything contained in one computer case (and/or didn't know), you can do it but it isn't easy.