Zoom4 dropped frames on live TV

JoeNezZ

HTPC Specs: Show details

Zoom4 dropped frames on live TV

Post by JoeNezZ » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:45 pm

I have had this unit shelved for some years after never being able to solve this video lag or dropped frames problem under XP MCE people wrote it off as being a glitch in the nvidia GE Force 6 graphics, so I went on to build one using a full ATX M3A board with a cheap ATI HD card which still works great today.

however I would like to get this micro ATX running to give to a friend if I can.

before I give all the specs I will explain what I have done.

a fresh install of win 7 64 home premium & everything seems to work fine with a small flat screen monitor using VGA but when connected to a large plasma through the DVI-D to HDMI adapter is when I have the problem.

I also had it happen with a different tuner using a 32" LCD TV using VGA under XP MCE with this same unit.

it was only after a day of playing around that I related the problem to the zoom4 aspect option.

the problem looks like a continuous slight jump of missing frames only during panning & zoom scene of video as well as the audio can also get out of synch at this point.

changing the media centers zoom to any other setting it will play fine.

it happens during the watching of live analog TV & playback of recorded programs regardless if you are recording or not although the problem is not in the recording as you can change the zoom & the playback will be fine.

as I recall the playback of DVD with all zoom modes plays fine but I am not positive

the mother board has the latest bios adding use of newer processors & upto 8G of ram if need be.

I also installed the latest Nvidia Driver offered through their hardware detection which replaced the win 7 installed driver & gave me the nvidia control panel but made no difference in solving the problem.

the Panasonic TV is identified in the adapter settings & is set to 1080p 1786 x 966 resized to take it to the edge of the screen mask.

the media center setup for flat panel DVI 720P wide screen which fills the screen correctly, I have tried different resolutions & has made no difference with the problem unless I switch to a resolution that is only about half of the screen size without resizing.

the problem also appears as soon as I push the "more" button & the OSD menu appears & stops as soon as the menu goes off screen, so to me I was thinking it is a deinterlacing timing or rescaling issue as zoom4 stretches 4:3 output to fill the screen by pulling the sides out of aspect while leaving the center & perhaps the board does not like this action but I am really not sure, any ideas on this are welcome.

Specs:

Asus M2NPV-VM with onboard Nvidia graphics GeForce 6150 GPU & nForce 430 MCP (VGA, DVI, RGB video & S-Video & TV outputs)

Audio/Video connection method used: DVI to HDMI adapter 4' HDMI cable to TV / Toslink optical cable to surround receiver for sound.

CPU: Athlon 64 x2 5000+ black edition

Tuner: Dell Angel PCI dual analog

Ram: OCZ PC2 6400 1Gb (OCZ2N800SR2GK) x4 installed

sound: on board SPDIF module 5.1 surround

HDD 320Gb IDE

OS Win 7 64

TV Panasonic 42" plasma 1920 x 1080 native resolution HDMI input