HTPC Noob Extender questions

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
cyrusd

HTPC Specs: Show details

HTPC Noob Extender questions

Post by cyrusd » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:06 am

Taking the leap away from TiVO to WMC7 on an HTPC. Got the SiliconDust PRIME tuners, they seem great so far! No real speed bumps so far, except now I have to learn new DVR software :)

I only have two televisions, but would like access to live TV as well as recorded shows (and internet media, etc) from both.

Is my best option an XBox extender? It looks like those start around $199. I could almost piece together a second HTPC (with components I already have on hand) for that price. What are the pros/cons of either route? Would a second WMC7 HTPC be able to access all the media on the "primary" WMC7 HTPC?

cyrusd

Post by cyrusd » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:07 am

And let's assume for the time being I don't care about Kinect, games, etc - simply as a way to access the content on my primary HTPC.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:35 am

The cheapest and fastest approach is buying a used Linksys DMA2100 extender on ebay for less than $100.

If you want to setup another HTPC, then yes, you can add a shared folder from HTPC1 to the media library on HTPC2. However, you won't be able to play any copy-protected content from HTPC1 on HTPC2. For that, you must have an extender. The Linksys DMA2100 is dead silent, smaller, and uses less energy than a second HTPC. However, the interface response time will be quicker on an actual HTPC than an extender.

I hope that helps.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:56 am

I have a DMA2100 and a XBOX 360. Both work well but the 360 far surpasses the DMA2100. The problem with extenders is that most of the stand alone ones are no longer supported or manufactured. The XBOX however is. The new Dashboard update for the 360 is adding a lot of content for TV and Video .. I just Added one to my Bedroom and am VERY happy with it. Extender works flawless and I can even play .mkv's through Media Browser w/o issue. If I were going to buy an Extender today I would get the 360. It's really the "best" option IMO.
newfiend~
Last edited by newfiend on Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

cyrusd

Post by cyrusd » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:56 am

Scallica wrote:The cheapest and fastest approach is buying a used Linksys DMA2100 extender on ebay for less than $100.

If you want to setup another HTPC, then yes, you can add a shared folder from HTPC1 to the media library on HTPC2. However, you won't be able to play any copy-protected content from HTPC1 on HTPC2. For that, you must have an extender. The Linksys DMA2100 is dead silent, smaller, and uses less energy than a second HTPC. However, the interface response time will be quicker on an actual HTPC than an extender.

I hope that helps.
Excellent, thanks - it also occurs to me that the Xbox I already have (no HDMI output) might be a good candidate for the second TV, as it is 720p only. I think I'm on to something, now to figure out this "automatic commercial skipping" business!