HDHomerun Prime/Intel NUC: TV breaks up every few minutes

lazenby

HTPC Specs: Show details

HDHomerun Prime/Intel NUC: TV breaks up every few minutes

Post by lazenby » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:14 pm

Hi, gang.

Using HDHomerun Prime on a brand-new Intel NUC NUC5i3RYH -- here's the model w/ the specs: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ ... i3ryh.html

Intel 530 Series M.2 SSD for boot drive, Samsung SpinPoint 2.5" 1 TB HDD for DVR/recorded TV. Memory is Crucial 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR3/DDR3L. Windows 7 Home Premium. Streaming from the Prime via WiFi -- I know I should have it wired, but I'm in a small apartment, there are no obstructions between the router and the HTPC, and signal quality is generally great.

The problem is the TV stream completely breaks up every few minutes. I haven't timed it exactly but it seems to happen at regular intervals. Stream is great for 15 minutes, then freezes, pixellates, and breaks up for a few seconds, then goes back to normal.

Router and Prime are exactly the same setup I had with my last system, so it's not network quality or WiFi strength. I have the most recent Intel HD Graphics driver installed.

Could it be related to the 29/59 bug? I had the characteristic flickering until I turned off adaptive contrast enhancement.

I can share video of the glitching if necessary. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:29 pm

Here are some things to try. I would try disabling network throttling first as I have seen good results in the past.

https://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5877

If you scroll down on that page, you'll see directions to test for network packet loss. That's a great place to start.

smbunn

Post by smbunn » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:07 am

I have an almost identical set up and same problem, but all wired. The tuner network box is plugged into a 5 port hub with GB Ethernet. The PC is plugged into the same hub and has GB on board. CPU is Intel i5-4660 at 3.4Ghz with quad cores, 16 GB RAM and two SSD drives, one as boot drive and one as data drive (256 GB and 1 TB respectively). The TV signal breaks up at regular intervals.

I strongly suspect the tuner as I used Kodi with a delay on TV display, i.e. I hit the pause button for a minute, and when playing back it breaks up at exactly the same frames each time. If it was CPU bound you would expect some variation.

Any ideas?

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:16 pm

Click the link in the post above.

sbaeder

Post by sbaeder » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:05 pm

I agree with mcewinter...it's not necesssarily the playback, but the recording! And the whole issue of "throttle-ing" the network is what also helped me cure an issue that gave me "DRM/Copy prohibited" errors when in fact it was a tiny glitch in the recorded data stream...

Good Luck!