Setting priority for ETH6 and PCIE4 in the same system?

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
Bill

HTPC Specs: Show details

Setting priority for ETH6 and PCIE4 in the same system?

Post by Bill » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:26 pm

I previously had two PCIE Ceton InfiniTV4s in one box that supplied my living room and extenders. I replaced one of the PCIE versions with a ETH6 to allow my desktops to use the tuners occasionally. I could never get the network sharing to work with the 4s. Is there a way to prioritize the main PC to use the internal PCIE card vs the ETH tuner? I thought i remember reading that live TV goes top to bottom and recorded tv goes bottom to top, but is that true?
HTPCs, InfiniTVs, and Extenders OH MY!

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:44 am

I just found out about this source thing a couple months ago, never really looked into it. Recently, I got interested in it again. I did a search here "list of sources" and got 72 hits. One of those 72 explained your exact situation. (I think it was the ETH6 New firmware one) Haven't read them all yet. It appears that you can move the tuner up the list to prioritize it. (like setting the boot priority in the bios) or (prioritize network connections in Win7).

Open up the guide in WMC, right click a channel, edit source. Don't click split-I did and some sources disappeared- I might have to re-order to get them back, and I'm not sure of the consequences yet.
Attachments
ChannelSources1-4.jpg

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:08 am

The only way I know to do this Is on a channel by channel basis, not global.

For example, go to the guide and right click on a channel number and choose EDIT CHANNEL from the next menu choose EDIT SOURCES and the tuners will open. Each will have a check mark on the left and up/down arrows on the right.

I have found that if you uncheck ALL the ETH tuners and click save/save and tune a channel and then go back and re-check the ETH tuners that in the future the internal card will be used first for live tv and recording.

Moving tuners up/down seems to impact live tv, but I'm not sure it will change choices on recording which are different orders than live tv.

I don't know a way to do this globally. Alternatively you could set-up your other computers to just use the last two tuners on the ETH and set-up the ETH on your main machine to just use the first four tuners and that would prevent conflicts, however that solution removed the "over-flow" insurance you have now which is a feature I find desirable as every once in a while I'll use more than six tuners with overlaps on shows finishing/starting.