infiniTV 6 ETH improves when neighbor switches to TWC

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
infinti34

HTPC Specs: Show details

infiniTV 6 ETH improves when neighbor switches to TWC

Post by infinti34 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:49 pm

So I bought a InfiniTV 6 about a year ago in hopes of replacing my TWC DVR and their exorbitant fees but it never worked reliably enough with constant 'No Signal Found' or similar messages. I decided to give up on it after many hours of trying to make the system stable. It worked occasionally but not good enough.

Then my next door neighbor decides to ditch Dish TV and get TWC. They come out and hook everything up for him and voila, my system is pretty stable now working about 98% of the time. Our houses share a cable junction outside between our houses so I'm wondering if something happened to the signal when they hooked my neighbor up?

I didn't change anything - just tried it again and its been working great. I'm not complaining - just trying to understand why it would make a difference.
Any opinions?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:46 pm

There might have been a leak or a loose connection in the junction box. I would imagine it's normal procedure for the cableco to check all connections and snug them up.

Did you test your signal before/after? Maybe now is the time to start. Have a look around here for AllCetonSignals.zip there are a few versions floating around. find the one for the 6 tuner.

infinti34

Post by infinti34 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:21 pm

Crash2009 wrote:There might have been a leak or a loose connection in the junction box. I would imagine it's normal procedure for the cableco to check all connections and snug them up.

Did you test your signal before/after? Maybe now is the time to start. Have a look around here for AllCetonSignals.zip there are a few versions floating around. find the one for the 6 tuner.
Yes, I didn't keep the signal numbers, but they were essentially the same before and after my neighbor switched. Before my neighbor switched, I called TWC and they came out and tested the signals and they replaced the cable from the junction box to my house. But it made little difference in performance with the InfiniTV 6.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:48 pm

Without doing the work to get the facts, the cableco can tell you anything they want, and you have no choice but to believe it. They said mine was fine, and I was -12.5 to the tuner. -.5 out of spec. If you want to do the work to find out where you stand, look into the zip file I told you about, run it, and see where you are at. This is a hands on hobby. We don't rely on outside influences making or breaking our signal. The only way is to test it yourself so you know. There is plenty of help here if you would like to give it a try, if not, that's fine too.